Kahr MK9 --- keep going or bag it?

RsqVet

Kahr MK9 --- Fish or cut bait?

Hi folks I have a new (bought in late November, only recently have had the time to shoot) Kahr MK9 and thus far I’m less then impressed with it. Other than some minor fit and finish problems (it's a sandard not the delux Elite, otherwise these would have bothered me more) it appeared to be a decent gun until I took it to the range --- Details are as follows:

Total round count to date through the pistol is somewhere around 180 (I also had my 226 at the range that day) total 150 or so of practice Ammo (see below) 2 magazines worth of proposed carry ammo and 2 magazines worth of another brand of practice ammo.

On American Eagle 115 gr RN-FMJ pistol fails to feed at liest once (many times 2-3 times) per magazine regardless of grip regardless of lubrication over / under / what I would call just right. Problems occurred with all magazines (4, all factory) and when fired with another brand of practice ammo as well. All magazines were properly loaded and were tried at less than full capacity was well.

Interestingly the pistol did not experience any failures with 2 magazines worth of 115 gr JHP +P, I fired through it out of frustration and curiosity however frankly until it proves it’s worth with FMJ I’m reluctant to waste any more of the rather expensive JHP on it though I did order in 250 rounds for practice and to confirm functioning in the pistol.

In addition when I deliberately held it with a very limp wrist (any limper and it might fly out) for a couple of magazines worth of ammo if anything it seemed to have fewer failures

Kahr’s response thus far has been that this is “normal” as per their two hundred round break in period they detail in their manual. No comment was made as to the frequency of problems I was experiencing. Frankly I am ticked off at the statement that this is break in and normal, when I read about break and so forth in their online manual prior to purchase I assumed (stupid me) that this meant it might have an occasional problem --- not the jam-o-matic that I am experiencing.

So my question is this --- break-in period aside am I just supposed to expect this pistol to start working well in another 50 –100 rounds? That is a little hard to swallow given how it is acting right now. Anyone else out there have problems like this with Kahr or any other pistol for that matter and consider it normal?

I’m pretty disappointed and am very scared with what I am reading and my first response from Kahr’s customer service. I am considering bagging this pistol (for sure if things don’t improve with a few more boxes of various ammo) for something else (to be determined --- want a rugged pocket / can always carry it gun; there are certainly several other choices out there)

Thanks!!!!

U.F.O.

Keep shooting and your prob's will most likely stop. Kahr's DO have a break in period, like it or not. If you run a little #600 sand paper over the feed ramp a few times you'll speed the process up.

U.F.O.

KeithB

That's just the way it is with these pistols, it must be broken in. They have very tight chambers, along with overall fitting. Take that gun only when you go to the range next time along with about 250-300 rounds of ammo and just blast away you'll see it will begin to perk along. :)

9mmsnoopy

i dont have a kahr, though i have considered one as my next handgun. i know all about the "break in" period, but if that happened to me i sure as hell wouldnt like it either. i would give it alittle more time and if it then doesnt function properly i would send it back to kahr or more likely just sell/trade it and get something else. as a potential kahr buyer, im interested in what happens with it. keep us posted please!