Kahr MK9 Elite range report/review

Redlg155

Nice Site!

I got my MK9 a couple of weeks ago and have been 100 percent satisfied. What really impressed me was that I was able to put 150 rds though such a small weapon with minimum fatigue. The worse thing was having to reload the magazines over and over!

And yep, there isn't much clearance..front to rear, on the standard MK9's either. That's why I chose the Corbon 125gr JHP's. How in the world Corbon loads a relatively heavy bullet in the 9mm in such a short OAL is beyond me. All I know is that they work great!

Any hopes of getting some velocity readings from you in the near future? I'd love to see some good velocity reports on standard and +P ammo from these weapons.

Good Shooting
RED

Rovert

Red, thanks. I'm no expert, and don't have a chrono, so I'm definitely not qualified to do any ballistic testing. There were some folks here that were curious about the Kahr just recently, so I figured I'd share my observations. The site is still under construction, so it will be a while yet before it's done.

gbelleh

Nice web site. Great pictures.
I have an MK40 that I am very pleased with. I also have some machine marks between the serrations on my slide that look just like yours, but no dings on the raised areas. Only roughness between them.
Mine also has some rough looking machine marks on the extractor. Kahr offered to replace the extractor for free. I'll probably send it in to have night sights installed. I'll have them replace it then.
Mine has been 100% reliable after 256 rounds of various ammo.

Navy joe

Nice site. Now can someone tell me how I can look at my MK40 and tell if its the "Elite" or not? Is there a SN series difference? What parts in the striker are different?

Blackhawk

Rovert, so that's what you've been up to! I'll be looking forward to seeing as it progresses. I hope you'll put the URL in your tag line if you haven't already.

M1911

Navy Joe:

If your slide has the words "Elite" on it, then it's an Elite. If not, then its not. The Elites have a bit more polishing and a slightly shorter trigger pull.

M1911

Rovert

Joe, what 1911 said. The 'Elite 98' marking is in script at the front right of the frame. The other way to tell is the finish on the gun. The 'regular' MK line is a pebble-ized satin finish, the Elite is brushed.

J

Jeff, CA

Speaking of sharp edges and chamfering, does your magazine well have a sharp edge around it, or has it been chamfered/rounded?

Rovert

Joe, mine is pretty sharp, but it's about the same as the edges on the frame of my Kimber, under the grips, so I guess softening up the edges isn't a priority, since they're assuming you'll have the mag in there.

J

Jeff, CA

I'm not sure if I was clear - I meant around the mag well opening. I'm assuming your Kimber is the same as mine, in that it has some chamfering built into the edge of the opening to ease mag insertion (just a little - I don't mean it has an add-on magazine well). There's enough meat on the Kahr's frame that you could easily a file a chamfer around the opening. I did it on mine, and it turned out pretty well. Since you suggested that you plan on doing some dehorning, you might look at this area.

Rovert

Jeff, sorry... I'm the one who wasn't clear. Yes, the mag well opeining on the Kahr is sharp, but my point was that I don't know if it's any better or worse than on any other steel framed gun. I used the edges of the frame under the grip panels on my Kimber as an example of how other makers don't finish all edges, but it was a bad illustration, since I was referring to a different area.

Russ

I have the MK40. I love it. However, it beats the hell out of the webbing of my hand between thumb and index finger after 100 rounds or so. Does the MK9 do the same?

Rovert

Russ, I shot 100 rounds through mine the first day I had it, and didn't experience what you describe, but then again, it's the 9, not 40, so that might account for the discomfort.

M1911

Russ:

I have the same experience when shooting my K40 -- it beats up the web of my hand. But I don't not feel that with either my K9 or MK9. The K9 has very little felt recoil. The MK9 a bit more, but still not objectionable and much more comfortable than my K40.

M1911

Rovert

Russ, I hear 'ya. Hey, can you imagine those die-hard Glock guys that insist on buying a G27?!?!? Man, a light polymer gun with next to zero mass on the other end of a .40 isn't my idea of fun. The gun needs to be controllable, and I don't see the G27 as being in that category.