Kahr P40 range report

headbangerJD

Finally got the chance today to hit the range with my new Kahr P40. I put about 150 rounds through the little monster before I left. This is the first pistol that I have ever owned and shot.

-The first thing I found out was that I need a lot of practice before my aim is going to be any good:D
-The second thing I learned was how snappy the gun is. The recoil isn't uncomfortable in the least, but it does delay follow up shots considerably. After 150 rounds neither my wrist nor my hand were sore at all.
-After cleaning the gun and putting it back together, the slide would not return to its normal position after I racked the slide w/o a magazine. I discovered that the small star screw directly beneath the slide release lever was sticking out by about 1mm, causing the slide release lever to catch the side. I believe that screwing in this star screw will fix the problem, but I have to go buy the star bits in order to screw it back in.
-Throughout 150+ rounds the gun performed flawlessly, no FTF or FTE. I did have a problem racking the slide when I first started, but after another shooter at the range showed me how to properly 'slingshot' the gun after putting in the magazine I had no problems whatsoever.

So, as long as the tightening of the star screw under the slide release lever fixes the one problem that I had, I would have to say that I am extremely pleased with my first pistol.

N.H. Yankee

Sounds like you have a winner, you may want to put some ( small screw )loctite on that screw that backed out, IF it does it again. Do not use regular loctite because you may never get it loose again.

Don't get discouraged on grouping, as a new shooter you'll find it takes a little range time, especially with a small gun in 40 cal. Shoot for groups at first, the speed will come later.

headbangerJD

The screw is in the middle of and directly beneath the slide lock lever. I tried tightening it, but it is actally bent a little, which doesn't allow the slide lever to be pushed all the way in, causing it to catch the slide. Looks like i'll be sending it into Kahr to be fixed...:(