just bought my first revolver!

Betty

I just bought my first revolver (I don't count my NAA mini). It's a Taurus 617, the ported stainless 7-shot .357 Magnum. I bought it new from my favorite pawn shop for $330 before taxes and the $10 TBI instant background check. Diane, the store owner, ran clean out of .357 ammo, so I settled for .38 Special's and hocked some .357's off my brother. Hey, every girl needs a good six-shooter to complement her semi-auto. :D

This was a mission not only for me but a secret one for my father; he has a green parkerized Colt 1991A1, but rarely carries it on him because it is so large. He also does not group well with it, though with smaller caliber pistols he shoots quite well. He is stubborn and doesn't seem to want to get past his weak cup-and-saucer grip even after the prodding of both my brother and I, and has not looked for an alternative carry pistol. So, he rarely carries at all. I was hoping that in owning the Taurus, he would shoot it and like it and it would possibly inspire him to find a carry pistol that would suit him better.

I chose this particular model after researching many different ones in that caliber; I wanted something fresh out of the box that I wouldn't have to modify to suit me, and one that was also known to be reliable and efficient. It is an excellent pistol, and I shot well with it immediately. To get the general feel for a revolver, I always start by shooting it single-action. I had 2 inch groups from 25 feet. When I shot it double-action, I did not do well, as my shots scattered the size of a large dinner plate. After a couple more tries I tightened my groups. With the .38 Specials in UMC's and Silvertips, there was almost zero muzzle jump. With the .357's in Gold Dots, the kick was much more noticeable, but it came from the grips jumping upwards into my palm. My groups were the same with both calibers. It was amusing to see the blast of flame coming out the ports. I went though 125 rounds with no sign of my hands getting tired, and wished I had bought more.

My father was eager to try it out. He took to it immediatley, shooting better with it than I had ever seen him do with his Colt. He was amazed that the snubbie hardly kicked at all. Impressed, and said he'd most likely be searching out an alternative for his Colt. Mission accomplished.

What is a shame is that I shoot much more accurately with the Taurus than my Kahr K40, which is my normal carry pistol. Funny I also shoot better with a full-size 1911. It's not the Kahr's fault; I think a tiny semi-auto in such a large caliber kicks alot and scatters my shots wider. On a good day I can shoot a 2.5" group, but most of the time it's in a 4" to a 6" group. Seems like I have a new carry pistol now; even though the caliber is smaller than my Kahr's, I believe the shot placement is more important. (My Kahr is sitting on my bed right now, whispering, "You traitor! How could you do this to me! I don't love you anymore!")

Doc Hudson

Congratulations.

When you find the load your revolver likes best, don't be surprised to find the group size shrinks considerably. Not all .357's will shoot .38 Spl's accurately.

If you do not reload, this is a wonderful time to start. In addition to being chambered for more powerful cartridges, in some cases, the revolver has another major advantage over semi-autos. You don't have to scramble around chasing brass. It is waiting patiently there in the cylinder until you remove it. This is a very important feature for handloaders.

Comparing the recoil of you steel framed Taurus .357 to the light weight Kahr .40 is comparing apples to oranges. They are different breeds of cat and should be considered separately.

Suggest to your Dad that he check out S&W M-19's (older used police turn-ins) and Ruger GP-100's he might like their feel.

Doc Hudson

Betty

I do enjoy being able to plop the empties right in the 5 gallon bucket rather than be on my hands and knees sorting through the grass.

Now I have three questions:

I would like to color the front sight fluorescent orange, but will the porting cook it right off?

Who makes the best speedloaders?

Are there any speedloader pouches with a belt clip? Most I've seen have belt loops.

Doc Hudson

I can not answer you flourecent orange question since I've never painted the sights on a ported gun. I think you best bet would be to have an insert inletted into the sight. Check with some of the local gunsmiths.

As for the speedloaders, and carriers, let me ask what you plan to use the for. If you are looking for ease of concealment, forget it if you are not packing them in your purse.

I am a big guy, and I find concealing speedloader pouches as difficult as concealing a handgun. I use Bianchi Speed Strips to carry spare ammo for my .357 CCW guns.

The speed strips are not as fast as the speed loaders, but they are easier to conceal in jeans and light shirt ocassions.

Search fo a recent discussion of the merits of different makes and styles of speed loaders. That thread was highly educational.

Doc Hudson

Jim March

Don't assume that the .357 is *less* effective than .40Liberty...

While the .40 may start at a bigger bore, the .357 tends to drive it's loads faster. That in turn equals more reliable expansion. And because there's no "feed ramp issues", .357/.38 fodder can be designed with a relatively bigger JHP opening, which also makes for strong expansion.

Upshot: the .357 may leave the gun at a smaller bore than the .40, but odds are quite good that the situation will be reversed in the actual target!

Hence many of us, myself included, respect the .357 as a better stopper than the .40*&*, especially from a barrel over 3".

One other thing: with some really hot hardcast 158grain loads, the .357 can deliver serious "deep punch" on hard-target critters such as boar or even small bears if you know where to hit 'em. You can also get shotshells for small game...all this makes the .357 an *excellent* "woods companion" survival and defense gun for the 48 states...a bit light for Alaska though :). No wilderness-loving gunnie should be without at least one stainless .357.

As to sight paint "burning off", I wouldn't worry about it. The "flash" is so fast I don't think there'll be time for the paint to heat up much. Having an actual Tritium front dot put in down the road would be a great idea though :).

Jim

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Welcome to wheelguns... just don't do a retention shot with that.. you'll set your clothes on fire.

I tend to dislike porting but on those small framed/lightwieght guns it can make sense.

Sounds like you might have to find ANOTHER one while your Dad takes yours.

Betty

I've already had a person or two tell me to keep my hair out of the way or it'll catch on fire. If it sets the badguy on fire, than hey, more points for me!

This is my third carry pistol; my first was a Walther PPK/S in .380, in which it's extractor cracked and was promptly replaced by my Kahr. I have always enjoyed shooting semi-autos, but in my months of reading many posts and case scenarios on TFL, I wondered if I would ever get into the lowdown dirty situation where my pistol will fail to perform when I need it most. My Kahr has never had a problem that wasn't operator error when first purchased, but eventually I felt that the less probability of mechanical error, the better. The revolver is so simplistic in function; I don't have to rely on a slide cycling properly in order to shoot it again. I don't have to worry about stovepipes. I can't recall having any mechanical problems with a revolver. I think the Keep It Simple, Stupid principle applies here.

My original intentions were to give dad the pistol as a birthday present if he really liked it, but now I am firmly attached to it. Since there are so many different equivalent models, he may want a different one anyways. Unless he wants to trade for his 1911, which I doubt. :D In THAT case, I'll buy myself another!

BUTCH48

Good for you on the .357, I've been looking HARD at one too. I love my model 85 ss.

Hey Jim March, how or who would be able to put a tritium front sight on an 85?

I like .357 better than .40 too.

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Sights on ported guns

A good friend had a tritium sight put on his snubbie and had it ported by Wiegand. (spelling) The problem is that the tritium dot is covered with soot after the first shot.

Runt, I'd go to Wal-Mart and get a container of automotive touch-up paint. Various colors, so you should find yellow. Degrease your sight with 70% rubbing alcohol and apply the paint with a tooth pick. I taped mine up and that helped. This should get you into a yellow front sight that's pretty durable and good for soot testing for under five bucks.

Giz

Betty

I think I may be able to get a tritium dot installed without it sooting over. I notice the soot mainly covers the sides of the sight and not the rear on mine. As for now, I'll try the fluorescent orange. It may be a little difficult as that part of the sight is textured with horizontal lines and I will have to fill them up.

The only thing I hate about revolvers is cleaning them. I'm clunky. Being able to remove the cylinder would help.

Zander

"The only thing I hate about revolvers is cleaning them. I'm clunky. Being able to remove the cylinder would help." -- runt_

I can help. Pick up a 'Lead Remover' cloth [made by Birchwood Casey] at your favorite gun store or at one of the gun shows coming up next weekemd...the cloth makes short work of all that gunk on the front of the cylinder on stainless revolvers. Just cut a patch and apply elbow grease. :)

CAUTION: Do not use on blued guns...it will remove bluing.

RE: removing the cylinder...

Well, I can tell you how to do that, but I wouldn't remove the cylinder every time I cleaned the revolver.

Drop me an e-mail if you want some instructions.

Betty

Thanks. I will try the lead remover. There I was scrubbing away and those black rings were still all over the cylinder, and I was like, "what the heck and I doing wrong?" I like my piece immaculate when I'm done.

As for the cylinder, I think I'll pass on removing it. I'm just going to have to figure out a good method of easily gripping on to the pistol in a way that I can clean it out efficiently.