K-frame .38/.357 with long 8 3/8" barrels?

Sevens

Recently, I've come up with the idea that I'd enjoy a long barreled K-frame specifically for target work with .38 Special only. A quick search on Gunbroker shows me that Model 14's with the long tube do appear on occasion. Obviously, these are not nearly as prevalent as 6-inch revolvers and nowhere near as common as the gaggles of 4-inch revolvers.

But I'm curious as to which models I have to choose from?
Is it only the Model 14 that was offered with the long barrel?

I don't mind a .357, but it's absolutely 100% not a requirement.
Were 19s and/or 66's offered with the long 8 3/8" barrel?

10s? 13s? 15s? 64s? 65s? 67s?
I'd prefer adjustable sights, which boots a bunch of these already...

Webleymkv

Well, I do know that the M15 was not cataloged with a barrel longer than 4" (standard lengths were 2" and 4") so you can pretty much rule that one out. If you're dead set on fixed sights, you can also rule out the Models 10, 13, 64, and 65. That pretty much leaves you with the M19 and M66 which I've never seen, or even heard of, with a barrel longer than 6" so, if 8 3/8" versions of those models were made they're likely quite rare and expensive. If you really want an 8 3/8" K-Frame .38 with adjustable sights, I'd say that a M14 is probably your best bet.

If, however, you're not dead-set on a K-Frame, you will have a few more options. On the L-Frame, I know that both the 586 and 686 were produced with 8 3/3" barrels and the N-Frame M27 was available with an 8 3/8" barrel as well. Also, the Registered Magnum (precursor to the M27) was for a short time offered with an 8 3/4" barrel before S&W shortened it to 8 3/8" due to the changes in shooting competition rules regarding maximum sight radius. Finally, I think that the N-Frame 627 may, at one time, have been offered with a barrel longer than 6" but I don't remember the exact length.

Nick_C_S

I know the 686 was offered with an 8-3/8" barrel - because I own one.

Bought it new in March 1984. And yes, it's very accurate. Back when my eyes and nerves were better, I used to knock down silhouettes with it at 100 yards with open sights.

Sevens

I am certain that I don't want an L-frame with a long barrel... too much forward weight for my tastes. I certainly love my 686 (6-inch) but after a box of two of ammo, it feels like I'm holding a stack of books at arm's length, with that massive, full-lug barrel.

I've fallen in love with shooting my 6-inch Model 28 and I've only had that since August, but I still shoot a K-frame more naturally.

So I guess it's a l-o-n-g Model 14 that I seek! :D

Webleymkv

If you don't want a full-lug barrel, a M27 would still be an option as they have half-lug tapered barrels and thus shouldn't be too muzzle heavy. However, after glancing over prices on Gunbroker, a long barrel M27 would probably cost as much or more than a long barrel M14 so, unless the ability to use .357 Magnum ammo is a plus to you, the M27 wouldn't have any advantage for your purposes.

Sevens

I would probably enjoy a long barreled Model 27...
But it's definitely a K-frame that I'm after. No other double action revolver feels like a Smith & Wesson besides a Smith & Wesson and none of the S&W revolvers feels quite as "perfect" as does the K-frame.

In my opinion, of course.

highpower3006

I'm not sure I have ever personally seen a barrel longer than 6" on a K38 (model 14) and I am pretty sure it was never offered on the 66. I don't know if the 19 ever came with one. I have seen a few on Model 17's and tons on N frame S&W's. In fact, I have a Model 57 with the long tube.

I have several K framed Smiths with 6" barrels and they seem to have the best balance for me.

SaxonPig

AFAIK the 14 was the only K frame 38 offered with a barrel longer than 6". They are somewhat uncommon as they were not popular when in production so not too many were made. I have no idea how prices would compare to the 6" models. I once had a Model 48 (same as the 14 but in 22 WMR) with the long barrel. Cool gun.

BWM

Why not a Dan Wesson You can find Dan out there that have where you can change the barrel. They come in 2 4 6 8 10 12 15. The 10 up are hard to find now. They come in the lite or heavy barrel. They are very accurate guns.

Sevens

I have two different Dan Wesson revolvers, though both are six inch.
I have no doubt whatsoever that these are absolutely accurate handguns.

However, the double action just plain stinks compared to any/every/all Smith & Wesson DA revolver I own, and I've got a handful.

Both my DW's are Monson guns. I'll end up keeping one as it is in minty shape, but the double action trigger needs some genuine help from a DW pro. I'm far more happy to simply stick with what I know and love so much. ;)

Sevens

Oh yes, I've seen all the active auctions for 8 and 3/8" barreled K-frames on Gunbroker, except for the ones the filter missed.

I have a process. :p Part of my process is starting a thread to see if there were K-frames .38/.357s besides the Model 14 with the long tube.

I've got Gunbroker of course, but I'll also be checking out my favorite gun show.

pittpa

I have a 1973 vintage 14-3 with the long barrel that I bought at the local gun show on impulse on my way out, as it was in such good condition and had been shot so little. It was just too nice to pass up. even though I had no use for it. I guess I thought my long-barreled 17 and 25 needed company. I like the long barrels for balance when shooting double-action, my personal preference. I've not actually shot this gun as I have two Python Target 38 with long barrels that I shoot. I'm funding the purchase of a 1911 and so I am preparing to sell it locally. I'm in the process of determining value.

markggtp

They actually did make a model 15 long barrel , I think for about a year or so around 1986, haven't ever seen one in person...

Obambulate

I recently bought a long-barrel Model 14-3 and so have recently done some research on these. I was surprised that so many different models once offered the 8-3/8" barrel. Many of them had a full underlug though, which I consider much too heavy with a barrel this long.

The Model 14 is superb, actually. Mine was near mint, with target hammer and trigger. It came with diamond magna stocks, which I have replaced with larger wood stocks. I paid $600, which is probably too much for a 6" Model 14, but the 8-3/8" Model 14 was unusual enough for me to go that high.

I'm getting excellent accuracy with both single-action and double-action shooting. Even one-handed, I was able to put all 6 into a small cluster at medium distances.

The long barrel provides a nice velocity boost, absorbs recoil very well, and heats up quickly from all the friction.

The Model 14 has become my new favorite. It gets the majority of the range time now. I'd love to find a long barrel Model 17 to pair with the 14.

Sevens

I'd love to find a long barrel Model 17 to pair with the 14.
Keep in mind that if you do...
It wouldn't feel the same.

Not saying you might not also love it, but it's a smaller hole in that barrel, and smaller holes in the cylinder. That's extra metal, it adds up, and it's simply not possible for the two guns to have the same balance if they are externally the same size, but the .22cal has more steel in the cylinder and barrel.

While I love my six-inch 686, I find it to be muzzle heavy and a bit unwieldy. I notice it most after about a hundred rounds. A four-inch Model 10 with a havy barrel? I'd eat through 5 boxes of ammo if I were reckless enough to bring that many on a range day. :D At no point does it ever seem that I feel fatigue when shooting it.

This is why I'm really thinking I'd love the big long 8 3/8" Model 14. I believe it would have even better balance than my 686 with it's heavy, full-lug barrel. And a longer sighting plane? Sign me up. But a .22 with that big long barrel? Or a six-inch .22 with the full-lug? Not for me. Just doesn't feel quite right.

natman

Recently, I've come up with the idea that I'd enjoy a long barreled K-frame specifically for target work with .38 Special only.

Given these requirements, find a model 14 and don't even consider anything else. A 14 will come with target trigger, target hammer, target sights, target grips, and overtravel stop. They were made to exactly meet your requirements. In my experience 14s were seen as something of a flagship model and I suspect they got a bit more attention and careful fitting than say a Model 10 in a bulk contract order. At any rate they are very smooth and are very accurate.

You will enjoy one. I sure like mine (and no, it's not for sale :)):