Kahr MK9 and brass- solutions?

bk40

Picked up a new MK9 Elite 98 last week. Great pistol and absolutely the best DAO trigger I've ever experienced. Its been completely reliable thru the break-in 200rds and accuracy is plenty good.

The only negative with this pistol (and not a problem for non reloaders) is its habit of beating up the brass empties... eg, case mouths deformed pretty badly. I have researched this topic here at TFL and found that some of you have switched to stronger Wolff recoil springs. This option is not available for the MK series.

Is anyone else having this same experience and is there a fix?

riddleofsteel

Kahr shooters know this problem well. it seems about 2/3 or Kahrs do this consistently. you can reload most of them by just running them thru a full length resizing die but i don't like to. i have got to were i just shoot PMC FMJ thru my K40 and throw the brass away. i do however load for other .40's. a lot of folks shooting Glock .40's are doing the throw away thing due to potential KABOOMS.

------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what is for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
Let he that hath no sword sell his garment and buy one. Luke 22-36
They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night. Song of Solomon 3-8
The man that can keep his head and aims carefully when the situation has gone bad and lead is flying usually wins the fight.

Bullwinkle

Mine does that too. Big ding about mid point on the case and a small fold over on the mouth. The sizing die and belling should take that out no problem. Those are also parts of the brass that are well supported by the chamber(particularly the tight Kahr chambers). No worries. I save my brass but havent figured out how to reload 9 for much cheeper that I can by it so I dont bother.

bk40

riddleofsteel and Bullwinkle, thanks for the replies. I guess "brass assault" is the price to be paid for shooting a true sub-compact pistol.