k98 Mauser values

Famas

Hi - I have a k98 Mauser BCD 4 (1944)...in VERY nice shape, bolt non-matching. I've had it my collection for many years, never really played with it but once or twice and kept it in a closet for all this time. Just out of curiosity, I was looking at various gun sites to see what it might be worth and I see them listed for anywhere from $1,000 to $2,000 (seen on GB).

Is this real? How did they jump up in value like this...or is this overvalued?
Thanks!

ballardw

Pretty much everything shows price increases.
They aren't making any more real K98s. So anyone that wants the real deal may pay more.
Also there is a substantial collector market and prices may reflect one or more "desirable" variants that I know nothing to comment on.

Did you look to see the prices that actually sold or just asking prices?

Famas

ballardw
Pretty much everything shows price increases.
They aren't making any more real K98s. So anyone that wants the real deal may pay more.
Also there is a substantial collector market and prices may reflect one or more "desirable" variants that I know nothing to comment on.

Did you look to see the prices that actually sold or just asking prices?

These were asking/listed. They did not have a "offer' option. I too have no idea of what manufacturer codes are more desirable, but I was a little shocked. I was thinking of insuring a part of my collection, but in order to do this the insurer would like a fairly good idea of value...which I know nothing of at this point since German k98s isn't exactly my area of my expertise.

ballardw

If you go the GB Advance search, just the right of the Search, you can search in "Completed Items" to find the prices things actual sold for. May be a headache getting filters that actually show only what you want as there are lots of people that attach K98 and variant text to items that are only sort of K98, or from the same time, and basically abuse the description fields to get their items to appear (falsely in my eyes) when you search for K98.
A brief search doesn't show many of them selling.