Just came back from my LGS, some questions for the S&W gurus.

Viper99

Hello all,
Was a my lgs and they have a couple of interesting revolvers that I would like your opinion on if I may.

Model 36 about 95% they are asking $474 but will let me have it for $430 OTD.
There is also a model 49, a model 10-4 and a model 12-2 in even better condition. All are priced in the $450/470 range.

From reading on this forum, the SW 36 seems to be a must have for any collector or S&W enthusiast but what about the model 49, 10-4 and the model 12? are they worth owning?

Regards to all for your comments.

Joe_Pike

I had two model 36s and gave them both to family members. I paid $345 & $385 a few years ago and they were both in really nice shape, so, $430 OTD isn't bad. If it was me I would get the 49 if it was in better shape and about the same price since it much more difficult to run across. Model 10s are great but there isn't a shortage of them. The model 12 is basically the model 10 with an alloy frame and , again, a little tougher to find than the 36 and 10.

P5 Guy

I cannot think of a pre lock, MIM S&W revolver that is NOT worth owning.
For 'collector value' the correct box, tools, paperwork and grips need to be part of the deal, but don't just think of buying to set in the safe.
Around these parts nice tight revolvers under $500 are a bargain.

Viper99

Allow me to refrase the collector part since I am not a collector but still want the gun to be as new as possible. The plan however is to shoot them a lot.

The only one of the ones I mentioned that had the box and paper is the model 49. I would think that I can get it for around the same $430 range.

Regards

KMAX

Where do you guys find S&W revolvers for under $500 that aren't beat all to hell and back. In these parts used S&Ws are hard to find in any condition. It is a small town (25,000) but even in the bigger towns they are scarce.. I would say for the OPs price it would probably be a good buy. $.02.

Kev

Where do you guys find S&W revolvers for under $500 that aren't beat all to hell and back. In these parts used S&Ws are hard to find in any condition. It is a small town (25,000) but even in the bigger towns they are scarce.. I would say for the OPs price it would probably be a good buy. $.02.

I better not tell Kmax about my just found $299.00 Combat Masterpiece ehh?

Joe_Pike

The only one of the ones I mentioned that had the box and paper is the model 49. I would think that I can get it for around the same $430 range.

I would definately do the 49 then.

spanishjames

I passed on a nickel 49 recently, and have been kicking myself ever since. It was priced at $419, nice original grips, and great lock-up. :(

papershotshells

I too would go for the 49, especially with the box and paperwork.

I had a very nice nickel finish 49 several years ago and I loved it. One of those that got away that I wish I had back. It shot better than it had a right to, and better than I could hold it.

Papershotshells

Obambulate

I would be tempted by the 12-2 since they are hard to find. The M 49 with box & papers may be the most collectable, but then you might not want to shoot it. For pure shooting enjoyment, the M10 is the winner. Tough choice, but at those very reasonable prices, it's hard to go wrong.

bedbugbilly

I bought a Model 36 snub a couple of months ago that had never been fired - it had the box but the box was damaged. I paid $400 for mine. I don't think the price you are talking is out of line from what I've seen - I was just lucky on mine. The LGS that I usually haunt didn't have anything in vintage Smiths. A couple of weeks later, when I stopped in, one of the guys collared me and showed me a new 36 - he was sure I'd want it. The price was over $700 for a new one. I just smiled and declined. T don't think the new ones at over $700 are going to shoot any better than the one I got or the one you're looking at. :)

sarge83

Go for the 49, another 36 will come along.

I find most of my good revolvers at pawn shops usually in the $250-$500 range for S&W and Rugers. For Colts it depends, sometimes you find a steal for $300-$400 range sometimes you pay MUCH more depending on the model.

BigJimP

Well the model 49 is a J frame...

the model 12 and 10's are both K frames...

and while they are all .38 spl's...there is quite a difference in how they might feel in your hands / and that should be the criteria you use...in my opinion.
----------
I have about 25 S&W revolvers...but I'm a shooter - not a purist "collector" ...my accumulation, is of the S&W models and calibers that I have always enjoyed shooting the most ...( boxes and papers are irrelevant to me )...and I don't keep them, even if they came with the gun.

Personally, I don't think having the box and papers affects the value much, if any ....I think its more of an internet thing that gets kicked around / but to a "pure collector" it might make a difference....to a "shooter/collector" like me, it makes no difference.
--------
Of the guns you're looking at ....I'm not that fond of the model 12's with the alloy frames / the model 10's to me are a more solid gun...and I just don't care for any of the J frames ...they're too small in my hands for me to shoot effectively....so the model 49 would be out for me.

It sounds to me, like they have them priced about right ....

If you haven't looked at some of the K frames.....in .357 mag ( like model 19's or 66's / I think you should at least compare them to these guns you're looking at ) ....and see what you prefer / you can shoot .38 spl's in a .357 mag of course...and while a model 19 or 66 will cost you a little more, most shooters/collectors will tell you they are "must have" guns in their S&W revolver collections - or accumulations like mine....

Viper99

BigJimP,
I bought a model 19-7 from them about 2 weeks ago in 95% or better condition. It was and still is my only revolver. It belonged to one of the workers at the lgs.

I am now activately trying to get the same person to sell me his model 686 with a 3 inch barrel he says that are very rare. He already told me that if he sells it, it won't be cheap. Its in pristine condition.

The model 19 feels great in my hand and I wouldn't mind a model 66 to go along with it.

BigJimP

Model 19's in 2 1/2" or 4" .....and model 66's ...in the same lengths are some of my all time favorites too....

and maybe a model 27 or 28 / N frame in a 4" down the road....
---------------
I have a few....

some model 19's in Nickel / and 66's in 4"
http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82015&d=1339792625

photo is pretty bad....but...
------------
would be better guns than the model 10, 12 or 49 --- in my opinion. But everybody should buy what they like.

Viper99

Just a few heh?:eek::eek:

Mine is a 4 inch. Would love to have a 66 with a 4 inch barrel too.

The model 27 will be next on line.:D