Just Found my Christmas Present!

Nightcrawler

For $299 in a local shop. Couldn't make a down payment, but I know the guy who runs the shop and he put it behind the counter for me.

It's a Smith & Wesson 25-5 revolver. .45 Colt, 5" bbl, blue finish. Locks up like a swiss watch, trigger is great. Not as tough as a Redhawk I guess, but I don't plan on putting any Buffalo Bore Thermonuclear loads through it anyway.

I fell in love instantly.

Nightcrawler

One thing before I buy: I know the Smith N-Frame won't handle the really really hot stuff like a Redhawk or Super Redhawk will. However, the Smith is nicer looking, has a better trigger, and being used, costs a couple hundred less.

However, what loads are safe with it? I don't handload. Will one box of hunting pressure ammo hurt it? What about the defensive stuff offered by Cor-Bon (200grn @ 1050fps) and others?

Just want to make sure she's not fragile before I buy.

Gila Jorge

Ask Terry Murbach of CorBon that question. He posts on this board. Maybe look up his member
profile and ask him directly. He has tested most of that stuff personally. Also I think Smith had problems with the chamber or bore sizes with some
of their 45 LCs so that maight be a problem. But those N Frames are sweet guns....I was looking at a 4" that came by recently....

Nightcrawler

I don't think this particular example is very old. The blueing was a little worn on the barrel and hammer, but it has high-viz sights (white box rear, orange ramp front). If I'm not mistaken, they didn't start putting those on many guns until like the late 80s.

Walosi

The 25-5 is a sweet shooting revolver in .45 Colt. The CorBons are at the top of the limit, but not over. Mine likes the 255 gr. bullets at 850-900 fps (Hornady and Sierra recipes). This isn't magnum stuff by any means, but will take anything on our continent. The gun is accurate enough to put them where they will do the least good. The red ramp/white outline sights have been around for many years, and are not an indication of the guns' age. The Hi Viz sights are a new innovation - Bar of bright, light gathering material mounted as a front sight.

Nightcrawler

Just read an article by John Linebaugh. He says he carries a 25-5 loaded with a 260grn Keith bullet @ 900fps. That's exactly the type of load I was looking for. If J.L. says it's okay, I believe him.

What, exactly, is a Keith bullet?

Hal

What, exactly, is a Keith bullet?
Think cast lead semi wadcutter. Sharp shoulder, large meplat.
Seriously, young fella, the gun gods are smiling on you here. If it's as tight and sound as you describe, jump all over that deal with both feet. This is one of those "I'll kick myself for years to come" kind of deals. Start out by offering $275 out the door,,,don't let it get away though if they stay firm at the asking price. $299. is a decent price for a 25-5 in 95% or better shape. They aren't all that common.

FWIW, the original black powder load was a 255 gr @ ~ 1000 fps. Even the so called "powder puff" cowboy loads are equal to a .45acp, being a 255 gr at ~ 800+ fps out of the revolvers. The .45LC is one round it's hard to feel uncomfortable with using any and all ammo. IMNSHO, there just isn't a "bad" .45LC round made.

Nightcrawler

Huh. No idea it was such a find. Sweet!

Can anybody post a picture of this piece? It's a Smith & Wesson 25-5, 5" barrel, blue finish.

It's really pretty.