Just bought a Ruger Mark III 22/45 .22lr

stangfan93

I just bought it about 30 minutes ago and the current time is 3:34pm central time.

I was wondering what kind of ammo anyone who owns one of these use in their ruger Mark I/II/III? I bought some maxi-mags to go along with it and some regular Remington bullets. I was wondering what other ammo i can try in it. There were so many choices at the store and i didnt want to buy them all. Any help would be grateful.

Also has anyone put one of those Tactical Solutions receivers on top of theirs? I like the way they look but i dont know if there is really any kind of benefit to them. Let me know. Thank You

chris in va

I had one for a while. Just buy all sorts of ammo and see what you like best. Certainly cheap enough and entertaining to experiment.

Now I had the MkIII 22/45 4". There was something wrong with mine that made most HP ammo hang up on the feed ramp, no matter what mag I used. The factory sent back a new bolt, but obviously that doesn't have anything to do with the ramp. I sold it and found an older 22/45 that ate anything.

I just browsed through that TS site. Do what you want with it, it's yours to customize. Personally I wouldn't. A small diameter red dot, Weigand mount and Hogue grips would be more entertaining.

jakeswensonmt

I have good luck using CCI mini-mags. They're a touch higher powered than most .22lr's and pretty consistent round-to-round. Not the cheapest, though see them for about $6 for 100. They especially seem to improve reliability in 22lr's with new/stiff springs when a lighter load fails to cycle the slide, making fte's, ftf's, stovepipes.

The Federal 550 bulk packs at Wally Mart are my favorite bargain .22lr, recently I paid about $10 per 550-pack. A pretty decent round, especially considering the price.

Also, on the Remington. 22's, I find that they're somewhat dirtier than most, when I clean there is significantly more powder residue when Remingtons have been used.

Last edited:

Baphomet

CCI Mini Mags shoot so well in MKII that I don't buy anything else.

+1 to the Weigand mount/Red Dot suggestion.

Tac Sol/Volquartson uppers are nice and as I see it the main advantage is the weight you shed vs. one of the longer bull barrels. Of course the Tac Sol's have a definite "bling" factor as well. The standard 6 7/8" slab-side on my MKII GC model shot about as well as my current V. upper, but the lighter V. upper balances far better, especially with my old-school red-dot sight on top. Nothing you need to rush in to, IMO. I think you'll find your standard barrel surprisingly accurate with CCI Mini Mags.

Enjoy... Shooting a good MKII/III is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

RSublime4Life

I am jealous, I have been looking at getting one of those also. I can't decide if I want that or a XD-9 tactical. My .45 is just to expensive to shoot the number of rounds I want to shoot.

-Russ

JDG

Congrats on the new Ruger! Did someone say fun?:D The Weigand mount and reddot scope idea, was the best money I spent on fun!!

guns021.jpg

stangfan93

mine came with a scope mount. should i toss the one Ruger supplied? I listened to what ya'll were saying about the red dot scope and so i went to academy and bought a BSA red dot. Only cost $30 but if there is one that someone can recommend that is a little better then my ears are open and my visa check card is ready. Also it is still in the package and i still have the receipt so i can take the BSA back tomorrow or tonight. Depending on how soon you all reply.

+1 on .45 being too expensive to shoot. I have one and checked at Gander Mtn to see how much the Remington UMC 230gr .45acp 250 round bulk box was and it was $79.99. And that was their "Hot Price"!!!:eek:

6 months ago the same box was going for $65

Ralph Allen

My son just last week bought a Mk III blue/black. Took all the kids, son in law included out to the range yesterday. I have a stainless Mk II with a Tactical Solutions upper (10.5in), his new Mk III, a Walther P22, and an old High Standard Sport King out. Depends on the person shooting. We shot collectively around 800-900 rounds. His Mk III is a lot heavier, but seems to be just as accurate as my Tac Sol Mk II. Like I said, it depends on the shooter, as I can take the 3in Walther P22 and outshoot all my kids, even at 50 yds., but then again, I've got almost as many rounds under my belt as miles.
Ralph

JDG

Dont toss the Ruger mount! My MII needed drilling and tapping to fit the Ruger look-a-like mount. You get what you pay for on red dots. The less expensive dots are not as bright, and the dot is usually bigger. In the bright sun, you need a brighter dot, and one thats to big, covers to much of your target. Got mine on ebay, slightly used for 40 bucks, a middle of the road dot, not the best, but works great:) Dont take your dot back, unless you try it out, and dont like it.

stangfan93

I kind of had my eye on the truglo red dots after i started to look around. not that bad of price. $50 for the basic black 30mm and $60 for the 40mm. i am not to sure yet. i just want some opinions

allenomics

That pistol is not picky. Go with the cheaper stuff; Federal 550, .22LR for $9.88 at Wal-Mart. Less than .02 a round and tons of fun.

Baphomet

For mounting red-dots on MK's I like the Weigand base at the bottom of this page. It puts the weight further back and IMO, is a cleaner looking mounting solution. I used one of those bases for aaaages before I got a Volquartson upper with an integral base.

USNairman

I just purchased my 22/45 this weekend. It will not shoot the Winchester x-perts hollow points hardly at all, They keep hanging up on the feed ramp. Some guys at rimfirecentral have said that had the same problem but after 500-1000 rounds it would start shooting them. I polished the feed ramp but it didn't really help. It will fire just about any round nose bullet just fine though. I plan to get a bulk pack of the Feds. I topped my 22/45 with a Bushnell red dot and absolutely love it.

R2.jpg

Baphomet

USNairman said:
It will not shoot the Winchester x-perts hollow points hardly at all, They keep hanging up on the feed ramp.

It may help to get in the habit of making sure the nose of the first bullet is pushed UP in the magazine before seating it. The feed lips of the MK mags leave some "wiggle room" for the nose of the bullet and often times simply making sure the nose is all the way up while seating the mag will solve the first-round-hanging-on-the-feedramp problem, with all subsequent rounds following suit. Not always, but frequently this helps. Just something to try.

USNairman

Thanks Baphomet, I have tried that and it has not worked. I have gotten the pistol to shoot a few of the x-perts but not many. Occasionally it will fire maybe 2-4 shots and then will get hung up. For the most part is just doesn't like the the hollow point bullets. Now I can shoot any round nosed bullet I like without a single hiccup. I will feed maybe one or two thousand rounds through it and then see how it does on the x-perts.

skeeter1

I bought some maxi-mags to go along with it and some regular Remington bullets.

I hope you meant CCI mini-mags. Maxi-mags are .22WMRs and won't fit your gun. Mini-mags are what my Beretta likes best as well. The really cheap stuff (Winchester Wildcats, Remington Thunderbolts, et.al.) I save for the revolvers and the rifles. They don't seem to care what you stuff in them. The autoloader is a bit more picky.

Have a great time shooting your new Ruger! :D

stangfan93

You know, you dont have to point out my mistakes. J/k MINI-mags is what i bought. I cant wait to go shooting. I havent been able to make it to the range yet but i cant wait to try out all the different ammo that i bought.

Which hollows points work well in this gun? I want to know because it will be my bunny and squirrel buster

clayking

+1 on the Federal Vaule packs. -22 on Remington Golden Bullets for the Mark 111.

I've had the Mark 111 for over a year or so now, and it is a pleasure to shoot. I put a BSA red dot on mine, heck, it's a .22, and it has perfomed flawlessly.

Now, when you disassemble the gun for the first time, good luck. Here's a site for you as my manual is wrong and leaves out a step or two that is required to reassemble the gun...........http://www.guntalk-online.com/fsprocedures.htm

The first time seems crazy as I had to literally bang on the gun with a rubber hammer 30-40 times to get it apart. It's tight. I usually shoot 1500 or so rounds before I strip it and throughly clean......................ck