Just picked up a 6920 Colt

45_Shooter

As the title states, I just picked up a 6920 Colt the other day, been wanting one for awhile and finally found one. Just wondering about other's experiences with the weapon. I'd like it to be my 'just in case' gun, maybe mount a light and optics on it. What do you all recommend?

SR420

:) Congratulations !! The LE 6920 is well worth the investment.

I recently sold the one I had - it was unfired and I made some $ on it.

6920withM14-03.08.2008.jpg

I'm giving the AR another look, but the next one will be an NFA SBR with maybe an 11.0" barrel. I'm doing my research now.

45_Shooter

Congratulations !! The LE 6920 is well worth the investment.

Thanks, I've had very good luck with Colt AR's in the past, hopefully this one's no exception.

I've never owned a flattop before and was basically wondering what to do as far as setting it up to be an 'emergency use only' kind of gun. Basically, if a situation degraded to the point where a rifle was necessary, I'd like this to be my go to weapon. I guess I'm thinking some kind of EOTech for optics with a flashlight attached to the front, but not sure where to start since there is many options available.

Hunter0924

I have a couple of friends that owns 6920s and all are pleased with the rifle.
I am currently saving for one myself.
I would say you chose wisely.

Icopy1

I have the Tactical Carbine as well as the 6920. The Tac is my HD and action shooting gun. It's basically the same as the 6920 yet it has a heavy barrel with the 1:9 twist. The 6920 stays in the safe. Anyway, I have found that an Eotech and a dedicated forearm light from Surefire are simple mods that make the rifle perfect for my needs. I had a viking tac sling on it, but it got in the way. Now I keep it simple with just the factory sling. During competition, my Tac has never failed and shoots like a tack driver.

The latest issue of Combat Tactics compares the features and MSRP of the 6920 with others M4 type rifles. After reading the chart, you'll know that you made a wise decision.

45_Shooter

The latest issue of Combat Tactics compares the features and MSRP of the 6920 with others M4 type rifles. After reading the chart, you'll know that you made a wise decision

Yeah, I tend to stick to Colt for most of my AR and 1911 needs as they fill my needs and generally I have no issues with them. It seems our troops are pretty happy with their M4 Colts, so I figured I'd get the closest I could.

Does anyone know what kind of EOTech the military is using? Do they typically have flip up rear irons in case of failure? What kind of flashlight mount do they use? I'm aware of "the right way, the wrong way, and the Army way", but I think I would be happy with a military style setup for my needs.

Does anyone know what kind of EOTech the military is using? Do they typically have flip up rear irons in case of failure?

First, good for you for going with an American tradition. With how popular AR's and 1911's are today, a little sad to see Colt lose their place at the tables they used to sit at the head of, or alone at. On top of every other shame associated to their recent history, seems like they should be at least competitive with almost every gun mfg. producing both of those weapons these days. But seems like people just aren't interested in current production Colts anymore, Colt is out of the game in terms of new ideas and innovation is stagnant, yet have a fat pricetag compared to vanilla equivalants from newer makers (seen as more relevant producers, for staying on the cutting edge and offering standard, features developed or made in the accessory aftermarket). Plus they are so hard to get, one dealer in 10+ around here stocks 91's, can't remember the last AR, but it was a ban era Match Target. Some dealers and clerks even say/think they are Custom Shop made, special order only, today-I've heard it told to people more than once. It's really too bad because that dancing horse will always have pride attached that nothing else can touch, that's why classic Hartford iron values climb like Microsoft stock's ascent- genuine, and irreplaceable. For real. Apple pie and baseball. You have to own at least one Colt firearm.
Anyway. Congratulations on your recent purchace, hope she sings for you, and a bottom's up to your choice in manufacturer. Just glad to see some folks still favor a Colt. Genuine article, plateau over where the selector would start rocking, charcoal black coated, Colt AR-15. I'd love a 6530 Sporter (A2 Stock, pencil bbl.) .223, SP-1 rifle or carbine, or a 6420 9 mil. Buddy from work a couple weeks ago got a like new Sporter HBAR (20" A2, pre-94) for 700. at an estate auction a couple weeks ago :(

From what I understand, non-SOPMOD type M4's-in the hands of ordinary troops-a lot, or most, just keep the carry handle around, in their pack, but this was when soldiers and Leathernecks were purchasing these and Aimpoints with their own money. I like the EOTech that takes AA batteries, that's a great idea, being able to get a fresh power source for your high tech battle sight at just about any store, anywhere. I dunno if that was the model there have have been reports of problems with though (don't know much about it)...I know they like to wiggle out of place in my DVD remote with gentle use. But still, utilizing common household batteries (and they do have pretty good life, moreso with Lithium) is a feature that makes a lot of sense. I've known a few vets who served during a conflict, each emphasized there is no counting on re-supplies; So, a scrounged battery out of a dead or captured Hajji flashlight or walkman or whatever, could theoretically mean your sight works, vs. not as intended or at all. Guys like us (assuming), would save a trip across town or even placing an order in remote places. As would a battery compatable between sight and weapon mounted light. If those hypothetical (and unlikely to most) scenarios are of any consequence in your opinion.
Personally I'd rather go with an ACOG TA-11 if cost was not an issue, with the red circle and practical variable range for this weapon. A little more versatility (if desired for longer range accuracy-but we're talking the original semi M-4, not the platform for a 10x with BDC) with higher magnification, without sacrificing speed.

Check out the Tru-Glo TFO front sight post, the combo of tritium and fiber optics providing a green glow in any light condition. Add a rear BUIS, definately. Some come exactly the same as standard A2 irons, just fold down. Not expensive anymore either.
Dunno about a light but whatever came already hooked up to the Sig 556 I checked out the other day(Sig factory package? it was new) won me over, and I always hated that stuff, expensive clutter...but this felt proper and natural, the tacticool gear setup-light, foregrip etc. Surefire had/has that monster light at 2:00 integrated with a double thick M4/6920 handguard. Made for your new rifle.
Before any of this though, set a goal of 'too much' ammo and mags, and go for it, a sling that works for you. An armorer's dvd or book is always worth having. maybe get some replacement small parts, for the lower reciever at least.

45_Shooter

Genuine article, plateau over where the selector would start rocking, charcoal black coated, Colt AR-15. I'd love a 6530 Sporter (A2 Stock, pencil bbl.) .223, SP-1 rifle or carbine, or a 6420 9 mil. Buddy from work a couple weeks ago got a like new Sporter HBAR (20" A2, pre-94) for 700. at an estate auction a couple weeks ago

.351Winchester, Thank you for the heads up on the optics, I'll have to go check out an ACOG. I'm not too worried about cost right now, just getting the most effective combo for my purposes. I've found it much more cost effective if I just bite the bullet and get the stuff I'll probably end up with the first time.

I noticed you're in Saginaw, I can point you to the location of a few SP-1 rifles, a lwt SP-1 carbine I know of, and some of the newer LE Colts. There's a few places I frequent in metro Detroit and outside Flint that deal with used and new Colt AR-15's on a regular basis.

Could definately use some new shops even if I have to drive, looking to get a lot of stuff by the end of the year, not a lot of places around here are into getting me what I want. One place wants $1800 for a Socom 16 (not Socom 2), should never have let my layaway go on the one up north, would have it now. LCP's are impossible to get too. I was #15 on a list a month ago and haven't heard anything, other stores have waiting lists 50+ deep.
I think I know one of those you're talking about, there was a Detroit shop that always had lots of great stuff esp. Colt rifles and 1911's of interest(.38 Supers, LW Commanders, Mustangs) on Guns America. Might be a nice Saturday drive. Have been wanting to check out that outdoor range/3 Gun comps in Brighton.

Like I've reccomended a million times, usually about .308 MBRs, check out that book Boston's Gun Bible for everything you could want to know about modern battle sights. I got some articles I could copy and send ya too, BGB is more about the ACOG, Elcan, and similar with little on the Aimpoint and EOTech (still the best book on firearms I've ever read, to the point I try to get everyone to read it) for the AR, a lot more about scopes for bolts and battle rifles. Trijicon has a good Reflex too similar to aimpoint. ACOGs rock but I mentioned price cause you could buy a whole other AR for what they cost. The TA-11 with the red donut such as seen thru the Steyr AUG integral, well, I haven't tried it on a gun but was very impressed with it, the kind of thing that would make shooting more fun on top of everything. That one is a 3.5x, a fullsize model. It has a BDC out to 800 meters I believe, where you could grab a .223 bullet out of the air barehanded probably. And those illuminated reticles are fiber optic powered. They come with red or amber reticles, and those in the donut, triangle, chevron, etc. shape. Wonder if they have a retail store down there, would like to check out all of them. Those are the cream, definately, high tech and built for military combat.

Jermtheory

I'd like it to be my 'just in case' gun, maybe mount a light and optics on it.What do you all recommend?

optics:

fixed magnification-ACOG
variable magnification-Accupoint
red dot-Aimpoint ML3 or C3(C3 for "value")

all of the above in a Larue mount(ADM is pretty nice as well).

light:

G2L or G3L in any decent mount.

little more $$-X300

the G2L/G3L will give you better battery life,but the X300 is brighter(30 extra lumens) with better light quality,more compact,and doesnt need a mount(although the Larue mount is nice).