just received two 1911's

LOUD

I just received two new stainless 1911,s in 45 auto, one of them is a Remington and the other is a Ruger . I havent fired either yet .They are both beautiful guns, the fit and finish appears to be a little better on the Ruger . The Remington is a little plainer and shows a few mill marks .Now comes the matter of my post, the 1911's are beautiful guns and that 45 round is very potent but in a combat situation I would still pick up one of my Glocks , simply for the double stack mag alone . Anyone else feel the same way?................LOUD

JWT

Your thread is sure to get many Glock supporters to agree.

I happen to be a big fan of the 1911's. Looked at the Remington and was not terribly impressed with their finish quality. Have both a Commander and Military sized Ruger SR1911 and their overall quality seems very good for the price.

I owned one Glock 22 .40 S&W and swapped it off for a Sig .40. The Glock didn't fit my grip well and I found the recoil a bit sharp. Don't notice any recoil with the Sig.

I personally will take a 1911 over a Glock any time. Just a personal preference. Either are good guns.

lamarw

I look forward to your range report on the two 1911's.

In a combat situation, my preference is to have a rifle vs. a pistol. ;) I carried both in Nam.

My personal conflict is between a Sig P220 vs a 1911 when it comes to a .45 pistol. Therefore, I have a couple of each. As a carry, I will normally go with a 15 + 1 sub-compact 9mm.

I have nothing against the Glock, but I have yet to warm up to one even as inexpensive as it is to purchase one.

Attachments

• Nam Picture.jpg
    Nam Picture.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

geetarman

^^^^^ Yep.

I really like the 1911s and shoot them a lot. When I carry in my vehicle though, it is a G30 or a G19.

Tucker 1371

Lucky you! The reverse happened to me, was already a proud 1911 owner and I was gifted a Glock 23. Hated them until I got my own and now I've warmed up to it. But I shoot my 1911 better and would NEVER feel comfortable carrying a Glock. I like having the peace of mind that the hammer won't fall until a hand is on the grip and the safety disengaged.

1911's are nice for the range. Like mine. But for SD and HD..Glock :)

I depend on a 19 or 17

Geetarman goes for a 30 or 21.

I have a 21..love that too.

Enjoy! Plenty of us feel the same way brother.

RickB

I would take any one of MY 1911s over anybody else's Glock, but if there were one of each on a table, and I had to pick one without a testfire, I might take the Glock. I think it's easier to screw-up a 1911, even though, at the same time, there's not much you can do to improve the inherent deficiencies in the Glock. :)
How did you choose Ruger and Remington? That is, if I were going to buy two new 1911s, I probably would not consider either of them, but you ended-up with both?

Gunbunny1

Let's see....define "combat"...

I like my good old all steel Browning. Nothing wrong with a high tech plastic firearm either. I just feel taller with my Browning. But the guy that is attempting to steal my purse doesn't care how tall I feel. He sees all he needs to know. God forbid...as a small woman I dont ever see "combat".

thedudeabides

Glock is just so much of a better design.

The gun just fits your hand so well, it's so much more accurate than a 1911, and the trigger feel is just awesome.

Glocks are so much more Tactical, too. The 1911 looks like something an old man would shoot. Glocks are also really easy to take apart, I keep making that stupid scratch on my 1911s and can't get that dumb round tab thingy off of the barrel.

My Glock shooting friends in their Tapout and Monster shirts laugh at me when I'm at the range, because I keep running out of bullets with my small single stack mags.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Given that the guns under discussion will be both reliable and durable, there seem to be guns that have some kind of sentimental attachment, and then there are guns that are just guns.

I think the attraction of the M1911 type is partly history, partly tradition and only partly performance.

The Glock is just a gun.

Jim

RickB

Glock is just so much of a better design.

The gun just fits your hand so well, it's so much more accurate than a 1911, and the trigger feel is just awesome.

April first is still a few days off . . .

In a "combat situation" I would have to go Beretta 92, because if not I'd get bi*%&ed out for bring an unauthorized weapon to a combat zone, but if I could bring my own it would probably be a 1911 based 9mm....1911 because I like single action and 9mm because I have yet to see any .45 ammo outside a SOF unit.....and lets face it 8 rounds of 45 verses infinite supply of 9mm....at that point I'll take the 9mm