Just ordered my reloading setup!

chris in va

I'm excited! After snooping around on Ebay for a while, I discovered Midway had the Lee Hand Press kit on clearance for $20 less than what I was going to pay. Also got a primer pocket cleaner, tray and 4 piece 9mm die set (also on clearance). The digital calipers were $14 shipped from another site, so hopefully everything will be here next week.

Next up is a reloading manual, then the components...and plenty of questions.

Did I mention I'm excited?

EDIT: What is the general etiquette about picking up empty shells at an outdoor range...namely Knob Creek? No range officer during the week, can I just go around picking up brass during target changes?

Last edited:

Hook686

At the Club range I go to, the brass belongs #1 to the shooter, and #2 to the Club. Shooters are to cleanup their brass. The shooter keeps it, puts it in the brass bucket for the club, or gives it to a fellow member on the line.

I am sure each club/range has its own rules. Why do you not check with the range ?

QBall45

In general terms: it is expected that you pick up your own brass. Keep it, drop it the range brass bucket, give it to the guy on the line... Up to you.

Its considered rude and impolite to wander around pickin up brass other than your own during target changes. How do you know that the brass you pick does not belong to a guy like you that reloads? Ya don't unless ya ask first.

Its always better in this case to ask first rather than have a "discussion" about it when your cought redhanded in "my" brass pile.

I guess I might be the wrong person to answer your post as I only use the public range once or twice a year when its really cold. The rest of the year its the backyrad range for my. My range, my brass.

Russ5924

What I do is if the person packs up and leaves his brass is mine:D Or if you see him throwing them out just ask for them. Just don't go picking up brass while people are shooting. But for me the last year has been very thin pickings I think the majority are keeping there brass or saving for someone else. I used to be able to find all kinds of .38 .45acp and more 9mm then I could count but not any more:confused:

NWPilgrim

Different ranges have different rules. The large, well organized ranges usually state that brass not picked up by its owner/shooter belongs to the range. They sell it to help pay for range and club maintenance. These clubs often have a dedicated or mobile range officer that you can ask for clarification of the rules. Look for posted signs as well.

Smaller and more informal ranges usually are OK with you picking up brass from previous shooters, but not from any active shooters unless you ask them directly. Never pick up brass from another shooter on the line without asking him. Some guys pick up their own brass at each target change, and some guys prefer to do it at the end of their entire shooting session. Ask first.

I know of no range that does not allow a shooter to pick up their own brass as long as it is BEHIND the firing line.