Just bought this rifle. Need help with make, model etc.

moabman69

I bought this rifle from a yard sale. The lady said it was her father's and it had been in the closet for many years. She didn't have the year make or model and no history. I am looking for any ideas. Thanks!

Attachments

• serial numbet.jpg
    serial numbet.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 191
  • bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 171
  • stock.jpg
    stock.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 181

RJay

It was a 03, but someone sporterized it and turned it into a nice looking sporter. Caliber? don't know, it started life as a 30-06, However the caliber could have been changed also.

Jim Watson

It is a heavily sporterized 1903A3 from the WWII era.
It is not possible to tell anything more from your pictures, the barrel might be GI .30-06 or it could be a replacement in about any caliber.

The serial number is bogus; A3 numbers started at 3000000.

Possibly a pilfered service rifle sporterized on the economy during the Occupation and remarked to obscure its origin.

James K

Member In Memoriam
IIRC, Santa Fe serials began with 7 million. That 2 million serial number makes it "the rifle that never was." Springfield stopped at 1.5 million something, and Remington began at 3 million. It looks to me like whoever did the "sporterizing" and "engraving" ground off all the markings, then put on a fake serial number. One concern I would have is that those rifles were hard, not easy to engrave without annealing the receiver and doing that requires heat. Was the receiver heated? I don't know. If it was, how hot did it get? Again, I don't know. But I would be concerned about firing the rifle until I knew more about what was done to it.

Jim

RJay

After Santa Fe ran out of leftover receivers, didn't they have their own cast ( not machined ) ?. I seem to remember something along those lines. of course my memory nowadays is as short as my , well you know. I went into a room the other day and forgot what I was there for, luckily it was the bath room.

Last edited:

jbrown

If a company sporterizes ,and grinds off serial numbers of surplus recievers,they are supposed to give it a new serial number,what it is doesn't matter,as long as they keep records.

James K

Member In Memoriam
As I understand, only a licensed manufacturer can put on his own serial numbers and location; a gunsmith who has to remove the serial number for some reason should contact BATFE before doing so; he will either be told to re-use the original number or be assigned a number by BATFE. I am still inclined to think the number in this case is simply spurious, especially since there is no location or any indication of where a record can be found.

Yes, Santa Fe had receivers cast in Spain. Some were not high quality and there are reports of blowups. In the 1960's we sold quite a few SF rifles and had no reports of blowups, but we did get one in that the bolt (shipped in the box) would not fit because the receiver was twisted 20 degrees or so. We returned it and got a good one, or at least one that worked.

I now seem to recall that Santa Fe started at 5 million; it was National Ordnance that started at 7 million. The history of those companies is interesting, but confusing. Anyone who wants to Google can research it; I have done it before and won't bother to do it again.

Jim

moabman69

More pictures

Here are a few more pictures.

Attachments

• chamber.jpg
    chamber.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 80
  • butt.jpg
    butt.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 65
  • fsights.jpg
    fsights.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 68

moabman69

A few more

A few more.

Attachments

• trigger.jpg
    trigger.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 60
  • boltleft.jpg
    boltleft.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 58
  • boltright.jpg
    boltright.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

moabman69

More pictures

And more

Attachments

• stock1.jpg
    stock1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 54
  • rearsight.jpg
    rearsight.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 62
  • rstock.jpg
    rstock.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 53

James K

Member In Memoriam
The problem with a rifle like that is that it was made to suit the tastes of one man. Only another man with the same tastes would buy it. If you like it and it shoots OK, you have a good, and unique, sporting rifle. But its dollar value is low; the engraving is not high quality and, as I said, it was made to suit one man.

As always with a strange rifle, you should check it out carefully or, if you don't have the experience, have a gunsmith do so.

Jim

jbrown

it would seem from the pictures,that it has no open sights,at least not a rear one,and is not drilled and tapped.
probably hasn't been fired much lately.
oops never mind,I see the rear sight now. :eek:

highpower3006

It's a low number Springfield '03 that someone added a "2" to the serial number. If you look closely at the serial number, the first 2 is spaced slightly off from the rest of the numbers.

Jim Watson

No.
It is a 1903A3 that had a made up number applied.
See the big male dovetail on the receiver bridge for a peep sight? That is the immediate identifier of the A3. All nickel steel or vanadium steel.