Just bought a Father's Day present...

MLeake

... for my lady's father. Her parents came down for the weekend for her pinning (just graduated with a second bachelor's, this time an RN/BSN), and her dad went to the range with me yesterday.

He liked the K frames he shot, a Model 18 and a Model 65. He also liked the Ahrends finger grooves on my 65. He had no interest in shooting .357, the .38 was enough recoil for him. He's been looking for a nightstand gun, and something he can take on turkey hunts for protection against 4-legged critters of the coyote and similar type.

Meanwhile, I had read about good deals with police trade-ins via J&G Sales here on the forum.

Just got off the phone with J&G; nice guys. Ordered a Very Good Plus 4" Model 10 Heavy Barrel from a Brink's Security trade-in for $259. Leanne's dad should have it next week.

Before calling J&G, I had checked on GunBroker to find an FFL near Leanne's dad; found one less than four miles from his house. Called the FFL, and verified that he would do the transfer.

After ordering the gun, I ordered some Ahrend's square K-frame tactical Moradillo finger-groove grips from gripseller on GunBroker (aka Terri, very nice lady). She carries Ahrend's and Altamont revolver grips, and also has some 1911 grips. Easy to deal with, reasonable prices, and always pleasant on the phone.

Finished off the set with a couple boxes of Buffalo Bore 158gr standard pressure LSWCHP. They are supposed to push 1000fps from a 4" S&W. I have them in my 442, and they aren't punishing in that. Should be a cakewalk in a 10HB.

We'll see how he likes them, next week.

aarondhgraham

Nice gift,,,

I wish my former in-laws would have been into shooting,,,
He had some interesting handguns he inherited from various relatives,,,
They are probably still all tucked away in that cardboard box in his tool closet.

I wanted to (and tried to) buy his S&W 1917 revolver,,,
And the GI .45 he carried through WW-II.

Aarond

MLeake

Don is more into shotguns; he loves turkey hunting. He used to be into bow-hunting, but a bad knee has taken that off the table. I can imagine deer all over Missouri and Iowa breathing sighs of relief...

I've lucked out. We both get along quite well with the other's parents.

The dogs get along, too.

Meanwhile, Aaron, any recommendations on a holster that would double for field duty and possible CCW (he intends to get a permit)?

aarondhgraham

Hello MLeake,,,

Actually I'm not up on manufactured holsters at all,,,
I do see a gentleman at my range wearing a nice Galco holster,,,
It's a basic rig but has slots for strong side carry or cross-draw carry.

He wears it with a S&W Model 15 so it should fit the Model 10 as well.

I would imagine strong side for conceal and cross-draw for field use.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Aarond

BigJimP

I don't like the cross-draw idea ( too many things get swept as you bring gun up ) ....

most any good leather holster is fine / something model specific from Kramer leather is going to cost you around $ 125 ( but its a very good holster ) ..but there are others out there too ...but I would stay with a good leather holster ( there are some good holsters around used / if you can find one for the model 10). At least look at the Kramer website..

Dillon precision is handling some holsters too now ....and one of my buddies has one of their leather holsters - a safariland that I think was around $ 80 ...and it looks pretty well made. Their catalog / website has a few options.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/co...land_Custom_Fit__holster567__4_quot__revolver

he's carrying a K frame model 19 in it.

spacecoast

Nice going, a 4" Model 10 is pretty much the ideal nightstand/range gun. I bought a pair of 64s (stainless 10s) a couple of years ago for $200 each and they are great. I persuaded my stepfather to use one as his nightstand gun instead of his ancient Colt .380 and we use the Remington 158 gr. LSWCHP +Ps in them.

twin64s.jpg