K Frame & Warm 357

1972RedNeck

My go to load for 357 Mag is 16.5 grains of H110 under a 158 gr bullet.

I recently picked up a Smith 65-6 that is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

I read conflicting info about what these K Frames can take and what they can't.

Will my loads take a toll on my M65 or am I worrying about nothing?

mehavey

16.5 grains of H110 under a 158 gr bullet.
That's a fairly hot load.
(But) it's not going to blow anything up, and I predict you'll tire out before the Smith does.
Being a reloader (you) have lots of options.

ligonierbill

Common wisdom holds that 125s loaded at or near max tend to crack the forcing cone. But I have no direct knowledge of such. Your gun should "take" anything within published limits. Will heavy loads accelerate wear? I imagine so, but I agree with mehavey. You'll wear out first.

Nick_C_S

16.5 grains of H110 under a 158 gr bullet.
That's a fairly hot load.

I would respectfully disagree - kind of.

I load a lot of 158 grain bullets with H-110 (and W296 - same stuff) with a charge considerably hotter than 16.5gn for quite a few years now. And I consider the charge weight I use now to be "de-tuned" compared to what I used to load back in pervious decades. 16.5 is pretty tame.

But I do agree that either way - "hot" or not - I wouldn't be concerned with putting that load (158 / 16.5gn H-110) through it. Like mehavey said, It would be a very long time before that load would loosen up the gun.

The general consensus is that running hot ammo with light bullets tends to be the problem.

44 AMP

Staff
Will my loads take a toll on my M65 or am I worrying about nothing?

The short answer is "Yes". :D

The 65-6 has the durability enhancements S&W came up with after the issues with the early 65s & 66s. A steady diet of factory ammo or equivalent handloads should not damage the gun. It will, however, wear and at some point need a "tune up". I would look to get 4,000rnds or so before any issues crop up, but your milage may differ.

Your load is the listed max in Hornady 3rd edition, and nearly a full grain OVER max listed in their 7th edition. Work up to that load in that gun. I'm sure the load will be safe, (meaning the gun will not blow up) but it may not be "suitable". Every gun is a bit different, so be alert for the possibility that your gun might not run well, with loads that are "book safe" but not suitable for it. I've experienced ammo that ran fine in N frames but would stick cases in the chambers in a K frame. Probably due to individual guns, rather than as a general rule, but one never knows, until you do test firing.

AlaskaMike

There's more to it than just chamber pressure.

With that load, I would expect a K frame to go out of time and develop excessive end-shake pretty quickly.

I have 3 Model 19s. One early 60s, the other two 70s/early 80s.

I shoot mostly .38s out of them, but I have run Magnums through all of them, and when I carry the 2.5" version, it's loaded with Remington Golden Sabres.

The issues with the K frames developed early in their history when users were putting a steady diet through them, hundreds to thousands of rounds.

Most of us are not going to do that.

Mannlicher

the Model 19 is a dang Magnum revolver. Enjoy it. Shoot it. Push it. It isn't going to blow up. IF, and that's a pretty big if, there is ever an issue, then get the issue fixed. It's not like a tune up is the end of the world.

1972RedNeck

Your load is the listed max in Hornady 3rd edition, and nearly a full grain OVER max listed in their 7th edition. Work up to that load in that gun.

Really? Max in my Lyman is 17gr. My N frame likes them a LOT hotter...

I did start with a couple rounds at 16 gr. Shot well. Went to my 16.5 gr standard loads and no pressure signs. Good accuracy.

44 AMP

Staff
Keep in mind that "max" in any manual is not "what the gun will take" nor is it "what every gun will take", it is where the testers stopped with their test gun, and the reason why they stopped there can be varied.

I generally run 2400 in my .357s and I've got loads I've been shooting since the early70s that are well above the listed max in today's manuals. And, those loads are not suitable for everything chambered in .357 Mag.