just started reloading, want to check that I'm not insane

UltimaSE

Finally started reloading. I'm starting with .357 mag with some bluedot. I wanted to make sure I'm not completely missing something.

So far I've loaded 50 rounds of .357 with 158 grain rn bullet with a small pistol mag primer with 9.6 grains of blue dot behind it. OAL is 1.544 to 1.546.

Also 50 rounds of .357 with 158 grain rn bullet with a small pistol mag primer with 10.0 grains of blue dot behind it. OAL is 1.531 to 1.538.

For both of these oal I just crimped the bullet where the cannalure was on the bullet.

I intend to reload another 50 rounds of each of the load above, and then 100 rounds of the same load but with 10.4 grains of blue dot.

On to .45.
I intend to do basically the same thing for .45 acp. When I checked the sierra loading book it lists 6.1 grains of 231 as the most accurate load listed. I intend to start at 5.5 grains and load 100, 5.8 grains and load 100, and 6.0 grains and load 100. But since I have not loaded this thus far I don't have any oal number to give you.

So how am I doing? anything ring any alarm bells?

Thanks in advance,
UltimaSE

ps also anyone notice that dillon powder measure don't seem to be very accurate? I was going to just use the powder measure but when I weighed each throw I noticed that it would fall over a .1 to .3 range difference. But then again this is with blue dot and I understand that it has some metering problems.

yankytrash

I'm sure there's few reloaders out there thinking this right now, so let me be the first to tell you to make sure you check that OAL of the finished bullet.

Although going to the cannalure is about right, there's about .050" or so of leeway in there. Depending on the bullet-type and charge, you could be bumping up that CUP a just a little on the high side of your desired results.

No biggy, though. Go ahead and blast away. Just might want to check the OAL of the finished bullet next time.

I'm not a 357 mag loader, but according to my book, that OAL of 1.545 and 1.535 is a little in the short side. My books list 1.59 max OAL. If I were reloading them, I'd be going for 1.5. But, like I said, you should be fine. You haven't pushed the limit on the charge of ol' blue, so your CUP should be within limits.

As for the 45, you will be very pleased with the 6.1 grain load. My pet 45 load is actually a little higher than that, but I better not list it. The higher load is probably pretty detramental to a pistol, and I'm using in a carbine.

Load away!! As for being crazy, my wife says that all reloaders are crazy.....

[Edited by yankytrash on 06-01-2001 at 02:10 PM]

Boo586

UltimaSE,

Welcome to the wonderful world of reloading. I second the earlier marks about paying attention to OAL measurements. The alliant web site lists 10.4 grains of blue dot as max with a Minimun OAL of 1.58. Too short of OAL causes KABOOMS!! I use Alliant powder frequently and the maximums listed on this page are real thumpers. I would pay better attention to your AOL before loading up the 10.4 grains of BLue Dot especially with the +/- of 0.3 grains of powder. That could put you at 10.7 grains, way over max. Shoot the other loads first and look for pressure signs before going over maximum loads. If you are shooting these loads in anything smaller than a L-Frame Smith or Ruger GP-100 your gun is going to be taking a beating.

My next suggestions is to try a finer grain powder that meters better, try Alliant 2400, H110 or 296 for your maximum 357 loads. It meters better and is designed for the magnum handgun loads.

Just my thoughts.

Boo586

UltimaSE

I just took a look at my books and the oal is a bit on the short side for the ones that I've loaded thus far. I'm not sure if I should go through and shoot these or not. But with yankyrtash I'm leaning towards them being ok since it wasn't a max charge. I didn't actually realize that the cannalure wasn't a definate guide, but on the next batch I'll back off on the seating die a bit and try to get it in the right around 1.56-1.57 range. I realize that too short a oal results in pressures going through the roof.

Also boo586 from checking online with alliant I believe the max charge for blue dot listed is 10.7 grains. But I'd rather err to the safe side so I'll be loading 10.4 grains for now. I'm hoping that this will be enough for my gf, she's a recoil junkie.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

UltimaSE

Bud Helms

'Only thing I can think to add is ... 100 is a large lot to load if you haven't decided on which to stay with yet. Even 50 is a large bunch for the first try for a load. I load 5 or 10 each, of different loads. You can proceed from there deciding on which loads to do up in quantity as you progress.

slo_dog

I would also suggest smaller experimental batches .
If you make 100 & shoot 10 with undesired results , what ya going to do with the rest ?
Pulling bullets is a pain in the 'ol backside .
Welcome to the addiction known as reloading .
I see sensop types faster than me , so my .02 is free .:D

bullet44

Again,from me too. "load 5-10round only for new load,
start low (gr wise) work up.
35 years experience and no bad experience in loading,
becareful and its fun.

Monkeyleg

UltimaSE, if you're loading just to punch paper, you could probably afford to go lighter on the .45ACP loads. I use 4.8 grains of 231 with 230 gr lead round nose, and 5.6 or so with jacketed. It's more pleasant to shoot, accurate and probably less wear and tear on the gun.

Just my .02.

Dick

Michael Priddy

Safty first

UltimaSE,Loading for pistol round has more room for mistakes than loading for rifles. Especially if you are loading large quantities on a single stage press. If you are charging your cases from a tray, always give them a visual check after charging to make sure the powder heights are all the same. Over charging pistol powder can ruin your day. Michael