K-38 target masterpiece aka model 14

USSR

It's the real thing. Not over-hyped at all. Have 2 of them (1 K-38 made in 1954 and 1 Model 14) and they're dead nuts accurate.

Don

dgludwig

No hype-it's the genuine article. The K38 Masterpiece (AKA Model 14) and the Colt Officers Match/Officers Special, are truly classic revolvers that aren't likely ever to be offered new again for sale. They cost way too much to make and, sadly, there are way too few people anymore who give a damn enough about quality workmanship who're willing to pay the price.

NoSecondBest

That was my first handgun fifty-one years ago. It was a good gun back then if you shot bullseye revolver. Since then I’ve owned more handguns that I can remember (really). I traded that gun in about a year after I got it and never looked back. I never shot bullseye and other than that it really served no purpose. It filled a very small niche. I’m not trying to call anyone’s baby ugly, but it really doesn’t offer any practical purpose.

105kw

The K38 is a good gun, for target work until displaced by semi autos.
It was a popular police gun, LAPD, and CHP used it, as well as others.
It's still an accurate, dependable gun.
I went to model 15s, I like a 4in barrel, but had a lot of fun with a K38 shooting ground squirrels in the 80s.

dahermit

I have two of them. This one I shoot only in double action at my falling plate setup.
enhance

This one is a tad older. I keep it as a spare. It is a little older.
enhance

ammo.crafter

model 14

This was the first center fire handgun I bought my daughter. No hype whatsoever; this is the real deal. A consistently accurate 38 spcl with a slick trigger as well as near perfect balance.
This is the 38 spcl all others should be measured against.

highpower3006

I once shot what was in essence, a one hole six shot group at 15 yards with my 1950 vintage K38 Masterpiece.

They really are that good.

Centurion

This was the first center fire handgun I bought my daughter. No hype whatsoever; this is the real deal. A consistently accurate 38 spcl with a slick trigger as well as near perfect balance.
This is the 38 spcl all others should be measured against.
Indeed, it was the first model to which the 38 special cartridge was created for. The Military and Police model of 1899 with a 6 inches barrel (though with fixed sights). Some years later came the adjustable sights model, now known as model 14 k38 masterpiece (with minor modifications).

Centurion

6 inches long for a 38 special barrel was intended to get the maximum ballistics with black powder charges. As you know the 38 special was born as a BP cartridge in 1898/99.

highpower3006

Indeed, it was the first model to which the 38 special cartridge was created for. The Military and Police model of 1899 with a 6 inches barrel (though with fixed sights). Some years later came the adjustable sights model, now known as model 14 k38 masterpiece (with minor modifications).

Actually not quite true. Of the 20,975 Model 1899 revolvers made by S&W in .38 special (5,311 were made in .32-20), about 5-10%, so somewhere between 1,000 to 2,000, were adjustable sight target models. It is estimated that as few as 10% Model 1899 First Model Targets survive today in unaltered condition. I have one of them I bought a few years ago. At the time I didn't know what it was until I did some research.

IMG_3559-XL.jpg

IMG_9879_Fotor-XL.jpg

Centurion

Many thanks for such useful information my friend. Every new day is a learning one. Didn't know they made the first model with adjustable sights as well. Then, it was the first "masterpiece 38". And congrats for having one of them! The Holy Grail of 38 special revolvers!

natman

No exaggeration, they are the real deal. I have an 8 3/8" 14 and a 6" K38 Target Masterpiece. They're super accurate and I've always felt that S&W treated the 14 as something of a flagship model. They have excellent fit and finish and a much smoother DA pull than your average Model 10, which I've always found amusing because a 14 used for its intended purpose is rarely fired double action.

Anyway get one, feed it wadcutters and if it's not amazingly accurate, it's probably not the gun's fault. ;)

Nick_C_S

Slight Topic Drift

I'm a revolver guy. Specifically, a Smith & Wesson revolver guy.

But I have never fully understood the distinct difference between a Model 14 and a Model 15. Best I can tell, it was just the barrel lengths offered (??).

Anybody who can shed some light, feel free.

105kw

The model 14 had a heavy weight barrel, the model 15 had a tapered barrel.
The 14 was either 6 or 8 3/8 barrel, the 15 was 4 in only.

dgludwig

The K38 is a good gun, for target work until displaced by semi autos.

There are still courses of fire for revolvers in Bullseye matches, and they can be used in all Bullseye events, with the exception of the Pistol National Trophy and EIC Matches Program, where the the "Service Pistol" must be used (with the exception of Junior shooters).

Most serious Bullseye competitors favor a relatively heavy, 6" long barrel when using a typical da revolver (which are generally fired sa, even during the Timed and Rapid Fire stages). A longer, heavier barrel affords the advantage of having a greater distance between the front and rear sights and makes the gun "hang" better when shooting offhand with one hand, as per Bullseye rules.

During the decades of time when Bullseye was the only game in town, many handguns were developed and designed to accommodate Bullseye shooting competitors' wants and demands, including the S&W Masterpiece revolvers (.22 rf, .32 ACP and .38 Special), the 1955 Target (.45 ACP.) and the Colt Officers Match revolvers (in .22rf and .38 Special). Many .22 autos, including the Colt Match target pistols, the S&W Model 41, the Ruger Mark series having a bull barrel and adjustable sights, the Browning Medalist and the many High Standard target variants were intended to compete in Bullseye matches.

In terms of centerfire autos, the fabulous S&W Model 52 (.38 Special wadcutters) was developed expressly for Bullseye competition as were the Colt target 1911s of the time, including the National Match/Gold Cup pistols (.38 Special and .45 ACP).

Last edited:

ATCDoktor

My 8 3/8ths inch Model 14 is quite a shooter and will regularly turn groups of 1.5 to 1.75 inch groups (from a rest) at 25 yards.