Just Because?

Delaware_Dan

You ever buy a gun because you think you should own one to "round out" the collection? I bought my GP100 and my 1911 for that same reason but now that justification is evolving. Last month I found myself wanting a Glock 19 just for the sake of having one, even though they don't fit my hand well. I really wish they did, Glocks are fine guns, and the option of a reliable 32 round pistol mag makes them all the more desirable. Oh well.

Now I have decided that I'm gonna put a Ruger P95 Stainless on layaway, just so I will have one. You know, just to know I have a handgun that will go bang every time. It seems like once a month I have this new justification for a new niche gun, and it's breaking the bank. I'm just glad the AR bug hasn't hit me yet. Anyone else feel my pain?

Oh and tell me about your P95 impressions, I'm looking for anything negitive but I have not found much, so any problems let me know. Thanks in advance.

-Dan

Skan21

I'm building an AR-10 long range target rifle just because. It's part wondering how much of a pain it's going to be, part I just kinda want one. I've never wanted one before though.

wvshooter

Funny you should mention glock. I am not a fan of glock. I don't like the way they look. I really don't like anything about glocks. BUT... glocks work. I've never owned one but I am absolutely sure I will buy one someday. You can disagree but I honestly believe everybody should own at least one glock. Why? Because glock handguns are an icon. I respect that. And that's enough reason for me to buy one.

Teuthis

Purchasing firearms indiscriminately is obsessive/compulsive behavior. People obsessively collect many different types of items: shoes, coins, clothes, cars,etc. in the same manner for the same reason. I think one should question such behavior as it can lead to familial disconcent, financial problems and a reinforcement of abberant behavior that is akin to gambling, risk-taking, and can become self destructive.

By all means have the firearms you can afford, and that have a purpose in your collection. But purchasing them from sheer compulsion is not condusive to good mental health. Perhaps a balanced collection, including shotguns, rifles and those handguns that have a legitimate purpose in your pursuit of the hobby would be the best plan.

RogerThat09

Purchasing firearms indiscriminately is obsessive/compulsive behavior. People obsessively collect many different types of items: shoes, coins, clothes, cars,etc. in the same manner for the same reason. I think one should question such behavior as it can lead to familial disconcent, financial problems and a reinforcement of abberant behavior that is akin to gambling, risk-taking, and can become self destructive.

By all means have the firearms you can afford, and that have a purpose in your collection. But purchasing them from sheer compulsion is not condusive to good mental health. Perhaps a balanced collection, including shotguns, rifles and those handguns that have a legitimate purpose in your pursuit of the hobby would be the best plan.

I say if the man wants a drink... than let the man drink! lol
No but good points. I know I'm a compulsive buyer. If I had enough money I would eventually buy every gun I've ever liked.

T. O'Heir

"...to "round out" the collection?..." Nope. However, "I want one." is reason enough.
"...even though they don't fit my hand well...." Don't even think about buying a handgun that doesn't fit your hand. Colossal waste of money. Be like buying an off the rack suit that doesn't fit.
"...Because Glock handguns are an icon...just so I will have one..." Where? Silly reason to buy anything.

RogerThat09

I say if you want something, budget for it and save, and than once you have enough money saved... ask yourself do I still want-need this as much as I did when I first started saving? If so than go ahead and buy it. I really should heed my own advice, :rolleyes:

Sixer

I'm in the process of saving for a few "niche" guns to round out my collection. I need a long range rifle, a pocket carry gun, and a 1911. To me these are all guns that will serve a specific purpose, therefore I NEED them :) A bolt action hunting rifle... for when I decide to start hunting. A pistola small enough to carry in the front pocket of my dress slacks. A 1911 because... well because it's a 1911 and everyone needs a 1911 right? Oh and I don't own a revolver either, so I probably need one! Ha, I have a feeling that even after those needs are satisfied I will still be able to come with plenty of other niches to fill. Did somebody say GUN NUT? :D

m&p45acp10+1

I have let me see here:
Egyptian SKS paid $50 more for it than I did for my 2 Chineese models at a gunshow just to have one that was differant.
Spanish Mauser 8mm, I have several that I inherited from grampa that are German, and a Sweedish one. It was in poor condition, but hey it is different, and the price was cheap.
Charles Daly 1911 I have several surplus from grampa, and one that he had customised for me for my 13th birthday. Along with a couple of Gold Cups. Again it was differant from the others and the price was right.
I did it more times than I can count. I would have to drive an hour to dad's house and open the safes to tell of all of them(there are a lot of them):D

madmag

Yes, ever since I ran out of the normal excuses to the wife:

-I need it because I don't have that caliber.
-I need it because it's compact.
-I need it because it's large frame.
-I need it because it's metal frame.
-I need it because it's poly frame.
-I need it because it's double stack.
-I need it because it's single stack.
-I need it because it's part of history and will be worth money someday (worked for several years).

Well, just because I like the way it looks and I think it would be neat to shoot.:)

nitetrane98

My last four handgun puchases have been , "because I wanted them."

As it so happens they also filled niches. Actually, the main goal was to have a gun for every caliber that I was capable of reloading for. At the time all I had was a Colt Delta Gold Cup. I covered .40 S&W with a drop in barrel for it, bought a Browning HP for 9mm, a Metro Arms Firestorm Deluxe for a .45 and a Browning BDA for .380. Thought I was done and realized I didn't have a revolver for the very first caliber I ever reloaded, 38/.357. A nice 8" Colt Trooper MK III took care of that.

I wouldn't buy just any gun to fill those holes. I don't ever see me buying a Glock because it's an "icon". They give me the heebie jeebies just to pick one up. They feel that bad to me. That's basically my first and only test for a handgun.

Mello2u

Delaware_Dan

Just Because?
You ever buy a gun because you think you should own one to "round out" the collection?
Most of my purchases of firearms over the last 35 years have been based on that. Ain't it great to be an American?

My latest purchase was based on avoiding rust on my carry gun, so I "needed" a stainless 1911 in 10mm auto to carry. I've been sweating on it more this year than in past years. I have noticed accumulations of rust where I sweat on it which did not happen to this extent before this year.

Hopefully my Dan Wesson CBOB will be here later this week.

comn-cents

Way to often Dan.
Just did the same with a sig p232. I looked up it's weight and the weight of 5 other guns and that was my little justification. :D
As for the Glock I've had a few over the years and always let them go because they don't fit my hand well, I shoot them well just not my cup of tea, I mean punch.
As for the p95 I prefer the p89. It shoots better for me.

bigghoss

the only trouble I had with my p95 which is coming up on 5 years old and Lord now how many rounds is twice the slide has stripped the recoil spring retaining clip off and the second time I lost it. I replaced it by cutting a coil off a small spring to use as a stopgap. fortunately the gun will run just as good without the clip so if it happens no worries.

greyson97

i'm just lucky the guns i want are relatively inexpensive, or havent been made yet or are in production. so either i cant buy them, or if i do, its not a huge hit on my bank account...ahahah who am i kidding, my credit card.

although i will say, I bought a benelli m4, and i havent looked at another shotgun since.

another factor is i wont buy a gun if the ammo acquisition is too expensive or difficult. like .45s, 10mm, .44mag

although if i do have a healthy supply of bullets and the ability to replenish them easily and cheaply i have little qualms of impulse buying them (last month or so, i bought a browning buckmark, a gsg .22 ak, and a cz 452 fs bolt action) being that .22lr is so cheap and readily available, i can make full use of these guns cause i'll be shooting them a lot.

as for buying a glock, even though they dont fit your hand, i can understand your point, but theres an upper limit for me. if i hold a gun, and its fit to my hand is outright atrocious, i dont care how iconic it is, not gonna get it.

fightingbard

Actually yes..:)

I bought a 92fs inox one time...
Just because I thought inox was beautiful and the gun has a respected reputation being in service for all these long years... "Everyone interested in collecting fireams should have one" I said to myself...

Then one day, I finally came to a conclusion that the grip is too large for me to handle comfortably. So I sold it...

Now, I think I should not have sold it...:(
Because it was beautiful and has a respected reputation being in service for all these long years... "Everyone collecting fireams should have one...
How about that...:D

All the best