Kahr CW9; good deal?

Contrast Man

So I was cruising the internet and I came across what, to me, seems like a pretty good deal. It's a Kahr CW9 for ~$250 with free shipping (link included below). I've shot one of these many moons ago, around 2012. I enjoyed it, but I didn't have the money for it or really a need for it either. Seeing it now for $250, I can't help but think it would be worth it just to have a single stack polymer on hand. I shoot DA revolvers so a long smooth trigger doesn't bother me at all. The 2-dot sights are different, but not necessarily the end of the world. Potential uses would be range/potential carry.

TL;DR Is a Kahr CW9 a good buy at $250?

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...automatic-9mm-3565-barrel-71-rounds?a=1821432

Also, has anyone dealt with sportsmansguide.com before? I have zero experience with them.

Kwik2010

I was on the fence about getting one for quite a while and was waiting for a deal like that to come around. I wouldn't say it's the deal of the century but I'd probably jump on it. I enjoyed shooting my buddy's. His never suffered from the "first round in the mag jamming if slide is released by hand" problem. Not saying it does or doesn't exist but I had read that in a few places. That one ran great. I've seen em as low as 288.99 here at cabelas.

His never suffered from the "first round in the mag jamming if slide is released by hand" problem. Not saying it does or doesn't exist but I had read that in a few places.
It isn't hand releasing, it is riding the sllide home that causes the problem. A bad habit for any gun, but a real problem with Kahrs. You and your buddy probably just racked the slide properly(all the way back and a clean release).

I'd jump on that with one caveat. You aren't considering their higher series pistol with polygonal barrels. There is a significant price gap, but I believe greater value in the more refined models.

Kwik2010

It isn't hand releasing, it is riding the sllide home that causes the problem. A bad habit for any gun, but a real problem with Kahrs. You and your buddy probably just racked the slide properly(all the way back and a clean release).

Noted. I should have clarified better. I just remember someone claiming that Kahr instructs everyone to only use the slide release to chamber the first round and to not use your hand on the slide at all. I worded it badly. Sorry for the confusion to the OP.

2damnold4this

Also, has anyone dealt with sportsmansguide.com before? I have zero experience with them.

I have never bought a firearm from the sportsmansguide but I have bought a lot of other items from them. I always have had good experiences.

dean1818

Its a better gun than some people would have you believe

I HAD a few Kahrs, back when I thought pocket carry was my preferred way of CC
(I had a CM9, mk9) - Try sitting and dgging out a pistol (any pistol) from your pocket

I ONLY IWB carry now......

The problem with Kahrs, IMHO

1) The slide stop design is a bit ridiculous as part of the spring actually sticks out

2) The Mag design is a weakspot as followers sometimes crack, or rounds nosedive

3) The LONG trigger is smooth...... But I was never able to master a true Accurate double tap. which I can do with a 40cal in M&P (Maybe number 3 is on me :) )

4) A breakin of 200 rounds is required......... (they do hiccup before this amount, thats $50 that could go to another gun)

The good side of Kahrs.

1) Thin 2) light 3) smallest 9mm 4) They ARE reliable after breakin

My 2 cents, but the M&P9C and M&P Shield are better designs and worth the extra $

Charlie98

I love the CW/CM9 series Kahrs... I have 4 of them (3CW's and 1CM) and they are my EDC pistol. I think I paid right at $300 for my last one, and they seem to be discounting them further lately... I saw them sub-$300 at the Fort Worth gun show yesterday. I think they are the deal of the century.

Like pretty much every other gun, they have their quirks, but as long as you familiarize yourself with it, you will be good to go.

Contrast Man

I'd jump on that with one caveat. You aren't considering their higher series pistol with polygonal barrels.

I'm not considering those, I would probably go a completely different route if I was spending closer to $600-700.

I just remember someone claiming that Kahr instructs everyone to only use the slide release to chamber the first round and to not use your hand on the slide at all.

I've heard this too, not a deal killer for me.

I have never bought a firearm from the sportsmansguide but I have bought a lot of other items from them. I always have had good experiences.

Good to know, like I said, I never heard of them until very recently.

Like pretty much every other gun, they have their quirks, but as long as you familiarize yourself with it, you will be good to go.

This seems to be the overall takeaway from what I'm seeing. I'm fortunate enough to work for a company that gives out quarterly bonuses so come March, I think this will be my next acquisition, provided they're still in stock and at the same price!

WVsig

I like mine. It is a little finicky but once you shoot enough rounds and pick a JHP that runs you are good to go.

The only downside of the Kahr platform is that they have a long reset. You can out run your gun. You need to get used to the reset in order to run it at speed.

In a gun as small as the CW9 polygon rifling will not matter one bit IMHO. I used mine as a summer carry gun for years.

Mosin44az

I have owned 4 and couldn’t trust any of them for carry. They do shoot nice, and 250 isn’t much of a risk. The CW as I recall is the size of the original K9, the oldest design envelope so less likely to be problematic in my view.

Contrast Man

The only downside of the Kahr platform is that they have a long reset. You can out run your gun. You need to get used to the reset in order to run it at speed.

This would be my main concern. I usually shoot single action and I carry an SR9c which has a decently short reset for what it is. On the other hand, I do love shooting my 686 in DA, which has a super smooth but long travel. It would just be different getting used to making sure I don't short stroke the trigger. Nothing that can't be trained, especially in that 200 round break-in.

WVsig

This would be my main concern. I usually shoot single action and I carry an SR9c which has a decently short reset for what it is. On the other hand, I do love shooting my 686 in DA, which has a super smooth but long travel. It would just be different getting used to making sure I don't short stroke the trigger. Nothing that can't be trained, especially in that 200 round break-in.
Don't forget that mags are expensive and the pistol only comes with 1 IIRC. They are $30+ a pop. With its capacity and the nature of the gun I would carry a spare so add $30+ to the cost of the gun.

Contrast Man

I automatically figured it came with 2 mags. Thanks for pointing that out. A quick search shows mags around $35-40, making that $250 price jump up to $290. Or $330 if I want 3 total mags. At $330, this puts me a lot closer to a Shield. Or a few bucks more and now I'm in PPS land. Both of which I've never shot but hear great things about each all the time.

Now I've got to ask myself do I really want a single stack 9?

Charlie98

Now I've got to ask myself do I really want a single stack 9?

Yes, you do.

I bought my first CW9 as an experiment... dipping the toe into the poly auto world. I didn't WANT to like the thing, but after the first range session, I couldn't help but love it. My issue is concealment... a single-stack 9 is perfect for me, and the Kahr works incredibly well in that application. Once you get used to the trigger, and the reset, you will be fine... just don't expect to run 400rds through a 1911 and then switch to the Kahr, intending to burn out the X-ring in the first mag... it takes a wee bit of time to adjust to the trigger.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not a Kahr fanboy. I didn't care for the P45 I had, and I think the .380's have some serious teething problems, but the CW9 is as rock solid as you can get, assuming you get a good example.

5whiskey

I have carried my CW9 many miles. I have several thousand rounds through it with exactly one failure in the break in period. If you shoot a revolver well, the kahr platform should not be a problem for you. Also mine came with 2 mags IIRC, however I purchased mine in 2009 when they were still in the $430 range. At $250 it is a very solid option.

Jim Watson

I have an old E9 that took some break-in and adjustment but turned out fine.
My CW9 has been trouble free, even through the 200 round break in ritual. It is an NRA Banquet gun, apparently the winner took it immediately to the local FFL and traded it in on something he really wanted.

I agree that the polygonal vs conventional barrel stuff is pure advertising of no significance in a hideout gun.

libiglou

I agree with much that everyone has said. I have one that I just can not shoot it well. Its going to my BIL as soon as him and I find the time. I was going to trade it in but was offered $125 and decided to gift it instead. I have a HK p30sk that replaced it that is just in a whole other class. Good luck