Just being curious

cannonfire

Are military sniper rifles considered NFA? I mean like Dragonovs with military-spec scopes, etc. Just curious, I dont know much about this subject. Are there any limitations that the average "joe" can't purchase when buying a rifle?

Chipperman

Short answer is, "No, they are not NFA".

Longer answer is that they must be .50 cal or less, not select fire, have a barrel 16" or longer. etc.

So for your average "Sniper Rifle" which is bolt action or semi-auto, .30 or thereabouts, with a long barrel..... they are not NFA.

kraigwy

Kind of hard to classify "sniper" rifles as NFA rifles sinse a rifle is classified as a Sniper rifle, not because of the rifle, but because how its use.

A good example would be the 98 Mauser & Mosin Nagant, with or without scopes were probably the most successful sniper rifles in history as far a "kills" go. They didnt get that reputation because somebody stamped the word "SNIPER" or "TACTICAL" on the reciever. Or that they had a super duper COUNTER SNIPER SCOPE.

They got that way because the way they were used in a "target rich" enviorment.

A better example is the Model 700...........the army uses them for a Siper Rifle ..........civilian LE uses them as a Counter-Sniper Rifle............The differance is PC.............dont want a bunch of cop snipers running around so they are called Counter-Snipers.

No Sir, to ban or regulate "sniper rifles" is to ban every rifle (and possible Pistol) out there.

Sorry, didnt mean to hijack the thread, its a pet peeve of mine. The term Sniper & Tactical are really nothing more then sales gimmics that jack the price up on guns, scopes, knives, watches.........the list is endless.

300magman

^^^^

You guys are halarious today :D

More for the OP, my family has a "sniper rifle" on the gun rack....at least thats what it was back in its service days....its actually the least accurate gun on the rack and its just used as a general beat around deer gun nowadays, looks very unassuming compared to some of the newer rifles it sits beside.

Jimro

It isn't truly "tactical sniper" until you add words like "milspec coatings" and "saltwater immersion testing".

Jimro

Palmetto-Pride

I thought about selling "Tactical Vegetable Peelers" they look like regular vegetable peelers except for they have the word tactical on them, they are worth a lot more. Let me know if anyone is interested.......:)