Kahr MK-40

Navy joe

I may just break my SA ways with a Kahr. Anyone have substantial bad to say about the MK40? What is a fair price for used one that looks new? I'd say maybe 100 or so rounds fired and no carry wear? Thanks.

gbelleh

I just got a new MK40 in Dec. 2001 and have nothing bad to say about it. You won't hear many bad things about the all steel Kahrs.
Mine now has 256 rounds through it. The gun has functioned perfectly and is a lot more accurate and fun to shoot than I expected!
Most used MK40s I've seen are between $400 and $500.
It's a great little gun, good luck finding one.

Erik

I bought my NIB Mk40 for $450 in December when the gun show rolled through town.

Shop around and I imagine you can find used ones in the high three hundreds. I saw one or two for around $400 at the same gun show.

The elite trigger group is a worthy upgrade. Not a hundred bucks worthy, though, imo.

sandster

The Kahr Mk40 is one of the finest firearms I've ever owned. It is accurate, powerful, reliable, and easy to shoot, plus the chamber is fully supported. I have the Elite model, the machining is first rate, there are absolutely no machine marks inside or out, the trigger is buttery smooth, a gun you can have real "pride of ownership" in. I can't say enough good things about this gun! I like the Wolff non-captive guide rod setup w/ extra power recoil springs, helps not to throw brass as far. Highly recommended!

Navy joe

Is this trigger group something you can buy and install yourself? How does one ID the Elite from a normal gun if buying used?

Russ

I got an MK40 in October of 2000. I paid $399 new for it in the PRK. I think they dumping them because the Nazi Laws Gray Davis signed into law made pistols have to go on an approved list starting 1/01. At the time the Karhr wasn't approved. It is now. Regular price on it was $499. I think that was good. They are great guns.

Navy joe

Well, tis mine for 425, 450 after taxes of course. It was priced at 475 and he came off of it for a regular customer. My favorite pawn shop, if it was a gun shop it would have been listed as new all the way. So, LNIB with all papers and such.

What a gun! Studying it from someone who has machined stuff, its beautiful, you can tell its true that the company went after it with quality materials and really good CNC. So, it meets my criteria of one nice piece of steel! A radical departure from my normal ones though, but being so tiny you can't help but to love it. What mods have you MK series owners made, and how good are the factory tritium sights?

gbelleh

I've been considering sending my MK40 in to have night sights installed and a stainless steel guide rod installed.

Also, my extractor has some strange looking, small machine marks on it. It is purely cosmetic and doesn't cause any function problems, but Kahr offered to replace it for free.

The factory offers some choices of night sights. Check the Kahr web site, accessories page. They have Novak, Meprolight, Big Dot and Trijicon.

According to an e-mail from Kahr, they will install Trijicon night sights for $96.25 parts and labor.

KSFreeman

Navy joe, just joined the ranks of the Moonie guns recently. I now carry P9 as backup. A couple of shooting buddies carry Mk40s as backups and have nothing negative to report. I prefer the larger grip so I have more to grab hold of during presentation (helps when I'm running). You are right to get the nightsights.

BTW, the Kahr is SA, TCO. You can only fire it one way. You'll get used to the trigger, another excuse to buy ammo.