Just curious, does anyone carry .32 for sd?

Erikbal

I've seen so many different opinions on here about what calibers are acceptable for self defense and most seem to believe that the smallest caliber they'd go with is 380, and some say no smaller than 9mm. I have a friend, or actually more like an acquaintance that carrys a Keltec .32. Also how big of a difference is there betweem the .32 and 380? 380 is what I carry at the moment and all I have for now, but I don't think I'd want to go any smaller. I do feel safe with the 380 though.

dsk

I have a Kel-Tec P32 that I carry on those occasions when I can't bring a larger firearm along. It's loaded with FMJ for reliability's sake.

Erikbal

What made you choose that over something like a compact 380? More capacity? I don't suppose you own a 380 and could post of pic of a .32 round next to the 380 round?

PSP

Just curious, does anyone carry .32 for sd?

Many people carry a .32. KelTec made their mark in the world with it. Seecamp turns out all they can make with a waiting list. You bet people carry it. I do almost every day.:cool:

hoytinak

I had a P32 I carried for a while and felt comfortable with it.

The P32 is slightly smaller than the P-3AT, holds 1 more round and recoil is alot softer allowing for faster follow-up shots IMO.

orionengnr

At one point I owned a P32 and a P380. Shooting them back-to-back (and applying with Newton's Third) convinced me to never carry a .32.

orionengnr

:)The difference in recoil between the .32 and the .380. From Post #5 above:
The P32 is slightly smaller than the P-3AT, holds 1 more round and recoil is alot (sic) softer allowing for faster follow-up shots IMO.
--Newton's Third Law: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
--In comparison to the .380, the .32 is a popcorn fart, and the .380 is no powerhouse to begin with.

I own an LCP and Kahr PM9...98% of the time, I carry a 1911 in .45 acp...because that is what I shoot best. Note--I am not a large man nor a young one.
I consider the .32 inadequate, the .380 sub-optimal, the 9mm borderline (YMMV). I carry the LCP or the PM9 about 3 days per year each (probably so I can justify keeping them). And some day soon I'll be an old fart and my back will hurt more than it does today, and I will want a lighter gun to carry...:)

Last edited:

pelo801

i have several .32 autos. i won't carry them, but that's because they are all single action only. i don't feel comfortable carrying "cocked and locked". i won't carry a single action, some do and i say more power to them. but it's not for me. if i did have a DA/SA or DAO .32, i would carry it. but it wouldn't be very often and probably with fmj only also. i think the .32 is barely adequate, at least with what else is available. but it is better than a slap fight with your attacker. i believe the .380 is a way better choice, especially when compared to the 32. i carry an lcp from time to time. but i feel more comfortable with other guns and not just because they have a bigger caliber.

Willie Sutton

Seecamp or Keltec .32 ACP's are often found in my jeans front pocket.
All depends on which one the wife has grabbed for hers... :eek:

Both have been found to be fully reliable with CorBon HP's.

Advice: Aim for the eyes and shoot early and often.

Willie

12GaugeShuggoth

Erikbal here's a picture for ya. Hope you like it :)

n2cu4j.jpg

From left to right:
50gr. 25acp, 71gr. 32acp, 90gr. 380acp, 115gr. 9mm, 180gr. 40s&w, 230gr. 45acp, 20 gauge rifled slug, 12 gauge rifled slug.

The 25acp bullet is slightly bulged, so it looks larger than it would normally be.

mrvco

I have a Beretta Tomcat and I'm finding that I can shoot it more accurately than my Airweight .38. If you can shoot the .380 as accurately as a .32, then it's hard to make the case for .32 when .380's are typically just as easy to conceal.

That being said, If you have anything less than a 10MM, you will always find someone to tell you that it's not enough.