Just a reminder to watch your ammo.....

hoytinak

Took the Glock 19 to the range today for the first time since I got it back from the grip reduction. On the first mag about halfwalf through I had a malfunction where the slide caught the brass backwards as it was ejecting. Well I just racked the slide to clear it and chamber a new round not thinking anything of it. Then went on to firing several mags without any problems, till I was loading a mag and noticed a .380 round in my hand that I was about to load in the mag. Well, that got me thinking and I started looking at the brass (I was picking it up as I shot) and noticed that the malfunctioned round was infact a .380 that I had fired. It was a box of about 400 reloaded 9mm that I had somehow gonna about 6 .380s in it. Guess I should have known something was up from the moment my G19 malfunctioned though. ;)

nate45

Then went on to firing several mags without any problems, till I was loading a mag and noticed a .380 round in my hand that I was about to load in the mag.

Thats is good advice hoytinak, sometimes its easy to get similar rounds mixed up.

Just last year I loaded up about 500 rounds of .223 in a mixed assortment of brass I had scrounged from a local range. Several of the cases were .222 Magnums and I loaded them right along with the .223. I never noticed this error until I fired one of them in my AR. No damage was done and the only resulting problem was that extractor would not grasp the rim. Still it was a lesson in that we should all be extra vigilant that such mix ups do not occur.

BigV

Here’s a pic of a .40 that my son inadvertently loaded up in one of my .45, 1911 mags.
Shot it through my Kimber CDP and the .40 casing did not eject.
162945.JPG

B.N.Real

Anyone as lucky as we are to have multiple calibers of handguns can make this mistake.

Thanks for the heads up.

45_Shooter

Good reminder; at least the majority of the cartridges that usually can get mis-loaded into a pistol are lower in power than the correct cartridge and generally don't blow the pistol up.

I think the most dangerous error is accidentally loading a 20 Ga in a 12 ga, which falls down in the chamber, but not out the barrel. A 12 ga shell can be loaded behind it with catastropic results. I had to stop an inexperienced shooter a couple years back who almost did this.

Sgt127

Seen it done or done it myself:
.380 in a 9mm
.40 in a .45
.357 SIG in .40.

Theres always so much space for gas to go around the bullet, the chance of a major problem is pretty small....Still feel stupid anytime I've done it.

Now, the shotgun guys tell me mixing a 20 GA in a box of 12 GA can get really exciting...

clayking

That is one of the reasons that I put my loads into boxes designed for that cartridge, then look at it themfrom a top level view, and then run my finger along each row looking for primers not set correctly or rounds too long or too short.......................ck

nutty ned

Fortunately, the only time I tried to do something like that was to try and shoot a .45acp in a .40. The .45 went in the mag just fine and of course not in the chamber. I was so sure I knew what I was doing that I tried to chamber it 3 or 4 times. It was a rat shot rnd and they, because of their peculiar shape, are nor obvious as to caliber difference.

oneounceload

I shoot .22, 32 SWL, 9mm, 38spl, and 45 - one of the reasons is to avoid that exact peoblem....380 and 9mm are WAY too close to not inspect carefully