K-frame IWB?

glockopop

I won't be able to get into a CCW class until after the first of the year, so I'm using the interim to experiment with different guns and holsters.

The idea was to have a battery of guns for different modes of dress: A 1911SC for winter, a 3" M64 with boot grips for spring/fall, and an M37 for summertime pocket carry. The 1911SC is incredibly comfortable and concealable in a Blade-Tech IWB. The M64 is concealable but not so comfortable in a Don Hume clip-on IWB.

Does anyone have suggestions for a more comfortable IWB holster that's more secure on the belt? If I have to go OWB with this gun, I'd rather just carry the "scando commando".:rolleyes:

1tfl

I would suggest you stick with one type of weapon so it is easier to train and develop natural reaction when under stress. If you carry different types of weapons you could get confused or handle the weapon in incorrect way. You may want to go as far as having same type of holster.

I have a good friend who was a state HP here. After 8+ years he moved on to a county deputy position. He went from a Beretta 92 to a Glock 22. One time right after he became a deputy he had to draw his weapon quickly and he said his brain was confused by the way the Glock felt in his hand and he had to look down to see what was "wrong" with his weapon. Fortunately it turned out to be nothing but at the time his brain flipped out for few seconds and could have lead to bad things.

I have been shooting a 1911 pistol of one type or another for over 20 years and I have been carrying a 1911 pistol in a Bruce Nelson's Summer Special holster for about 18 years. In those 18 years I have carried Colt Government model, Colt Commander, Colt Combat Commander, Colt Officer model, Springfield 1911A1, various Kimbers, etc. but they have all been 1911 design pistols. Also, I usually use the Nelson's Summer Special but I also use Milt Spark's and Gary Brommeland's version of the Summer Special. I also have couple of Spark's VM-2 but they are all similar in function and design.

1911 series of pistols work for me but you'll have to find something that works for you. I have an older brother who only carries various S&W revolvers in a OWB holster with thumb break snap. He has carried everything from model 625 in 45ACP to "J" revolvers in 38 Special in past 30 years. Oh, my friend the deputy now only uses 40 S&W Glcoks. He uses Glock 22 for duty, a 23 for off duty or undercover or 27 for back up.

Just something to think about.

Marko Kloos

I carry my 3" Model 13 comfortably and very securely in a Bianchi #3S "Pistol Pocket". The belt loop is very wide and sits on a metal swivel that can be ratcheted to a different draw angle, so it's very flexible when it comes to finding that perfect carry spot and rake angle.

Chesster

Many moons ago I carried a 3" M13 Smith in a Bill Roger's J hook and a Milt Sparks Summer Special. Both were relatively comfortable and easy to carry.

Golddog

Dump the ones that put the clip or loops over the cylinder. They're on the widest point of the gun. Get a Tucker Texas Heritage or the Sparks Versa Max 2. They have wide-spaced loops or clips and can be quite comfortable. I've carried a 3" 66 in a Tucker Texas Heritage IWB for years. It's the most comfortable gun/holster combo I've found.

glockopop

I would suggest you stick with one type of weapon so it is easier to train and develop natural reaction when under stress. If you carry different types of weapons you could get confused or handle the weapon in incorrect way. You may want to go as far as having same type of holster.

Your point is certainly valid, but I shoot 1911s, a Glock, and S&W revolvers in IDPA and USPSA competitions 2-3 times a month, so I just don't think it's really an issue. If I'm really rushing, I'll thumb off the nonexistent safety on a Glock or revolver, but I've never not been able to fire the gun when I get the sights on target.

Good suggestions on the holsters, guys! I really appreciate it.

glockopop

Also, the Pistol Pocket would be a good option except my M64 doesn't have a hammer spur anymore.:cool: Thumb break straps ain't gonna work.