K31 Swiss sight adjustment?

Willie D

I'm finally getting some 7.5 ammo to try out on my new K31.

Question: How should I adjust the front sight without the "official" K31 sight tool?

Also, the front sight is currently set directly in the middle (maybe by the importer?) but has an armorer's mark indicating zero with the sight a little bit to the right. Should I assume the old armorer's mark is the correct zero or should I work it out at the range? I'd rather not have to bang on the rifle at a crowded range...

hodaka

I think you will need to try it out with the ammo you choose. Bring a drift punch and a small hammer to the range. I had to whack mine pretty hard to get it to slide, as I recall. A shot of liquid wrench before you go to the range will help.

onemsumba

Mine shoots about 8" low at 100 yards.... not exactly perfectly set up. not sure if i should file the front sight post down or what....

Toolman

Mine (I have two) shoot about 2" high @ 100 yds the sights are set "as received". I just compensate from the "as received" setting. The marks are still lined up.
I figure if my eyes,,,,at my age,,,,are doing that good,,,,,I'm doing GREAT!

Willie D

Mine shoots about 8" low at 100 yards.... not exactly perfectly set up. not sure if i should file the front sight post down or what....

My SKS shoots low and the front sight won't budge so I just leave the rear elevation at 250 and that's that. Easy fix.

Limeyfellow

A Kar31 is setted up as the shortest distance setting of 300 metres all the way to 1200 metres, so the couple of inches low is pretty much to be expected. If you are shooting at 100 yards its going to shoot a little high.

If its shooting 8 inches too low you your problem is either someone has filed down the the front sight or its also possible you pulled the rear sight leaf all the way to the rear, where its not marked to be sighted in at less than 300 metres and could pretty much mean anything.

sindiesel666

If its shooting 8 inches too low you your problem is either someone has filed down the the front sight

Front sight is inversely related to the POI, so filing it DOWN would raise the POI. I'm sure Limey just had a momentary brainfart episode.....;)

Limeyfellow

Well yea. I am doing a second degree right now, inbetween working, keeping the garden growing and trying to convince my wife we need to spend more of the budget on ammo, so my brain freezes up way to often.

Willie D

Went ahead and lined up the front sight with the armorer's marks. Guess they were about right.

Cabelas was out of Privi so I had to spend bigger bucks than I wanted to on some other stuff. Rifle was a blast to shoot. Got some stares at the range.

100yds, sitting, aiming for POI:

Attachments

• tgt.jpg
    tgt.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 134