Just curious - why relatively few 4.25" Commanders

horseman308

When I was looking for a 1911 not too long ago, I strongly considered a Commander-length for a variety of reasons (balance, easier to conceal if I wanted, aesthetics). One thing I noticed is that it seems there are relatively few of the true Commander length 1911's being made - the 4.25" barreled ones, especially in 9mm. I know Colt makes the original, but only .45acp now. Para made a 9mm LTC but now only makes the .45acp.

The rest of the true-Commander sized ones seem to be made by the high-end companies (Ed Brown, Dan Wesson, etc.) or by "budget" companies where I might be worried about quality and reliability for daily carry purposes. Springfield and Kimbers are 4" guns; STI's Ranger II is close (4.15") but has the bull barrel and RecoilMaster guide rod, rather than the standard bushing barrel.

I guess I'm just curious, but is there a particular reason that it's so hard to find an affordable 4.25" Commander, especially if you wanted 9mm? Is it just that few people want them, or are they harder to build?

shabodah

I don't see how a 1/4" would make the gun harder to build, should be either easier or the same. My question, is how come hardly anyone makes a commander slide on an officer frame, despite the fact that most people I know who are into 1911s think it is the best setup for CCW?

RickB

You'll also generally find the 4" guns are bushingless, while the "true Commanders" have bushing barrels; I think you must use a bull barrel on guns shorter than 4.25", unless you want to go with an Officers' style bushing that's large enough in I.D. to the clear the barrel lugs in recoil. The "standard" 1911 barrel lengths used to be 3.5", 4.25", and 5", but now it's 3", 4", and 5"'; most people must prefer round numbers. I suspect it actually has to do with the shorter guns being cheaper to make.

Shooters' Arms Manufacturing (S.A.M.) has been making a true 4-1/4" Commander-size 1911 for years. I believe they are currently being imported by ATI.

It's just NOT the original. It's O.K., but the all steel one seems balanced wrong, and the LW one is not as durable as an all steel gun. You get less velocity & energy than the 5" guns, and less sight radius. I guess most people just feel if you are going to carry a .45, you may as well carry the big'un.

michael t

Lots of Commanders out their. Their made in proper 1911 caliber 45acp. I have a old Colt Commander made 1951 that's a 9mm But I rather carry the 45 myself if I going to carry a Commander . The LTW Commander makes a great carry pistol. In 45acp of course. :D

Sharpsdressed Man said:
It's just NOT the original. It's O.K., but the all steel one seems balanced wrong, and the LW one is not as durable as an all steel gun. You get less velocity & energy than the 5" guns, and less sight radius. I guess most people just feel if you are going to carry a .45, you may as well carry the big'un.
I respectfully disagree -- and so do several of my friends. I think the all-steel Commander balances better and points more naturally than the 5" Government model. The shorter sight radius isn't an issue unless you're into bullseye competition. In practical shooting, I've competed using both 5" and 4-1/4" pistols and I do equally badly with both.

I know some police officers who happily carry Commanders as their duty weapons.

Andy Taylor

I agree. I prefer the 4.25" length over the currently more popular 4", just because I prefer the original bushing set up. I recently was looking for a LW 4.25" commander. Unfortunatly the LW version from Colt is not on the roster in CA, only the steel model. I ended up with a Lightwieght Springfield with a 5" barrel.

Auto426

There doesn't really seem to be a large lack of Commander sized guns. Colt, of course, is the originator of the Commander and one of the most popular. Para Ordnance, Sig, Nighthawk, Les Baer, Ed Brown, Dan Wesson, S&W, as well as many of the Philippine budget 1911's and probably a few more that I can't think of all offer Commander sized guns.

In fact, I'd say that the 4" guns are in minority, since the only manufacturers that I can think of producing them are Springfield, Kimber, Wilson Combat, and Rock Island (there may be a few other Philippine 4 inchers, its hard to keep up with all of them). Kimber and Springfield happen to make up a large portion of the 1911 market, and you typically here about their compact sized 1911's much more than those of other companies.

If you can't find a true Commander sized gun in your price range, then you must not be looking hard enough.

popeye

I bought a Desert Eagle (now owned by Kahr) Commander size gun. They market it as a "semi compact". It's built in Israel. Very nice gun for the money. I mention it because the barrel length is 4.33"

Last edited:

Catchabullet

desert eagle....

i'm sorry but i do believe the OP was asking about 1911 design guns. i have a colt commander in .45 (all steel) and i wouldn't have it any other way for a carry gun... it's well balanced and cake to shoot.

Baba Louie

...i'm sorry but i do believe the OP was asking about 1911 design guns.
popeye was talking about a 1911 design, now offered by DE/Kahr, I do believe. BUL was going to make them for Charles Daly who did the specs based on consumers desires, but went to a higher bidder (Magnum Research) with a tad bit of controversy involved... as CD went down the tubes soon thereafter.
http://www.magnumresearch.com/Desert_Eagle_1911.asp

Or so I read.

Commanders are nice. My preference in the platform. YMMV

I guess I'm just curious, but is there a particular reason that it's so hard to find an affordable 4.25" Commander, especially if you wanted 9mm? Is it just that few people want them, or are they harder to build?

No, they are not harder to build. There just isn't a big market for 9mm 1911s of that size. If most people want a 9mm that size, they go with something much cheaper such as a Glock.

Contrary to another poster, there aren't too many out there that match your specs. Getting actual 4.25" Commander in 9mm that is affordable isn't a common setup. You can find some higher costing 1911s that will fit, but they aren't going to be affordable like a Glock is.

hulley

What is an "Officers Frame"? I have a serious itch for a 4" alloy frame 1911. I had a 5" full size all steel 1911 a few years back and that thing was heavy as hell.

horseman308

I think an officer's frame is the Commander length (or shorter) slide, barrel, and dust cover with a shorter grip, whereas a Commander is the 4-4.25 length with a full-size grip.

bossman

My favorite sized gun is the commander on an officer's frame. 4.25 barrel with the shorter grips for carry, what's not to like.

I think it will be along time till when the Commander falls out of favor. With the alloy frame it will be around for CCW work for awhile.

It's just hard to find them on the used market because no one gets rid of them. They're keepers.