Kahr CW380/P380

EdInk

I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with either of these two pistols? Some of the reviews online have been "mixed" about them.

I am contemplating trading my Ruger LCP toward one. Is it worthwhile?

Tomac

My wife has the P380 for her CCW (and I have a CM9 for those times I simply can't carry anything larger).
With hers we did the suggested prep work (manually cycle the action 200 times, leave it overnight w/the slide locked back, clean/lube) before firing the first time (stiff recoil spring, takes some effort to cycle the slide).
So far it's been 100% w/FMJ & the Buffalo Bore 100gr +P hardcast.
Trigger is long but light & smooth w/no manual safety to worry about under stress, the wife likes it. Added a Hogue Handall Jr rubber grip sleeve to make it more comfortable for her to shoot (had to trim the bottom just a bit, easy DIY job).
Had to press the mag release fairly hard to get mags to release (common report w/the P380) so my 'smith worked on the mag release a little and now all mags release normally.
Bottom line: Wife likes it despite being recoil-sensitive, the small size and light weight makes it easier for her to carry than larger pistols (like her SIG P250sc .380).
HTH...
Tomac

SpareMag

Have the P380, bought new. The book says 200 ounds breakin.

It is closer to 600. I felt the mag go in as soon as I hit the breakin point, everything finally felt RIGHT.

Has been perfect since, but the breakin cycle is a pain..and expensive.

Versus the Ruger, I have no opinion. The Kahr is a good, tight, durable weapon. Have a CW9 and K9, which is probably one of the premier small 9s out there.

Trigger pull is long, but it has no safety, and these aint competition guns. When used, it will be at close range with limited need to aim, so the trigger pull to me is not an issue.

Last edited:

bt380

The loaded cm9 is heavier than the loaded cw380. Find out how the wife is going to carry it. If her purse is a thin strapped purse, it will pull on her shoulder an you will never hear the end of it and the gun will stay home where you can then start to carry it...hmmmm, never mind the above, get her the cm9....

toolguy2006

Try the trigger! From limited personal experience, the accuracy out of the Kahrs that I have been able to shoot was good, but the trigger pull is, shall we say, "unique".

kahrguy

toolguy2006 Have you pulled the trigger on a ruger lcp?? No !! might be your answer as the kahr trigger is waaay better yet still of the same basic design. That would be a DA type.

delink The cw380 interest me as I have CC'd one of several of there 9mm's and for almost 4 years but the P series, No not at the prices they ask. I have bought 2 taurus tcp 380's to carry and my daughter and wife claimed them. Buy far a better micro than any for the price. I still want a 380 and may wait for a cw380 to handle but I know atleast the Taurus C and D series of there tcp is a very hard pistol to better.