K, L, J?

Ed Dixon

I'm guessing these designations have some reference to the actual shape of the frame, but are size and heft what they're about too?

Not exactly sure what you're asking, but yes, the frame size does generally affect the weight of the gun. Not really the shape of the frame, though, as all S&W revolvers have the same general frame layout.

That, however, can be affected by the frame material -- a steel J-frame can be heavier than an aluminum-frame K with a short barrel.

C.R.Sam

In order of frame size, smallest to largest. S&W hand ejector revolvers. Top breaks not included.

M, I, J, K, L, N.

There was a really great and comprehensive thread on all the frame sizes and calibers involved but I can't bring it up. May have gotten lost during the server switch.

Sam

Sam,

Here's the thread you wanted:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70716&highlight=.3220

Ed,

to recap, though. The frame-size gives a general indication as to the size of the gun you're talking about, J smallest in current production, K bigger, L same grip as K, but beefier through certain areas, and N biggest of all.

Even within those letter families, though, are some variations. The Model 19 is beefier in areas than the Model 10, for instance, depending on the year.

Ruger,

M-frame, smallest of all S&W frame Hand Ejectors, .22 LR only, 7-shot, made for the first 20 years of the last century, extremely desirable as a collectors item. It was called the LadySmith, the original LadySmith.