Just inherited my first Lever gun

Colonel Custer

It's a 1979 Model 1894 Marlin .44 Magnum. I haven't done much other than clean it up so far. I'm more of a bolt action man. Anybody got any good stories on this type of gun?

huntinaz

^^ Agreed!

Leverguns are awesome, it is the most enjoyable action to operate in my opinion. The 1894 is a good one. Post some pics!

bamaranger

early

That would be a pre-safety model,.... and supposedly of higer quality than the more recent safety equipped '94's.

I don't own a Marlin, but have used .44 Ruger auto carbines,and watched my Dad use a Win 94 .44, to take a number of whitetails. Inside 100 yds, where most of us shoot whitetails, a .44 carbine is plenty of gun.

They carry easy, hit harder than some think, and are genuine, steel and walnut, USA rifles.

Chowder

Mine is a new model but I love it, I am sure your will be even nicer I have heard only good things about the older 1894s from marlin.

Jack O'Conner

I hunted with this 44MAG for several years. The micro-groove rifling and slow twist caused irregular accurasy until I used Hornady ammo. The Hornady bullet measures .430 instead of the typical .429 which made a difference in my rifle.

44MAG hits a lot harder than mere paper charts would suggest.

Jack

Marlin44MAG.jpg

Salmoneye

As noted, your 1979 is pre-safety, but the issue is not one of quality, it is simply that many people (purists?) dislike the cross-bolt safety, and are willing to pay a premium for an earlier 1894 without one...

The real quality issues have come in the last 15 years or so...Marlin seemed to be in a slump, and then to worsen things, they were purchased by The Freedom Group who moved all production of the 1894's to Ilion, NY...

The results of all this have been to drive the prices of used Marlins up, and especially good condition pre-safety models...

You have a VERY nice gun, and it will serve you well for your lifetime...

As mentioned, the bores tend to run a tad large...Mine wants .430" jacketed bullets, and at least .431" cast...

10-96

More often than not, an inheritance involves the loss of a family loved one or friend. I'm sorry for your loss if that's the issue.

Hold on to that rifle- they're a pleasure to shoot.

Colonel Custer

Thank you all for the info.

Can't get the flipping pix to load. Fired it today (I'm used to firing Mausers and Mosins) and it kicked liked an angry mule lol. I was surprised by it but I love the feel of a heavy kick when you have a rifle in the pocket.

g.willikers

Get or make some ammo equivalent to .44 special, instead of magnum.
Lots more fun, and you can play like the Rifleman, too.