K-frame trigger guard screw purpose?

spacecoast

My newly acquired Model 14-1 (mfd. 1959) has the fourth screw in front of the trigger guard. Since the spring-loaded pin inside the frame that tensions the cylinder stop does not appear to be directly tied to this screw, what is/was the purpose of the screw? Does it provide access to remove the pin? I backed the screw out a bit to see what would happen but didn't remove it completely. The screw was removed on 14-2 and later models starting in 1961.

FlyFish

The purpose of the trigger guard screw is indeed to provide tension on the cylinder stop, but not directly. One end of the spring presses on the screw and the other end of the spring is attached to the plunger, which presses on the cylinder stop. If the screw is removed completely there's nothing to compress the spring and provide tension.

spacecoast

Thanks FlyFish, I would have discovered that had I backed out the screw far enough, but I didn't want to undo something about which I know but a little. I have done some checking and it's interesting that Wolff and others sell replacement "extra power" cylinder stop springs as well as mainsprings and trigger rebound springs of varying compressions to adjust the trigger pull.

carguychris

+1 Flyfish. Three additional notes:

1) In 3-screw S&W revolvers, the spring is simply wedged into a circular lateral recess in the frame with one end against the cylinder stop. It is removed by pulling it out with tweezers. Reinstallation is a pain. :rolleyes:

2) The spring and plunger will fall out if you remove the trigger guard screw. These parts are small and easy to lose! It's unnecessary and unwise to remove the screw unless there is something wrong with the cylinder stop specifically.

3) Contrary to gun-store counter rumors, the cylinder stop has only a minor influence on the quality of the gun's trigger pull, and the amount of tension on the trigger guard screw has almost no influence on the trigger pull at all.