Just for fun Lever brush gun pickem....

crimsondave

Browning BLR in .358 Winchester, or...

Marlin 1895 .45-70.

I know BLR is also in .450 Marlin, but that ain't the question. :D

azredhawk44

.45/70.

Brass is the same price between them... but .45/70 is a lot easier to find and you have a lot more choices in brass manufacturer.

It's also a straightwall cartridge and less prone to stretching or case-head separation.

yep... agree... if you're collecting, the 358 would be interesting... but for just plain old fun, the 45-70 is hard to beat, between the two...

mapsjanhere

I love the BLR due to the ability to use any bullet shape I like. But I have the 450 Marlin so I'm not objective enough to judge between the two calibers.

dgludwig

If you are anticipating many shots past 150 yards or so, I'd opt for the .358-much flatter downrange trajectory. 45-70 ammunition, however, will be much easier to find and cheaper when you do.

CraigC

Might be a good idea if we knew the intended purpose. If it's whitetail and hogs, there are better options that won't beat you up.

Abel

My brush gun for whitetail is a Marlin 30-30 336A model. Open sights. Another caliber that would interest me is the 35 Rem, in the same model gun.

smith357

I'm a .45-70 kind of guy. i like the versatility of the cartridge I can shoot fast 300 grain bullets or slow 500s and a variety of cast bullets.

badlander

The Marlin 1895 Is big fun. I always bring along something smaller to shoot cuz that 45-70 will beat me up after A while.

eastbank

i had a short 98 mauser in 358 win. and it was the cats meow. and its not more expensive to shoot, 308 cases are every where and are the parent cartige case for the 358 along with good 35 cal. bullets. i own three 45-70,s and enjoy them but the 358 to me is a better deer and bear shell. eastbank.

bfoosh006

Marlin in 45/70..you can "Hot Rod" the ammo if you reload ! I've reloaded my own for years, a 405 gr Rem. soft point at 1900 FPS is always fun.

DanB

Go Marlin. I have an 1895G that is a hoot to shoot. Unfortunately it is on its way to Marlin for them to fix a loading issue. Rounds not seating properly against the loading gate cutout. Causing a Marlin Jamb.

Of the 12 rounds I did manage to work through it before I decided to send it off, I have no regrets. I dropped the hammer first on a 300grn Remington SJH. First thoughts, not as bad as I thought, similar to my 336 without a recoil pad. Then I moved onto the Hornady 325grn LE ammo. OUCH, just a bit more punch.

I'm still planning on running some Buffalo Bore 500s through it when I get it back.

Its going to be a long wait. Not as hard as the wait for my suppressor was.

murphjup

Just got an 1895SBL, Havent taken any pics yet,, you cant go wrong with it as a brush gun... I got a hog the first day out with it...

I also have a BLR in .308, comparing the two rounds to me are like apples and oranges, while the .308 is a great rifle round, the 45/70 is more of a brush round....

:)

Christchild

Marlin XLR Stainless .45/70......Iron Sights.....No scope.

If scoped, Red Dot, Low Magnification.

B-b-b-b-b-Baaaad! Bad Thru Tha Bone!

Edward429451

If you go with the 45/70 a worthy addition to it is the Happy Trigger from Wild West Guns. I've never felt such a nice trigger on a lever gun. (My very first shot was premature, but still pointed downrange so it was ok,:eek:) so be careful!