Just a small pet peave of mine.

fivepaknh

Does anyone else find it annoying when people correct others for using the incorrect terminology? The reason I bring this up is, I just read another thread where someone referred to cartridges as bullets(and no it wasn't me). Then someone jumped in and corrected him that the bullet is only the projectile. :rolleyes:

I know the difference between a clip and a magazine, and a bullet and a cartridge, but in casual conversation I might say "30 round clip". Unless you're teaching a class, who really cares? This applies to many other areas besides firearms too, where some anal blowhard has to show off his knowledge. Am I alone here or does this bother anyone else?

That kind of stuff bothers me also, but I just try to ignore it. There are a lot of anal retentive people in this world. They're just trying to show you how much they know. BTW, I don't want to hear you or anyone else talk about the .45 "Long Colt" ever again. :D :D :D

P.S. There are some scholars who feel that "anal retentive" should be hyphenated. I will not respond to complaints concerning that subject.

Hkmp5sd

Doesn't really bother me when people correct me since I know the correct terms, even if I don't always use them.

On the other hand, it does irritate the hell out of me when people use the term "Assault Rifle" to refer to a semi-auto only firearm. Especially if those persons are politicians, reporters or LEO's.

Guess I'm only semi-anal~retentive. :)

Texas2NC

I guess I will have to disagree with the original poster on this topic.

Language can be as effective a weapon as a handgun. Improperly used laguage can be used against you and imprecise terms can lead to confusion.

If you mean magazine, say magazine and you won't be accused of being some wanna-be gang banger.

"Yo, I slapped a clip in my gat and popped a cap in his mutha****** a**....."

If we are to be an accurate sampling of the gun-owning community, it behooves us to be a good example. On the net, we are judged as much by our typing and lauguage skills as we are by our knowledge. I am more likely to take advice from a poster who can clearly and concisely get his/her point across than from someone who continually uses the wrong terms or someone who doesn't take the time to do a quick proof-read of their posts.

Typos happen, bad language/terminology habits are learned.

MitchSchaft

I believe that using correct terminology is definately the way to go. I'm not that anal-retentive, but using correct terminology has its' purpose.

Jorah Lavin

I agree with Mitch... With a correction

I believe that using correct terminology is definately the way to go. I'm not that anal-retentive, but using correct terminology has its' purpose.

Possessive "its" has no apostrophe...

"definately" is spelled "definitely"

And yes, people do accuse me of being retentive. I don't mind.

WyldOne

Until my "change" (LOL that sounds weird... :D), I got all of my misinformation about guns from the television and pop culture.

So, I make a million mistakes -- especially with terminology.

But the only way for me to learn, is if people correct me. So, no it doesn't bother me at all, actually it's really helpful. :)

One should never be afraid of learning of one's mistakes, whether it's something as trivial as saying "bullet" instead of "cartridge" or something as major as referring to Bill Clinton as anything other than a lying, cheating, weasel. :)

Long Path

"Clip" when you mean "magazine" is so common, I've almost gotten over grinding my teeth over it. Almost.

I refuse to accept "bullet" and "cartridge" interchangably.

My father is against the use of "grips" when you mean "stocks" when referring to that portion of the pistol by which you take a grip on the weapon. I have to admit this one's a hard one for me to give up on. ;)

I've about gotten to where "A.D."/"Accidental Discharge" cause me consternation, as 99.9% of them are truly "Negligent Discharges".

It bothers me to hear "States' Rights" stated when one is actually referring to "States' Powers." States don't have rights-- those are only conferred upon people.

There're more, but I don't want to appear to have a complex or anything. :)

Arcadian62

I can relate to this. In a couple of threads I tried to correct the improper use of AD/ND. I got flamed by a few posters as a result. I DO see where you are coming from in saying some people try to "show off", but it was never MY intent.
I know the difference between a clip and a magazine, and a bullet and a cartridge, but in casual conversation I might say "30 round clip". Unless you're teaching a class, who really cares?
I really don't get it? Why not use the proper term in "casual conversation" if you know it? Unless maybe you're afraid of "showing off"? Don't worry what other people think. Heaven forbid we should use the proper terms outside the classroom:rolleyes:
This reminds me of a thread a couple years ago (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4423&highlight=language+grunt) in which Matt VDW so eloquently said:

"Since accuracy and precision in language are rightly suspected of indicating accuracy and precision in thought, and since such mental habits clash with the spirit of our times, we can expect the dumbing down of terminology to continue. In another generation we'll be sticking doo-hickies into thingamajigs, and shortly after that we'll simply grunt at each other as we roll around in our own filth."

Last edited:

ronin308

I think it's a good thing when people correct other people's terminology. I don't call my shotgun a rifle for a reason. Nor do I call my magazine a clip. Words are frequently interchangable, but when speaking about technical subjects interchanging words is a bad idea. Bad grammar and spelling are one thing, but calling an objects by the incorrect name is another.

Brian Gibbons

I don't want to get off topic, but ...

how many bullets can you actually fit into the clip of a ".45 Colt Long" Assault Pistol? Thanks :)

gryphon

Using the correct terminology has it's place and should be used.

Think of it this way. If you went into work and told your boss that you're working on that thingy for him and it will be done when the little hand is on the 3 and the big hand is on the 12, don't you think that your boss would lose a little trust and faith in you?

I'm not saying you have to be a brain trust, but in order for you to get any respect from your peers, you need to display that you have an ability to hold a conversation in an intelligent manner.

This is the same reason that whenever someone I work with tries to speak to me in "ebonics", I refuse to respond. If you want respect, then treat me like the professional that I am, not some "hood rat".

So, yes, proper terminology, pronunciation, and spelling are all important factors.