just got a 44 Henry

kcub

because
  • I have lot of ammo I don't want to shoot out of a handgun
  • all these Rossi/Marlin/husband gun threads
  • no stupid safety
  • I like the way it loads through the top of the tube

mxsailor803

Its a hard rifle to beat. I shoot mine enough that I can't complain about it not being a side loader. Especially since no pinched/cut fingers.

Tony Z

I got a Henry Golden Boy in .45 Colt. Love the gun! Have a number of other lever actions without the tube loading and honestly there are advantages and disadvantages to each.

The anti-tube argument makes for good camp fire fodder, nothing more. The Henry is a great gun and we're lucky we still have gun makers wanting to supply us!

brasscollector

I've had one in 45 for a few years now. It shoots dead-on out to 50 yards, never adjusted the sights. A friend of mine will always ask if I brought the Henry when they host a shoot, and I usually do :)

kcub

Took it out shooting and had a blast. 44 mag does a number on soda cans!

I was wishing I had more than the box of 50 MagTechs. That was never going to happen with any 44 magnum revolver.

Targa

Should have picked up a 16" Rossi like mine, a box of 240gr Magtechs wears me out, of course the Rossi feels like a toy gun compared to those stout Henry's..:D. Henry's are nice to shoot, glad it is working well for you.

It wasn't actually done to cut costs, referencing an earlier thread where that idea was discussed.
Then why was it done? Very few people prefer the front loading tube. I am quite certain it cuts manufacturing costs. Henry is quite good about replying to e-mail inquiries, and I believe they have read supposed replies from them in the past on this issue citing cost. The loading gate adds a few parts and cuts and the front loading system adds almost nothing. I guess if it is a matter of contention I could send them an e-mail and see how they reply.

And unloading... A 22lr with similar loading fashion I just unload out the barrel at the end of my day(Marlin 981ts). DOn't always want to shoot $5 of 44 magnum.
It might make me an idiot to say so, but I don't like my hand being around the muzzle when I am loading. It always makes me a little uneasy with my Marlin 22 and I imagine it would make me more so with a 44 magnum.

All that said, I still like the guns and would probably buy one over a Marlin right now.

Last edited:

kcub

Mine is a 20" and no light weight. I prefer the tube loading. If I was on horseback I might feel differently but I'm not so I don't.

Guv

My cousin showed me his Steel Henry 30-30 last weekend. I will say the fit and finish was excellent and the wood on that rifle is beautiful, almost doesn't look real (I know it is)! He said he liked the loading tube but it's just a fun gun for him. One thing I did note is the window in the tube looks huge, :eek: I'm use to 22's and 22mags with this setup. I still prefer the traditional loading gate for various reasons but to each his own.