Just made another holster...comments?

Jim March

This is a variant on the "Tucson Twister" I've been working on, made for a Ruger P-series auto. I'd like to know what y'all think.

The horizontal stitch-lines above the scrimshaw "disk" are where two strips of .125" kydex are sewn onto the bottom of the "skirt plate". These strips have holes in them offering alternative mounting points for the belt attachment system.

Scrimshaw is genuine - it's a Chinese dragon on bone, found for $6 at a local thrift shop :). They think it's from Indonesia.

Belt attachment system isn't quite finished because it's not yet delivered to the user - so the last knot and trim on the front-side paracord strap isn't done yet. In these pics it all looks loose and floppy, but once the buckle is tightened down everything cinches into place. This type of rig can be easily put on and taken off at a courthouse locker or the like, without taking off your belt. (Actually, it hugs the belt so tight that you can't pull the belt off without taking the holster off first!)

The "skirt plate" leather (in red) extends all the way around the holster's mouth, keeping it all straight and allowing for easy one-handed re-holsters.

5446420998_344996d1a9_b.jpg

5446421010_598e18260d_b.jpg

The front sight channel turned into "massive overkill" :). Almost Soviet-era over-engineering. The good news is that there's a nice "ramp" at the front so as you shove the gun down into it everything slides into place perfectly.

5446421006_27f089b12e_b.jpg

In this view you can see one of the kydex strips used to attach the belt mounting system - there's one each side. Adjustments for ride height and tilt angle are fairly easy and can be done with no tools. Once you fold the leather up, the kydex strip folds down allowing fairly easy access to the holes. It's still a bit tricky but it's not bad.

The holster design is available under a Creative Commons non-commercial attribution license. Anyone can make their own; if you publish pics of yours point back to these pages on Flickr or wherever you saw mine. If you want to make them commercially, hit me up for modest licensing fees.

Jim March

This was one I did months ago for somebody else - it's a fixed-position crossdraw setup as I hadn't yet worked out the multi-attachment-point design. This does show how tight to the body this belt mount system can get:

4206422641_33c613f0d4_z.jpg

5thShock

That is a interesting rig. It looks almost too complicated but in the photo of it riding on the belt it looks, as you say, flat and tight.

JerryM

Sorry, but I much prefer plain pancakes like 5 Shot or Sparks. If you like it wear it, but I wouldn't since you asked.

Regards,
Jerry

9mm1033

Seems like a lot of extra items on the holster. Something can get caught, hung up or snagged. I'm just a plain smooth leather pancake guy for a OWB holster.