Kahr CW9 or CW40?

larryf1952

I've never owned a polymer framed pistol before, or a striker fired pistol, except for an...ahem...Jennings...ahem...but, I'm considering a Kahr CW9 or CW40 as a small, concealable package should I decide to finally CC at some point in the near future. I've read some good things about the CW9, and I like the looks and size of this pistol. It seems to have everything that I'd be looking for in a compact, slim DAO package. I'm not interested in Glocks or M&P's, or SR9c's, etc. If I decide to go this route, I want it to be a Kahr. Now, I've never held a Kahr outside of a gunshop, and I've never fired one, so I have no clue as to reliability or potential problems.

I'm OK with the 9mm...I have a number of full sized 9mm pistols (as well as .40 and .45), but for a small defensive carry weapon, I'm wondering if the 7th round of 9mm would be a definite advantage over the 6 rounds of .40, which I'm drawn to favor as a defensive round with the 155 or 165 grain JHP loadings.

I'd be interested in hearing real world experiences and testimonies from those who have either of these guns, and knowing what you think about them. They seem to be a neat package for a small price.

Hairbag

Both

I have both I prefered to shoot the CW9 until I had the p40 ported by maganaport Now the P40 shoots like a 9. If you go with the 40 i highly recommend getting it maganaported.

CWKahrFan

My first Kahr was CW45 w/Crimson Trace. Liked it so much I got a CW9 (w/o CT) a few months later. The 9 is my carry about 1/2 the time. I favor it for carry over the 45 only because it's slightly smaller/lighter than the 45... feel about equally armed with either one. I have extended (Kahr) mags for both. (Sometimes I use the extended mags for carry, usually not... but I like having the option. I ALWAYS carry with one in the pipe BTW.)

I researched the heck out of 'em before I bought. Whichever you decide to get (first, heh heh)... you won't be going wrong. Very reliable. Enjoyable at the range. Accurate. The 9 is a particularly sweet shooter. The 45 is stronger, of course, but nice compared to others I've shot. Kahr CWs are the best value in single-stacks IMHO.

Last edited:

Luis Leon

Kahr CWs are the best value in single-stacks IMHO.

I agree, you can pick up any one of the three CW series Kahrs for a very good price these days.

I have quite a few 9mm pistols and the Kahr CW9 has replaced them all as my EDC. I love its thinness and light weight (22 ounces fully loaded). I wear it all day and it doesn't poke or prod me. Very pleasant to shoot at the range, and more than accurate enough for its intended purpose of self defense. After all the hoopla dies down I plan on adding a CM9 to the stable. For me Kahrs had been sleepers for a long time. I'm awake now;)

hblac

CW9 Vs CW40

I really like my CW9. Its pretty accurate, fairly light and conceals fairly well. It's quite a bit thinner than my Glock 26. The G-26 is more accurate but just too dang thick to carry IWB.

The CW40 which I rented was just WAY to snappy. I had a real hard time with accurracy with that one. Get the CW9.

larryf1952

As a few of you have said, one of the main reasons that I've been attracted to the Kahr CW is the slimness of the frame, due to the single stack mag. I like this feature with regard to concealment, especially in warm weather. Recoil doesn't generally bother me, but for a defensive gun, and although I tend to favor the .40 over the 9mm as a defensive round, I don't want to make things more difficult than necessary in trying to keep shots on target, if that should ever happen. This is also why the 7th round of 9mm seems to be a bonus. I love the .45 in my 1911's, but I think in a gun the size of a CW, it'd just be too tough to control in quick fire. I think I'm leaning towards the CW9... :)

larryf1952

OK, I did it...I ordered the CW9 from Bud's...couldn't pass up the deal. Here's hoping that my first foray into the world of polymer framed and striker fired pistols goes well!

dogbone

I had a CW40 for a short time, you won't be disappointed. Nice quality gun, easy to carry, I couldn't shoot it for the life of me, but that's all me not the gun.

Be wary of the spring that intrudes in the take-down lever hole. It isn't a problem area, you just have to take care not to snag the lever on it when you are reassembling.

MW surveyor

Go to Khartalk and

read the stickeys regarding breakin and also lube BEFORE YOU TAKE IT TO THE RANGE! This will pretty much assure you of a trouble free breakin.

I bought a CW9 about 3 months ago. Have nearly 1500 rounds through it without one hitch.

Make sure that you load the first round using the slide release. If you try to sling shot the first round on a new pistol, you may get a failure to fire.

The long DA does take a bit of practice to get used to, but it is very smooth.

The grip is pretty agressive so you may also want to put on a "kahr tire", piece of bike tube.

billnourse

I have owned both in P rather than PM, and still have the 40. I tend to prefer hanguns that begin with 4, so my choice is going to be PM-40, but keep in mind, if you choose the 40, it is going to be considerably snapper on recoil than the 9. If that is an issue with you, then the 9 is going to be a better choice.

Bill

CWKahrFan

"OK, I did it...I ordered the CW9 from Bud's"

Yo Larry... Thanks for letting us know! You'll be another CWKahr fan within a week...

Lefty Shotlow

Had a CW9. I really miss it. Very accurate and a soft shooter. Great quality handgun. Shot the CW40 also, but it was harsh and difficult to handle.

PS. I'm not recoil shy, in fact I shoot 1911's more than my 9's.

larryf1952

I mailed the MO off to Bud's today, so my CW9 should be in in less than a week. I also ordered a spare mag from TGSCOM for about $10 less than listed on the Kahr website.

I told my wife that I'd made a new purchase, and she said, "Let me see it!" I showed her a pic on Kahr's site, but she was leery when I described to her how the DAO mechanism works. I've been shooting handguns since the mid '70's, but, like me, she's not shot an exclusively DAO pistol before. I think she was bothered by the apparent idea of a live round in the chamber, and the lack of a hammer and a manual safety or decocker that she could operate.

I told her we'd just have to take it to the range so that she could see how it functioned. She seemed to be OK with that. :)