Just submitted a question on CCW to the Texas DPS

Jim March

Direct quote (entered into their "contact us" web-form):

---
I am considering moving to TX and will be applying for a CCW. I understand that in Texas, if you qualify with a revolver you are stuck with revolvers. My question is, what exactly constitutes a "revolver" over an autoloader? I ask because my "revolver" has automatic gas-powered extraction of empty shells (bouncing 9mm shells from a hammer-mounted deflector) and magazine feeding of fresh rounds. I'm quite serious here. See also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4XtVldNbO4 - under TX rules, is this an "autoloader" or a "revolver" for purposes of CCW qualification?
---

Yes, I'll post the reply.

:D

jimbob86

Jim, while your "Auto-loading Rube Goldberg Revolver" is a wonderful thing just from an engineering standpoint ..... getting a Semi-auto and a Semi- auto permit would be less Rube Goldbergish and much more practical..... just sayin' .......

BTW Texas is full

It wouldn't be if the Feds would enforce the immigration Laws.

RamItOne

Just buy a semi, what better excuse to buy a new gun. :D

A lot of the places will rent you a gun during their course. Never understood why someone would qualify on a revolver with our regulation about revolvers.

Plus think you'd have to convince the course instructor to call it a revolver.
Looks like an auto reloading gun not an auto loading gun. The next round isn't ready and lined up behind the barrel after you fire.

Last edited:

Jim March

Doesn't anybody see the comedy value here?

Hint: I'm not moving to Texas. I'll be passing through soon - on my way to Northern Alabama. But I'm not gonna be a Texan.

zincwarrior

Direct quote (entered into their "contact us" web-form):

---
I am considering moving to TX and will be applying for a CCW. I understand that in Texas, if you qualify with a revolver you are stuck with revolvers. My question is, what exactly constitutes a "revolver" over an autoloader? I ask because my "revolver" has automatic gas-powered extraction of empty shells (bouncing 9mm shells from a hammer-mounted deflector) and magazine feeding of fresh rounds. I'm quite serious here. See also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4XtVldNbO4 - under TX rules, is this an "autoloader" or a "revolver" for purposes of CCW qualification?
---

Yes, I'll post the reply.
Why on earth would they reply to you? It reads like you're trolling. EDIT: Now I see you were indeed trolling the DPS. Don't troll the DPS.

Moby

I confess, I lived in CA for 18 years before moving to Texas.
Fear not, I'm a right wing conservative that couldn't stand
CA anymore. I LOVE Texas!!!

1-DAB

he couldn't find a nice quiet backyard and have someone take a better video? only made it thru about 60 seconds.

dogtown tom said:
"Revolver" is defined in Federal law.
But the Texas law (or regulation) about what you can carry if you qualify with a revolver is not a Federal law, so the Federal definition doesn't apply. Is "Revolver" defined in Texas statutes?

Jim March

Apparently some guy with one of those old Webley recoil-operated wheelguns from around WW1 got it declared *both* a revolver and a semi by the Texas DPS.

There actually is some merit to knowing whether it's declared a revolver or auto, no matter what state I'm in.

Wait...what exactly IS the Federal definition, anyhow?

TheDoubleDeuce

I almost died laughing at two points in the video:

1) When you stuck the 9-round "magazine" into the back of it

2) When the sights fell off

It looks like you had a lot of fun designing and creating that... Beast! I wonder why John Browning didn't design his magazines that way?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2