Just got my Blackhawk back.

blackamos

I sold a three screw Ruger Blackhawk 357 years ago, my buddy has not used it it years and sold it back to me for the price he paid plus a case of beer. The grips had a ding on the right side when I sold it to him and now I want to replace them but don't know if it is new or old model.
The serial number is 66XXX. everything I look at online has a flattop, mine doesn't look like a flattop. Any help with style of grip (new or old) and aging the revolver will be much appreciated.

Bob Wright

Remove the grips and look at the grip frame in the "web" part near the butt. There you will see either "XR-3" or " XR-3RED" printed. This is the grip frame style. The old Flat Tops have the XR-3, while the later guns, with the ribs alongside the rear sight, are XR-3RED.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Without researching your serial number, these guns were first made around 1963, and discontinued when the New Models were introduced in 1973, if thats any help.

Bob Wright

blackamos

Found one on gunbroker with a 67,xxx number and he says he bought it new in 1965, so I'm guessing 1964 or 1965. That is close enough for me. I don't plan on selling it again. Bob thanks again for your help.

KMAX

'65

Looking at the Ruger website and if 66 is the beginnning of a 5 digit serial number, then your BH is a 1965 model. The SNs of 1965 357 BH begin with 60373 and end with 73550. That is according to Ruger's website. All this assuming I didn't misunderstand something.

blackamos

Thanks KMAX.. I ended up buying it back for $150 plus $45 for a nice case of beer. All and all In think I did okay;)

Last edited:

ThomasT

Blackamos I have never heard of that one. You still got a heck of a deal.

I traded a 12 pack of Keystone for an old Black & Decker impact driver in about 1985. The beer was $7 a 12 pack. About all that old tool was worth. (same for the beer) I still have it. I used it about 4 days ago to remove the blades on my riding lawnmower so I could sharpen them. Best $7 I ever spent. :D