Just ordered my BCM 14.5 Mid Upper for a build

HKFan9

BCM finally emailed me that their 14.5 mid length Upper was back in stock. I consider it a steal for $400. Once I pay that off on my credit card in the next week I am gonna throw a Troy Industries Drop In rail on it. I have a carbine length Troy DI rail that I use now on my other AR and am pleased with it.

For now, I am going to run this upper on my Stag lower (Continental Machine) then build up a second lower for this bad boy.:cool:

I love the Magpul AFG2 on my AR but the carbine rail is a little short to get proper use of it, so I am really anxious to see how it feels on the Mid rail. I also have a Surefire Scout weapon light for the side rail, other than that probably just throw on some low profile ladder style rail covers.

I am going to keep the front sight post on this build to co-witness, as my other AR is an optics ready build. Only trouble is I can't decide on what optic to use. The Aimpoint micro is VERY nice, but I don't like those small watch batteries very much. EOtech's are nice, was considering the 512 for the use of AA's maybe. I was also considering of getting another Trijicon Reflex, I had the 4.5moa amber dot model that was "designed for special forces" but I found the dot a little too small for my tastes. Was considering the same sight but with the 12MOA Triangle reticle.

Decisions Decisions.;)

The Aimpoint micro is VERY nice, but I don't like those small watch batteries very much. EOtech's are nice, was considering the 512 for the use of AA's maybe.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you; but are you saying you don't like the micro because it uses a CR2032 battery; and you prefer the much larger 512 because it uses readily available AA batteries? I don't get that since you would only need to replace the CR2032 battery every 50,000 hours (assuming use of good quality U.S. batteries, brightness setting of 7, never turn it off) or about once every 5 years. On the other hand, you'll need to replace the AA batteries every 1,100 hours (about every 45 days assuming constantly on).

I can understand why you might prefer a 512 to a Micro in some situations; but battery type seems an odd one to me given the respective battery life of each sight.

HKFan9

I guess I should have watched how I said it. The difference in batteries is not the reason why I would choose on over the other.

The 512 over others EOtechs for the fact that one uses AA's where as others do not.

Then you have the Trijicon that doesn't use any batteries.

The bigger Aimpoints are nice... but I am looking to go small and lightweight as possible with this one. Considering the rail and the light are going to add some weight.

ghostman1960

My BCM 14.5" Middy upper with Troy DI rails and Comp M3 Aimpoint.

Here is mine and is similar to what you want to put together as I also have the Troy DI rails on mine. They are a little heavy though. I had only ladder covers on mine and it got to hot to hold after a few mag dumps so I had to put Magpul XTM panels on them.

DSCF2789.jpg

HKFan9

Nice rifle ghost. I have some XTM rail covers right now, maybe I will stick with them. My lower has Magpul CTR stock, however I prefer a Falcon Ergo grip on my ARs. I love how narrow it is, and the material is super comfortable. Also for whatever reason even when its somewhat cold, I am cursed with clammy or sweaty hands. I find the Ergo-grip the best grip for me. Otherwise our rifles will most likely be very similar.;)

redstategunnut

Great choice on the BCM upper. You'll find that was a very good pick.

However, I cannot comprehend why anyone would pick an Eotech over an Aimpoint.

The documented failure rate of the Eotechs is the end of that discussion in my opinion. Check with Pat Rogers and a host of others who have seen more Eotechs fail on the range than they can remember. The design flaw in the EoTechs is ABOUT the batteries.

I have four Aimpoint micros. The batteries are available at any pharmacy or grocery store, cost only a couple of dollars and they last for like 50,000 hours or more (do the math: that is years in service left on 24/7). The Aimpoint micro optic is durable and reliable, and fits perfectly the OP's stated desire for "as light as possible."

37848aa0.jpg

HKFan9

You make a good point red. I think I am torn between the Aimpoint Micro and the Triijicon reflex like I used to have. I will probably test out both to see which I like better.

Although the Trijicon doesn't weight much, I would imagine the Aimpoint Micro is much lighter. Then again some weight rear of the barrel and rail might help balance it.

5RWill

183373_1578535905064_1285620147_31251330_6336296_n.jpg

Really gotta get a new Camera :(.. Congrats on the purchase you'll love it.

As to Aimpoint or EOtech they both work. IMHO the aimpoint is better, more durable, better battery life. But EOtech have supposedly fixed most of their problems. I still dislike the buttons and battery life on the EOtech. And the only one i've looked through the reticle was blurry as hell.

karlb

My 14.5 BCM midlength LW is one handy rifle. I topped mine with an Aimpoint Pro for $365 and I love it!

KChen986

Aimpoint batteries aren't much of a factor given how rarely you will need to change them.

Go with the Aimpoint T-1 or H-1 on a Larue 660 (tall) mount. I have a similar setup on my DD M4, and I *really* like it.

An heavier optic doesn't change the balance very much, but just adds to the overall heft of the weapon, especially if you want the Eotech 552/512 series.

The Eotech XPs have had reports of the battery bursting under lateral force. Go figure. But that is a lighter, CR123 battery Eotech (retain battery commonality between optic and flashlights?)

Ok. I'll stop ranting. Hope this helps.