Just bought a Russian SKS

RCS

Well, I put it on layaway anyway. It appears to be a Tula manufactured gun, made in 1952. Matching serial numbers, including the stock. There are a couple of dings in the varnish, but overall it is very nice. I found it at a local store for $210 plus tax, which seemed like a pretty good price to me. So, did I do well?

Pampers

Are you asking to be slapped around? Of course, someone out there bought one for less! But, SO WHAT?

I have two of 'em, and they're good guns, especially after I glass bedded them and refinished the laminated stocks.

Lesson: If it's worth what you paid for it TO YOU, then it's worth what you paid for it!

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

------------------
Fred J. Drumheller
NRA Life
NRA Golden Eagle

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
The problem with comparative shopping on the net is location. Fer instance - used M700 remingtons here in South Carolina are very high. It's as cheap to buy a new one at Wal-Mart as it is to get a used one. Browning shotguns are a premium item. Want a Chinese SKS? They are all over the place and at decent prices. Hand guns? We seem to have hit saturation, so, they're cheap too.

So - what Fred said x 2.

(BTW, that's a reasonable price on your SKS here)

Giz

DougB

RCS,

I have a Russian and a Norinco Paratrooper. They were "on sale" for (I think) $265 each - the dealer sold me both to me for $500, and I felt I got a good deal. They were both new, though with a few minor dings. I figured the Russian was worth more than the Chinese, but I wanted a shorter SKS and they are a little hard to find around here. Go to GunsAmerica or GunXchange and I'll bet you see Russians averaging over $300. I think you did fine. Sure, you may find or hear of a cheaper one, but I'll bet for every one you find cheaper, you'll see ten that cost more. I think the current market price of your rifle is more than you paid. The occasional cheaper ones that show up are being sold by people who bought them 10 years ago when they were REALLY cheap, and don't realize how much they have increased in value. That kind of deal is fun to find, but not frequent. At least that's how it looks to me.

Doug

Joe Portale

RCS,

Naw you did about average. The days of the $89 Chi-Com SKS's are long gone. I have been looking for an SKS D for a bit now. I been to every gun show in the area looking at SKS's and they seem to be running in the $125 for the run of the mill POS's (threaded barrels jammed into the receiver and pinned in place)
to some brand new in the box, ain't never been fired collector types for $450. SO if you did come up with a good example for a couple of hundred bucks, you did okay.

I did finally fnd my SKS D, $350. See there are always others dooing dumber things than you. :p

------------------
Joe Portale
Tucson, Arizona Territory

Vote at the polls, now. Or, we will be voting from the roof tops, later.

"Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Politicians prefer unarmed peasants.
I am neither".

Hammy

Hey Gizmo....I'm from SC also. I went to the gunshow this weekend. I realize the dealers need to make a profit, however, their prices are too steep for me. Ammo is about the only thing I buy at gunshows. I recently purchased a Romanian SKS from Aim for 139.95. These days, I consider any SKS for under 200.00 to be a fair deal.

RCS

Of course one of the things is I didn't want just any SKS. I specifically wanted a Russian one, if I was going to get one at all. I knew I could get a Romainian for about $50 less (after shipping and transfer), however it just isn't the same to me.