KAHR CW models 9mm or .40??

Logs

Kahr CW40 3.5" SS, Poly Frame $359.09

KAHR CW9093 CW9 9MM 3.5 SS POLY FRAME $359.09 ( www.budsgunshop.com ) Paris, KY

I have a Glock 26 and 19, but I was thinking of getting a KAHR CW model. Any suggestions on whether to get the 9mm over the .40 cal. I am leaning towards the CW model for the price and weight.

thanks,

Mike

Last edited:

Redneckrepairs

I would say pick your favorite cal between 9 and 40 . My Kahrs are 9s but its a personal preferance not any advantage ( other than cheaper practice ammo ) over a 40 for any particular use .

rodney1968

where did you find a cw9 for that price?
my local gun shop wants $445.00
what can you expect to pay for one of those?

BUCKMARK

A dealer on Gunbroker.com had them in 9mm for $338.00 plus shipping and credit card was same price as cash.

The CW40 is a handfull, so if you are recoil shy I wouldnt suggest it. Go to a local range that has both guns and shoot both and decide from there. Not really a big difference between the 9mm and .40 in the practical sense. The .40 has proven slightly more effective then the 9mm and is better at defeating tactical barriers. I personally would suggest the CW9 but what is good for me and what is good for you are two seperate things.

Logs,

I bought a CW9 a few months ago at the Oakwood in Middletown for $425 (+tax). I've been really surprised with its performance so far. It's become my primary carry. I'm in Louisville, so if you'd like to check mine out sometime you're more than welcome to if we can work out a time to meet up. (We met once upon a time at Knob Creek... I shot your AR and you shot my XD, if I remember correctly.)

Logs

Thanks for the advice guys...

Prices were pulled from www.budsgunshop.com

Quickdraw - Thanks for the note. I ended up buying the XD right after that. Thank You.

I am a member of the JCSC on the Jefferson / Bullitt Co line. We have a 5 lane indoor pistol range. PM me your info and maybe we can go shooting sometime.

Mike

NWCP

I'd go with the 9mm. I have a Kahr PM9 and have shot the .40. The 9mm is a handful as it is. The .40 can be painful. I just shot the 9mm better and felt more comfortable with the recoil. I wouldn't want a steady diet of either on range days, but then that's not what they're made for. If the price you saw is correct that's a good buy. Kahrs are a bit spendy.

Keep in mind that I'm not overly sensitive to recoil (I shoot my .44 and .454 pretty often,) but I don't notice much (any?) more recoil in my CW9 than I do with my XD9 or my SP101 with +P 38's. I difinitely wouldn't consider it punishing in any way, unless you count sore thumbs from loading magazines.

Socrates

Kahr CW40 3.5" SS, Poly Frame

Just bought this gun. I need a flatter then a 360PD CCW gun.

I need something that's as flat as a Beretta 950, but, near as light as the 360PD.

What ammo works with this thing?

Comments?

Thanks
S

Socrates

Anybody have a preference?

DoubleTap .40 S&W Penetration / expansion
135gr. Nosler JHP @ 1375fps - 12.10" / .72"
155gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1275fps - 13.00" / .76"
165gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1200fps - 14.0" / .70"
180gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1100fps - 14.75" / .68"
200gr XTP @ 1050fps - 17.75" / .59"

ChicagoTex

Mine's a .40
Kahr-2.jpg

Maybe I have different standards of "recoil" and "a handful" but I don't agree it's very difficult to shoot at all, I, in fact, find it fun to shoot and no I don't shoot huge magnums.

izzkidioto

I would venture to say, if it is going to be used as a daily carry...buy it used, you will save tons of money. It won't be used to look pretty...it is going to get bumped around and sweat on. If you don't like it, you won't be out a whole lot cause you got it used to begin with.

I have a P9 and love it. I felt a buddy's with a hogue rubber grip slid on there, and wow, magic. Got mine used and it is still kickin.

NewPistol002.jpg

Giddy up!

ChicagoTex

I would venture to say, if it is going to be used as a daily carry...buy it used, you will save tons of money. It won't be used to look pretty...it is going to get bumped around and sweat on. If you don't like it, you won't be out a whole lot cause you got it used to begin with.

With a new price of just over $400 you don't actually stand to save much buying used, $50 at most.

That said, I'll be the first to admit that the Kahr CWs, even when bran-spanking new, are somewhat ugly ducklings - so cosmetics are no worries.

mini14jac

I've got the 9, and I'd recommend it.
Most of the polymer gun issues I've seen have been in .40 cal. guns.
In my opinion, it's just a tad too much power for the small frames.
Most tests show that performance between the two is really close, though the .40 is supposed to be better at barrier penetration.

With the 9, you can practice with standard pressure ammo, and carry +P.
With a .40, it's all max power.
And, a 9mm is going to be cheaper and more fun to shoot, so you'll want to shoot more.

Also, I would stick with a new gun.
Kahr has been known to deny warranty coverage on used guns.
If you call them, they'll tell you that the warranty applies to the original owner only.
Though, if you buy a used gun, and it hasn't been back for repairs, and you don't tell them it's used, they may fix it.
If you are inside of the 5 year warranty period, and they don't ask for proof of purchase. :rolleyes:

Kraziken

I just picked up one today used.

The price wasn't much different, $50, but I looked at both guns side by side, it didn't look like it had been fired much.

I've had some good luck with used guns lately, so I said what the hell. Can't wait to try it out.