Justifiable Homicide?

pax

From http://www.sltrib.com/10302000/utah/38168.htm
for discussion purposes only.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Homicide Justifiable? It's Up to the Prosecutor

Monday, October 30, 2000

BY KEVIN CANTERA, THE SALT LAKE TRIBUNE

Early on a Sunday morning in May, a frenzied man smashed through the heavy glass of a sliding door at a Salt Lake City home. As he lunged toward a woman inside, the homeowner, a 51-year-old man, fired four shots from a handgun and the intruder fell dead.

Four months later, just after midnight on Sept. 5, two men argued furiously on a front yard in Magna. Twenty-one-year-old Ryan Brady fired a handgun; the other man fired back with a sawed-off shotgun, killing Brady.

And four days after that, just six blocks away, Jerry Jacobsen, 38, reportedly threatened to beat his wife with a hammer. He was killed by a single shot from a 9 mm handgun fired by the woman's 19-year-old son.

Based on reports from investigators and prosecutors, Salt Lake County District Attorney David Yocom deemed two of the deaths justifiable homicide, and likely will make the same call on the third. But members of the dead men's families wonder how such decisions are made, and whether they ought to receive a public hearing so all involved understand the facts and the process.

In Utah, however, the final decision rests with county prosecutors. State law allows the use of deadly force to defend one's own or another person's life against an attacker's "imminent use of unlawful force."

In some states, whenever a person dies at the hands of another an inquest is convened in which a judge, a magistrate or a jury examines the evidence to decide in public whether the killing was justified.

Yocom said he views his responsibility in determining justifiable homicide as a "serious duty . . . I do not have any problem making that kind of decision . . . the system works and the procedures that we employ are sound."

But such assurances are not completely convincing to Brady's and Jacobsen's families. "They are saying that my son shot first and so the other guy had a right to kill him," said Lex Brady, Ryan Brady's father. "But how do I know? I have no way of being sure."

The gunfight began as an argument between Brady and 18-year-old Jerason Kupfer just after midnight in front of Kupfer's Magna home, said Yocom.

Kupfer's sister reportedly told her brother that Brady assaulted her earlier that night. When Brady arrived in the neighborhood later with a group of friends, she ran out to his car and cautioned him that her brother was angry and armed with a shotgun. "Brady disregarded the warning. He was armed with a handgun and continued toward [Kupfer], " Yocom said. Brady reportedly fired three shots from a handgun and was hit by a single blast from the shotgun. A pellet pierced his heart.

Lex Brady mourns his son and laments the circumstances that led to the confrontation on that Magna sidewalk. "My kid was wrong . . . and I do not try to defend him," Brady said. "But you do not kill somebody with a sawed-off 12-gauge shotgun and then call it justified."

Brady also remains unconvinced that Salt Lake County sheriff's investigators collected all the facts about his son's death. He said neighbors who witnessed the shooting told him they never were questioned.

Although he would not comment on the extent of the probe, Salt Lake County sheriff's Sgt. Jerry Townsend confirmed the investigation into Ryan Brady's death has been completed and forwarded to the district attorney's office. He also verified that the blast that killed Brady was fired from an illegal sawed-off shotgun.

Yocom said he has not yet made a final ruling on the case but his office "most likely will rule it justifiable and self-defense.

"[Brady] was shooting when he was struck," Yocom said. "Lethal force was justified." He added the case has not been considered for an illegal weapon charge, but prosecutors will do so if detectives ask them to.

The death of Cliff Jacobsen's brother Jerry, who died Sept. 9 when his wife's son shot him, was ruled justifiable homicide Oct. 5, Yocom said. Jacobsen learned of the decision when contacted by The Salt Lake Tribune last week. "It is the first I have heard of it," Cliff Jacobsen said. "I would like to know how they decide something like that."

Jerry Jacobsen reportedly threatened to beat his wife of three months with a hammer outside of their Magna home, pounding on the hood of her car with the tool before going after her. That's when her son, Brett Hancock, killed Jacobsen.

When police arrived, Hancock reportedly admitted to the shooting and turned over the weapon. "That would be a bad position," Cliff Jacobsen said. "To think you would have to kill a man to defend your mother or yourself, I cannot hold anything against the kid."

Still, Jacobsen suggested that a jury trial would reveal all the facts. "A trial would bring everything out and maybe would bring some kind of help for this kid," he said. "The boy has got to be devastated, and I do not know if a ruling like justifiable homicide will help."

Lex Brady also wishes the events surrounding his son's death could be heard by a jury. "If a jury says he had a right to do what he did, I could live with that," Brady said. "But to just walk away from the facts and say that it is justified? To just sweep it under the carpet? That is wrong. That is no kind of justice."

Yocom, however, suggested Brady does not understand the process. "It would be an unfair system to charge someone with a crime when we do not have a reasonable expectation that they will be convicted. . . . We have an ethical obligation not to put the defendant through it and not to overburden the system ," Yocom said.

"We look at every case from a standpoint of what the law says and what we believe a reasonable jury would do with the facts."

The Utah law regarding justifiable use of deadly force reads: "[A] person is justified in using force intended or likely to cause death . . . only if he or she reasonably believes that force is necessary to prevent death or serious bodily injury to himself or a third person."

But Yocom warns that any use of deadly force will be closely scrutinized and carries the potential for criminal charges. He also worries that publicized cases of justifiable homicide will lead to citizens taking the law into their own hands.

"We have to worry about vigilantism,"
Yocom said. "We want people to settle disputes in an orderly way. . . . Violence is not the answer." [/quote]

Hal

pax,
I gotta hand it to you. Between you and Oatka, you manage to make my day with posts like this. While so many others concentrate on the chest pounding events, little gems like this creep in sadly unnoticed. Jeeze oh man! Where do you start on something like this? It looks like the entire system is going to hinge on one decision of what type of weapon can be used. The implications are staggering.
In this case, you have people that are knowledeable enough(or so it seems) about firearms to know the difference between an illegal sawed off shotgun and something like a legal 870 w/pistol grip and 18 1/2 in barrel. The real question though boils down to whether it's best to let one person make the decision,or a group of people make the decision. And if it's a group, who's going to make up that group? (Pardon the expression,)A group comprised of soccer moms's that can't tell the diffference? OTOH, you could get someone as prosecuter that doesn't know either.
Then, the real issue at the heart of the matter is, what difference does it make as to what was used? Lethal force was justified, or so it seems, but now the method is being attacked. Insane!
I'll bet my stock of ammo that at some future point, probably around the time of a civil suit, that Lex Brady is going to write a letter to the editor and call his kid a victum.
Then there's the matter of Jerason Kupfer being in posession of a restricted weapon. Is that going to make it a Federal Case? And if so, what kind of impact is THAT going to have?

pax

Actually, a big part of the reason this article caught my eye is because it is an election year.

We are all (rightfully so) worried about the presidential race. The man we put in the Oval Office will be able to appoint a number of Supreme Court justices, which in turn will have a huge impact upon national law for some time to come.

But it's easy to overlook the fact that we also choose judges -- and district attorneys, and in some places, county and state prosecutors. Not to mention sheriffs and county commissioners.

It's often hard to figure out who the "good guys" are in these elections, and yet in many ways these guys have more impact on our lives than any of the political races we hear so much about.

It shames me to think of how many times I've stepped into a voting booth and been completely uninformed about some of the names on the ballot. I want to vote for the good guys -- but how do you know who the good guys are?

pax