Just got a Dillon 650

Willie Lowman

Just picked up a 650 reloading press. Haven't got it put together yet...

Any 650 owners out there have any advice or tips on things I should look out for?

This is my first progressive press.

Chaz88

Recommend you take your time and follow the directions carefully when you assemble it. I found it is not hard to miss something then have to take things apart to fix it. The only real problem I had was getting the chute that drops the loaded round into the bin to clear all the moving press parts. I think it got tweaked in packaging and took a lot of re bending to get it to clear. Once you get it running you will like it and make a bunch of ammunition fast.

Shootest

Congratulations, I have owned one for some 20 years now. It is a great press. Follow the instructions and call Dillon if you have any questions, even if you bought the press used, they will be happy to help.

Kevin Rohrer

If you got their video, watch it then have the press in front if you and try assembling it while watching the video a second time. The 650 is more intricate than the 550 and requires more attention to detail.

Chaz88

One other thing to look for. When I did the caliber change on mine somehow the spring loaded device that advances the shell plate when indexing got turned around backwards, without me having touched it. Took me a bit of time to figure out why it was not indexing correctly.

BigJimP

I've had one for quite a few years...

I think the video is a waste of time...but the manual is terrific. The steps in the manual are easy to understand ...but you have to read it as a "technical manual" not a novel...each and every step is important.

I'd suggest you read thru the manual - the setup process - and the loading process ...a couple of times / get a feel for how the press gets assembled - what you need to do to change calibers - and how the reloading process works. Give Dillon a call - if something doesn't make sense - the guys that answer the phones - know the equipment and how it works.

I've had no issues with my 650 - or the case feeder - and mine has loaded easily 100,000 rds by now ...

Great press. I have been a Dillon fan for many years, with my upgrade from the 550 to the 650 last year. Since I purchased it I have loaded over 50k+ rounds on it. You will love it. Suggestion would be to buy complete conversions and purchase additional tool heads with powder assemblies. Will save you so much time! It's so easy to just change out the shell plate and a few bushings, then pop in a new tool head with already set dies and powder dumper. Then your ready to go. Oh, and be aware not to drop the little detent ball for the shell plate into the hole without the spring in there. It's a pain to get out without a magnet! Have fun!!!

BPowderkeg

you made a great choice buying the Dillon 650.
about 10 years ago my wife got tired of me b!tching about the slowness of using a single stage press, e.g., RCBS Rock Chucker, i was spending about 6 hours a day trying to keep up with my shooting habits, so she asked me how to speed up the process, some one gave me a Blue Press catalog, i showed her what i wanted and she ordered the complete package, case feeder, low powder sensor, low primer sensor, etc., i made my own powder check die from an unused .44 mag die, turned a brass rod to .210, dropped it in the sizing die where the primer punch was, sizing die is a small base RCBS, seating die is also RCBS, for crimping i bought a Lee factory crimp die. i wish i had kept count of how many reloads i made, my next project is getting a counting device and adapting it to the case feeder or plate assy.

good luck and happy reloading.

Willie Lowman

The 650 lives! Got the double charge alarm tuned. Low primer alarm mounted. Case feeder feeding. Loaded my first 7 rounds of .45 ACP.

I'll test fire them in the morning. I don't expect any trouble as I have some experience loading on a single stage.

:)

Sky Master

You may want to look into getting a thrust bearing kit if you are going to reload for 9mm, 380, 40 S&W or 45acp. It will smooth out the advance so as not to jar the powder out of the shorter cases. Put one on mine when I reload those.

Archie

Great machine

I've had one for just around 17 years now. I bought a second one early this year and now I don't have to switch between large and small primer mechanisms. (I guess that's a personal best in lazy.)

I load a number of calibers. Instead of buying all the 'change kits', I've compiled an Excel file showing what parts go with which caliber for ease of switching calibers. (For instance, the same shell plate and locator pins are used for .32 ACP and .30 Carbine.)

I'll share it free if you - anyone - ask for it. However, I have to email it as an attachment.

chack

CenterFireBrass.com said:
buy complete conversions and purchase additional tool heads with powder assemblies. Will save you so much time! It's so easy to just change out the shell plate and a few bushings, then pop in a new tool head with already set dies and powder dumper.

This is a huge bennie, you can change calibers in less than ten minutes and all you have to do is check your powder charge.

I'd also recommend getting a couple extra depriming pins. They break pretty easy when a piece of berdan primed brass gets mixed in your cases.

Also, an electric case trimmer helps alot

Finally, don't be afraid to send broken stuff back to them, even if it shouldn't be covered by warrenty. They have great customer service and reward customer loyalty well.

redbeard55

I'd second Weshoot2 about bolting it down as tight as possible. If you are loading for a semi-auto, a case guage is a must. Yes, the 650 will crank out the rounds. Really doesn't matter if they shoot well or not. Make sure your test loads shoot well before cranking out too many. Its a pain to pull 1K or 2K of loaded ammo. Also watch for high primers. Check for high primers by running your finger over the primer when you are case gauging. Or load them primer up in 50 round boxes and run your finger over them.