Kahr CM9 Report

KyJim

I've been searching for a subcompact pistol that was the perfect combination of caliber, size, trigger, ergonomics, and features. I may have found it in the Kahr CM9. The CM9 came out a couple of months ago and is the less expensive version of the PM9. It has a standard barrel, rather than the polygonal rifling of the PM9. The CM9 also has a bit less machining on the slide and a fixed rear sight.

Today I made it to the range for a second time with it. The fist trip was flawless with FMJ but a couple of failures to feed with Speer Gold Dots. Kahr recommends 200 break-in rounds and I had tried to cheat a bit. :) Between trips, I racked the slide w/o spring a couple of hundred times and, at the range, put another 100 rounds through it. Then I tried the Gold Dots again. They shot great except for when I deliberately held the gun loosely which caused a minor failure to feed on two rounds. Tap, rack, and bang. With a firm grip, perfect.

Trigger is smooth and not too heavy. Sights are the dot over dot (like in straight 8s) and very functional. Despite the light weight, there is less felt recoil than I expected. I attribute this to the good ergonomics of the pistol. All this combined meant I shot the gun as well as or better than any double action or striker fired subcompact I've owned. BTW, that includes my airweight .38 snubbies.

The CM9 is a pocket pistol with the right pants and is a good choice for carry in an IWB holster when I don't want to carry a heavier pistol. I am keeping my mouse guns for certain clothing I wear and I'll still carry a 1911 most of the time, clothing permitting. Still, it's nice to have options and I plan on carrying the Kahr for awhile to get feel for it.

The pistol has a three inch barrel and comes with one mag, a six rounder:

KahrCM9_DSCN9608.jpg

Tucked inside a DeSantis Nemesis holster, the gun should be ideal for pocket carry in khakis and pants with larger pockets; probably not tight jeans:

KahrCM9_DSCN9616.jpg

I purchased a Silent Thunder Kydex/leather holster from Garrett Industries. It has a Kydex shell and a thin layer of leather on the inside. You get the moisture shield of Kydex and the softer leather for less wear on the gun finish and it feels like leather when you draw. Garrett used to have an affiliation with Tucker Gun Leather but Tucker is no longer mentioned in connection with these holsters:
KahrCM9_DSCN9613.jpg

Cant is adjustable with provided allen wrench. Tension is also adjustable via two screws. Mine was a little tight so I loosened it up enough that I could draw it without getting a wedgie but tight enough so the gun won't fall out when held upside down.
KahrCM9_DSCN9614.jpg

Here's a side view of the Garrett Silent Thunder. You can see the slim leather lining. I haven't carried with it yet but I think I'm going to like it:
KahrCM9_DSCN9630.jpg

ghalleen

Thanks!

Thanks for the review.

Total coincidence, but I just got back from the local gun store, looking at this same gun. I liked the feel, and it had a decent trigger. I may go back in the next few days to get it.

KyJim

Total coincidence, but I just got back from the local gun store, looking at this same gun. I liked the feel, and it had a decent trigger. I may go back in the next few days to get it.
As you can tell, I really liked the trigger for what it is. It doesn't compare with a 1911 trigger but it's better than the other guns of its type I've shot.

WVsig

I almost got one of these but ended up with the CW9. I felt like I could not pocket carry this one and the CW9 felt a little better in my hand because of the larger grip....

The Kahr trigger is very good considering what it is.

JC57

Nice write up, very professional!

I've been thinking about one of these myself, though WVsig's post has me a bit concerned.

So how pocketable is it, really?

Right now I have a Glock 26 and a Bersa Thunder 380. Both great guns but both too big for pocket duty, though the Bersa will fit. It's just a bit larger and heavier than I want to carry in a pocket.

I should probably just buy an LCP and be done with it, but I'd rather carry a 9mm if possible.

KyJim

I have a Bersa Thunder .380 as well. I don't view it as a pocket pistol at all. The CM9 is smaller and it weighs about 16 oz (unloaded) compared to 24 oz for the Bersa.

I have an LCP and will still carry it. My problem with it is that I can't shoot it worth a darn. Trigger is too long and too heavy for such a light pistol. Some people can shoot it okay, so I know it's possible.

JC57

KyJim, that's why I ended up with the Bersa Thunder 380 - I was looking at LCPs and other tiny 380s, but the only one that felt good in my hand was the BT 380. I figured that it's useless to carry a gun that I can't hit with, no matter how concealable it might be.

I'll try to get out to the gun store this weekend and see if I can compare an LCP to a CM9 side by side. I shot a CW9 as a range rental once, and it was a good shooter (though after 50 rounds the web of my hand was a bit sore). I don't have a problem with the "curl the little finger under" grip on the G26, so I could probably shoot the thing OK.

franco45

My CM9 has replaced my LCP as my EDC summer carry. It is a little larger in every respect but the only thing I really notice in my pocket is the extra width.
I also own a CW9 that I carried IWB in the winter.
Both the CM and the CW are accurate and have great triggers. They have both been flawless. The CW through about 1000 rounds and the CM through 250.

2edgesword

I have the big brother CW45. Had two issues during the first 200 rounds (one fail to fire and one fail to extract) but none since.

Great ergonomics, very slim profile and accurate. The one thing that is tough to get use to (since I have much more experience with Glocks) is the relatively loooong trigger pull, especially if I just shot one of my Glocks but more practice is the remedy.

KyJim

The one thing that is tough to get use to (since I have much more experience with Glocks) is the relatively loooong trigger pull, especially if I just shot one of my Glocks but more practice is the remedy.
This didn't bother me even though I shoot 1911s quite a bit, maybe because I also shoot revolvers double action from time to time.

orionengnr

So how pocketable is it, really?
It is smaller than a j-frame (especially lengthwise). I can pocket carry my PM9 in any pants except for tight jeans, which I seldom wear anymore (can't fit into them like I used to). FWIW, I cannot pocket carry my LCP in my tight jeans either...
I'm not a big boy. I am 5'9" and 150 lbs.