Just got a TC Impact. Now what.

I was justable to pick up a TC Impact (at a great price). I've been wanting to get a black powder gun for some time, in order to have an extended deer season. I anticipate that's about all I'll be doing with it other than shooting it enough to be confident with the rifle while in the field.

All that said, I know nothing about black powder. So what's next? What do I need, what do I read, and so on...

Beagle333

I would buy a used one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/The-complete-black-powder-handbook/dp/0695813110/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1406774537&sr=8-3&keywords=sam+fadala
This will build the basics, explain how everything came to be, and it'll definitely get you going! Only a couple of bucks, used.

And if you have a kindle... you can get one of these cheap on kindle version, and it'll deal more with the inlines. The book version of this is kinda pricey.
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Blackpowder-Handbook-Sam-Fadala-ebook/dp/B005FN87MU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406774537&sr=8-2&keywords=sam+fadala

noelf2

I have an impact also. If yours is new, I recommend you run some patches on a jag with flitz polish down the barrel, about 20 or 30 passes, replacing the patches frequently. I always do that to get the sharp edges off the lands. I shoot 2 tripple7 50gr pellets topped with T/C 250 gr shockwave saboted bullets and can castrate a bat flying with it (ok, so I exaggerate a little bit). I get very good groups out to 100 yards. I'm sure it can reach way beyond that, but I hunt in hills and rarely shoot beyond 80 yards. If you're going to scope it, I recommend you get a good Leupold or Nikon scope and rings. You will have the Cadillac of deer stoppers.

g.willikers

Maybe you already know this, but Black Powder is very different than modern smokeless powder.
Learn the differences before loading your new gun or we could be reading about you in the newspaper, and not in a good way.

Maybe you already know this, but Black Powder is very different than modern smokeless powder.
Learn the differences before loading your new gun or we could be reading about you in the newspaper, and not in a good way.

Yes, I'm aware but I don't mind the warning at all. I don't have any black powders or black powder substitutes (like Pyrodex) yet on hand, but I've already given some thought as to how I need to keep my powders separated. I always read labels and I don't tape over or re-label powder containers, but still I'm thinking some element of separation isn't a bad idea.

Instructional Videos by TC

While prowling YouTube on some muzzle loader instructions, I stumbled across a series of fifteen videos by Thompson Center. For whatever reason I couldn't find the series organized on the TC site, but I found one fellow that created a playlist of all fifteen. Each is only a few minutes long, so I hope to review them all in the next few days. Here is the URL to the playlist.

Call T/C and as for a free owners manual for your rifle. Read it. You'll be surprised how much info is in a Impact Owners manual. If not mistaken it will even suggest loadings for your pleasure to try.

Call T/C and as for a free owners manual for your rifle. Read it. You'll be surprised how much info is in a Impact Owners manual. If not mistaken it will even suggest loadings for your pleasure to try.
Yep. I was able to download the manual from the TC web siteand have already read it cover to cover. Yes, they do give suggested loadings. They also have in the manual a list of equipment needed. It's been very helpful. I've also been adding to the list from the products mentioned in the video series.

noelf2

While the manual recommends black powder, or pyrodex pellets, I found better accuracy with 100gr loose GOEX Pinnacle powder (BP sub not made anymore) or 2 triple seven pellets (100gr total equivalent). Then topped with a 250gr sabot Hornady SST bullet or the 250gr T/C Shockwaves (same thing but cost a bit more). Some may disagree with me, but testing powerbelt bullets in the T/C inlines is a waste of time and money. I've heard they work well in CVA and Traditions inlines though.

When sighting in and after every shot, swab out the barrel *with breech open*, using black powder bore cleaner on a patched jag. Push the patch down forcefully to push air through the breech plug hole to clear fouling out of it (again, breech open or you'll blow that crud onto the breech face). Follow that with a dry patch. Look into the muzzle, with breech open, and make sure you see a pinhole of light through the breech plug. Load her up and shoot again. When you get the right load for you Impact, stick with it.

bman940

Fun times ahead

I first started using a T/C BlackPowder rifle 5 years ago and have been hooked ever since. I honestly thought minute of pie plate accuracy would be all I could obtain,wrong! I didn't take me long to be shooting 3 inch groups at 250 yards. I was amazed, the new in-lines and sabot's have really enhanced the accuracy you can expect. I am also amamzed at how tough the T/C action is too. Loaned the ML to a buddy to try out, showed him how everything worked, 150 gr. 777 and 250 gr. Sabot, well he TRIPLE charged the muzzle loader and couldn't believe when he shot a foot high at 100 yards and blew up his 2x4 target frame. He immediately realized what he did and I told him he was lucky. The hard part was getting the breech plug out after that kind of pressure.

Be careful and you will have a great time. Not that I have to say this, but always wear shooting glasses too.

I use a Nikon 3-9 Inline ML scope on my 3 rifles. Love how accurate the BDC makes them for hunting.

inline.jpg

Thanks fellows. I appreciate the tips. I had decided on using the Shockwave, but will check out the Hornady. I'm all for saving a dollar or two. I'm very fond of the Vortex line of scopes. I have them on all my rifles, except my deer rifle that has a Nikon with the BDC reticule. I do like the BDC. Right now I'm not planning on scoping the rifle, but if I do then it may be a flip of the coin as to which scope I'd get.

Here's the list of 'things to get' that I have come up with for starter items. (Edited as suggestion below are made.) Any other tips and/or corrections will be appreciated.
  • Hodgdon 777 Pellets
  • 250 Sabots (Shockwave or Hornady)
  • Worm (patch puller) - optional
  • Bullet Puller - optional
  • Jag (trying to get original TC seater/jag replacement)
  • 209 Primers - black powder specific
  • Bore Solvent - black powder specific
  • Breech Plug Wipes
  • Saturated Patches (optional)
  • Natural Lube
  • Breech Plug Grease
  • Breach Plug Cleaner
  • Seasoning Patches (optional)
  • Short Starter Handle and Loading Tips (or palm saver)
    [*]Set of bore/plug brushes

Last edited:

noelf2

Your Impact is an inline and the breach plug is easily removed. You don't need a bullet puller or a worm. You only need those for guns/rifles that don't have a removable breech plug. Also, to be more specific on the primers, I recommend the kind made specifically for muzzle loaders. Regular shotgun 209 primers are hotter. In my experience, hotter primers leave a harder crud ring just forward of the breech plug in the barrel. They'll work, but they're not optimal. Once you have your perfect load, stick with those primers too. Also, your ramrod extension is a bullet seater and cleaning jag combo. Comes with the Impact already. Make sure the bore solvent is for black powder or substitute powders. All the different kinds of patches on your list are not really necessary. Just get some gun patches pre-cut or cut your own out of an old t-shirt. Use the black powder solvent on them. You may want to add a palm saver to use on the end of your rod when you seat bullets.

Last edited:
Thanks noelf2.

I've never reloaded shotgun shells, so I didn't realize they were 209 as well. I'll make sure to get black powder primers.

The bullet puller or worm aren't high on the list. I just thought I'd get them in case I left the plug wrench behind.

I did get the Impact used and unfortunately the seater/jag was missing (along with the plug wrench). From what I hear, the jag that was to come with it works pretty slick. If I can find a TC replacement then that's what I plan to get.

Thanks for the tip on the different patches. I was wondering if they were really needed. On all my other rifles I just use Handi Wipes followed with a cloth patch at the last. But I do understand the solvent needs to be black powder specific.

I was planning on just getting the 777 pellets to start. Unless they perform just awful I wasn't planning on getting regular powder and experimenting with optimal loads until later.

I've revised the list above. (Changes in burgundy.)

Thanks again,
Andrew

Last edited:

noelf2

The bullet puller or worm aren't high on the list. I just thought I'd get them in case I left the plug wrench behind.

Most bullet pullers I've seen are for lead conical bullets or lead round ball. I don't know of any that are good for copper jacketed polymer tipped modern bullets you'll be using. Take the wrench with you, believe me, it's way less headache. The worm is only for pulling soft patching or wadding material. You won't be using any of that in your load.

I did get the Impact used and unfortunately the seater/jag was missing (along with the plug wrench). From what I hear, the jag that was to come with it works pretty slick. If I can find a TC replacement then that's what I plan to get.

You don't have to get a T/C replacement extender. You can get a 50 cal bullet seater / jag at any sporting goods store that sells muzzle loader supplies. I recommend you get a brass one, not nylon or plastic. Bass Pro, Gander Mtn, Dick's, they all have them. They probably have the T/C ones as well. Just make sure it is designed to seat pointed bullets like the shockwaves.

I was planning on just getting the 777 pellets to start. Unless they perform just awful I wasn't planning on getting regular powder and experimenting with optimal loads until later.

Good plan. I think you'll be happy. Don't buy a huge container of pellets unless you plan to shoot a lot. In my experience, the pellets seem to lose a bit of potency a year or so after the container has been opened. Some may differ, but that happened to me and I didn't have the same experience with loose triple 7 kept in the same conditions. YMMV

Last edited:
Great stuff. Thanks for the help. (I'm going to have to look at that TC video again and see if the bullet they pulled with the puller they were marketing was one of the Shockwaves they had been using earlier or if they made a switch.

noelf2

The shockwaves are about a buck a piece. I imagine using a puller would ruin a bullet. Better to take off the breech plug and push the bullet out of the barrel. That, and ease of cleaning are the benefits of the removable breech plug. ;)