Just gave away a rifle

skeeter1

Not a big deal, an old Savage .22 single-shot to one of my shooting buddies. He's got 5 kids ranging in age from 5 to 17, and it should be a good starter. I got it (also for free) more years ago than I care to remember. It's still in plenty good condition.

It felt good to pass that along to a new generation of shooters.

Edward429451

It does feel good don't it? I've given away four guns over the years to (close) friends & family.

Good on ya. Most people are too greedy to do something like that.

skeeter1

Anthony--

Thanks for the reply. It sometimes seems a lot of people are more concerned with collecting then mentoring new shooters. I've known the kids dad for about 15 years, and I know for sure that he won't let them use it without supervision.

I'll be going out to his small (11 acre) farm tomorrow with the .357 Magnum carbine. The 25yd indoor range by me doesn't do it justice. Much better to stretch it out to about 100yds. :)

skeeter1

Thanks guys,

I know this is the "right thing" to do. I've long since outgrown the .22 singleshot, but it's still good for beginners. When I drop it off tomorrow, we'll seal the deal the old-fashioned way -- with a handshake. I wouldn't trust giving away a firearm to just anyone, but Kevin is a close friend.

I'm feeling better about this idea all the time, and your encouraging words certainly help.

Thanks again.

maas

i gave away a shotgun once to a buddie that just move out and didnt have a home defense gun. the gun was given to me because it was "junk" turns out it was put together wong so i put it back together righ and refinshed the stocks. turned out to be a nice gun for a sears semi auto.

My uncle once gave my other uncle an sks for his birthday, he nearly cried he was so blown away. Plus, that's just one more person in his militia oneday...:rolleyes:

Anthony Terry

I'll let a trustworthy buddy hunt with any of my rifles i'm not taking out that day. It's te right thing to do if they don't have a rifle to hunt with. It's always good to intro someone into shooting and hunting. One day when you need something, your friend will be there to help you out too. Thats the way it should be.

AMT8951

A few years back I was on patrol down by the RR tracks on a midnight shift. Somehow, something caught my eye, and a found a rifle in a soft case, lying in some brush.
I took the gun back to the station, and took it out of the case. The case was just about rotted away, but the gun , a Rem 760 in 30/06, looked to be in decent shape. There was just a little surface rust on the exterior, and the heel was broken off the stock. After determining that it hadn't been reported as stolen, and wasn't being sought in conection to a crime, I cleaned it real well, punched the bore, tagged it, and put it into the evidence locker, and forgot about it.
Just this last spring I got a call from the evidence tech. He told me they were cleaning out the evidence locker and had found the rifle stuck in a corner. The tech told me to come get it or they were going to destroy it! After I got the gun home I realized that I really didn't need another 30/06deer rifle (I already own a rem 742 and 721, both in 30/06) a . I decided to give it to one of the rookies who was just starting out and didn't have a lot of dough to spend on a gun. Everyone thought I was nut's for not selling it, but my fellow officer was very thankful. Now I remind him about my generosity evertime I need someone to cover a shift for me.:)

TPAW

Just gave away a rifle

This must be contagious! I just gave one of my many pre 64 Winchesters to a good friends son. He's 16 and just starting to shoot the 30 calibre class. Wants to hunt this year for the first time.

skeeter1

The old .22 is gone

I went to my friend's farm today to do a little shooting. I gave his son (~15Y/O) the Savage .22, and he seemed pleased that now him and his dad can go out shooting/hunting small game without having to share one rifle. We shot the old Savage, and it still works fine, although it does have one heck of a raspy trigger pull.

I tried out the Marlin 1894C with 145gr Winchester Silvertips, and that's no cap gun! Not in the .30-30 league, but not far behind it.

I've got my work cut out for me with the boresighter -- at ~60-70yds it was shooting almost 2' high! What was I thinking? Windage seemed perfect.

Still, it was a boy's day out just shooting tin cans and old boards. Great fun!

maas

it might have a "raspy' trigger pull but skeeter i bet you hell like it just the same. that was a nice thing you did.

UniversalFrost

Good for you.

I did the same thing with an old stevens bolt action .22 a few years back. Gave it to the son of a farmer who had been letting me hunt deer on his property (I now have an open invitation for as long as he owns the place). Took the kid hunting with it and he loved it. Kid has gotten so good with it now that there are harldy any prairie dogs left for me to shoot when I go out there. That little kid cherishes the rifle and will never give it up (hopefully) plus every time we as gun/hunting enthusiasts do something like this it helps to bring another into the flock and keep them away from the liberal anti gun/hunting nuts.

One word of caution though. Teach them proper gun safety and hunter safety before letting them loose with the guns.

Anthony Terry

My turn!

Man, you've got me wanting to give up my savage semi 22lr. Who want's it?:D
Seriously, I always let my "responsible" friends borrow a hunting rifle when they need it 'cause it's just the right thing to do. I like to help out whenever I can. Though i'm not going to let anyone use my New medallion! I'd say it'll be hard enough for me to keep it in good shape. It looks fragile.
I realize that i've got off on a completely different subject so I'm gonna quit now while I'm ahead.:D

skeeter1

Thanks, gentlemen

Giving away that rifle made me feel 10' tall, and the kid was happy to get it. I know his dad won't let it out of his sight without supervision, and I'm sure I'll be able to go back to his farm to do some more shooting. As I said, we sinched the deal with an old-fashioned handshake, nothing else.

It's been a long time since I've just been plinking at tin cans on a farm, and you know what? That's a lot more fun than the "sterility" of an indoor range! :)