Kahr CW9 vs PM9?

SCDeac82

Hello Everyone:

Thinking about a small 9 for a CCW....is it worth the extra $ for the PM, or is the CW equally reliable for SD use?

Thanks for any input.

JB

JCP281

I think it is, for the smaller pistol.

I used to have a CW9 but found it was to big. I could get the same size(but not thickness) pistol that would hold more rounds. For an IWB holster im willing to add a little more thickness. The PM9 I can fit in my pocket.

I liked the CW, but it just wasnt what I was wanting.

Billy Shears

I prefer the CW9 myself and have carried one concealed for some time now with no problems.

That being said, I saw pictures last week where Kahr recently showed a new pistol, the "CM9" at the SHOT Show. This looks like a pistol the size of the PM9 in the price range of the CW9. May be just what you are looking for.

Dashunde

Best of both worlds

Perhaps wait a bit for the new CM9?
Its the smaller PM9, only its supposed to be much less expensive, similar to the way the CW9 is much less pricey than the P9.
Word is 3-4 months until it hits dealers.

I really liked my PM9 and now that this new CM9 is coming out I'll no doubt pick one of those up.

fwiw... I prefer to shoot the CW9 because I can get all my fingers on it, but the PM9 is noticably more comfortable to carry.

Squibb

I love my CW9, and while I keep looking at the PM9, I keep backing off due to the price. So, I am looking forward to the CM9's introduction; supposedly, please note I said supposedly, in April. And the MSRP is supposed to be around $500 to $550.

It appears the CM will be similar to the CW, in that it will have less tooling and finishing, therefore costing less. I find the more simple lines of the CW preferable to the PM, so I'm hoping, assuming we'll see that, as well.

However, if you are leaning toward the CW series, now is the time. Bud's is selling all three of the CW models for $366 each, and that includes shipping! That is almost $100 less than I paid for mine last June.:eek:

Willis83

The CW9 is equally reliable as the PM9. Go to Kahr's website and they outline all the differences b/w CW9 and PM9 series. CW has conventional barrel rifling while PM9 has polyganal, CW comes with 1 mag, while PM9 ships with 2 and so on. Kahr changed a few minor things that do not affect reliability or function with the CW series to make the pistol less costly to produce.

Question is which size of pistol do you want? That's how I would make the decision b/w the 2. The PM9 has a shorter grip and bbl length than CW9.

marcodo

Not to hijack this...but since there are alot of CW9 owners here...

Was at the LGS and handled the CW9. It felt great. My problem was when I tried racking the slide. It was VERY stiff. I almost couldn't get it back. I know for sure my wife would not be able to rack it. I own many semi-auto's and this was stiffer than I have ever felt on any gun.

Had the shop worker try...he had a hard time and actually took the thing apart and reoiled it. Not sure that made a big difference though. He felt it would loosen up after the breakin...is this normal?

I really was looking for something for my wife and the CW9 fit the bill...now I'm having second thoughts

Squibb

JCP is right. They are tight from the factory. The first 3 or 4 times I broke it down I had a hack of a time getting the spring and rod seated again. It started to loosen up after a couple of hundred rounds.

I suggest you find someone that has a CW and let your wife try cycling it a few times

mukibetser

Haven't handled the CW9, but all I can say is I am very impressed and pleasantly surprised by my brand new PM9. I really didn't expect it to be that accurate or fun or comfortable to shoot. It is all of those things. While not a range gun, the recoil is negligible with standard pressure 9mm ammo (haven't tried +p yet). I enjoyed shooting it at 10-15 yards, Still in the break-in period but not one hitch in the first 50 rounds. It's also my first striker fired gun but I like the trigger a lot -- very smooth. I highly recommend one.

jreXD9

Yes, the CW is equally reliable for SD. I have both, along with a CW45. (Hey, I like Kahr.) Yep, the PM can be pocket carried, but other than that.....6 of 1 and 1/2 dozen of another. Accuracy-wise, my PM9 shoots tighter than the CW, but I shoot the CW45 better than either of those. If you are leaning towards the CW9 then you should consider the CW45. It's only a little heavier.....and it's a .45.....and it's $200 less than the PM.
So, how's that for a little different angle and more confusion?

SCDeac82

Thanks for the input guys.

I had not heard about the new model coming out.

BTW, anybody know where Kahrs are mfg'd?

JB

nate45

Go to a gun store, look at and handle both. If you believe you can live with the larger size of the CW9, then get it. You'll save some money and it will serve you well.

Which one do I like? The PM9, its small, but feels like a big pistol in your hand. Its more accurate and easier to handle (for me) than snub revolvers. My example has never malfunctioned.

100_0901.jpg

Smaller, more accurate(I believe) and twice as powerful as a .380 PPK. Whats not to like? :cool: