Kahr customization; shortened grip?

Ivanhoe

In the Kahr product line, it seems like the one missing configuration is a "K9 Covert", i.e. a K9 with the grip (and mag) shortened to MK9 height. Anybody know of a smith who does such work?

thanx

denfoote

The way I understand it, the K40 covert was a transitional design between the K40 and the MK40. Sort of a stop-gap measure till they had the design bugs worked out in shrinking the K40 down to MK size. It had a lot to do with the added stresses caused by the higher pressure .40S&W round. No such engineering problems with the 9mm. Hence, no need for a K9 covert.
I hope that makes sense. :D

Ivanhoe

I really don't like the idea of a high-velocity round like the 9x19 being shot out of a 3" barrel. Since I'm a IWB or fannypack kinda guy, rather than pocket carry, I'd rather have as much barrel and velocity as possible (not to mention sight radius).

Plus, the Covert configuration just "looks and feels right". :D

Preacherman

I know a couple of guys who took the early-production P9 and carved off the bottom of the polymer grip frame until it was the same height as the MK9. They found that MK9 magazine floorplates could be put on the P9 mags, and worked fine in the cut-down grip, and the shorter MK9 magazines also worked fine. I guess this is as close as one could get to what you're suggesting... I don't think the steel frame of the K9 would lend itself to much cutting! :D