Just a little curious? If my State is similar to yours..

How many of us had to go thru some sort of formal training sessions before being issued our C.C.W. permit? any fee's? any tests? involved.
I'm wondering why my C.C.W. isn't valid in all States?:(

word "secessions" Ops! I'll correct immediately Sorry about that. :) lol

Thanks for bringing this Link to our attention Aguila Blanca & Flopsweat. Very helpful info read there

Thanks to all who have participated to date. Appreciate it on this end. Those who haven't yet. Please do.

You know this is getting to be a better and better read each & every day.

Last edited:

BConklin

I'm a Yankee so please go easy with the word "secessions"

But to answer your question: in CT you have to get pistol safety training from an NRA certified instructor. This cost me $125 at my LGS where they hold the classes.

The class itself took one meeting. there was a written test, then we went to a range and the instructor had us load and fire both revolvers and semi automatics. Then she gave us our certificates.

I then took my certificate, along with my birth certificate and a completed application for a temporary permit to the local law enforcement authority in my town. I paid $75 as I recall, for fingerprinting for the FBI background check, and another $200 for application fees.

After my background check came back, the local police chief decided whether he'd grant me a temporary permit - this part is "may grant" in CT. He did so. Had he decided not to - he needn't have given a reason to me - but I could appeal his decision with the state.

Once he issued me a temporary permit, I had 30 days, if I recall, to take that permit to the state police barracks and apply for a 5 year state "permit to carry pistols and revolvers"
This part is "shall grant" in CT (as long as you've never been found guilty of certain crimes and yadda yadda yadda) The 5 year permit cost me $35.

Renewal is done without any further need of instruction or temporary permits through the local law enforcement.

My home state requires a handgun safety class the equivalent of the NRA "Basic Handgun" curriculum, and must include live fire. "First Steps" and "Personal Protection" classes are not recognized.

I have a Pennsylvania non-resident license. (Actually, there's no such critter. I have a PA licnse and I am not a PA resident.) No training requirement.

I also have a Florida non-resident. Proof of firearms (not "handgun") safety training is required. Florida accepted my DD-214 for this requirement.

Check out www.handgunlaw.us. You'll find that many of the states that DON'T recognize other states are due to lack of a training requirement.

Verbal Clint

I'm not too sure but I would guess that it either has to do with a state's issuance policies may be more strict than others so they don't honor other states' CHL's. Also, I don't know about all states but at least TX has a stipulation where you can't get one if you owe the state money.

TheNocturnus

I live in Missouri and I had to take an 8 hour class. Topics covered were laws, safety, scenarios, types of guns, proper drawing techniques, dealing with law enforcement after a shooting. Also had to pass a shooting test. Was required to shoot a .22lr auto, 25 rounds. Had to hit 20/25 shots at least in the 8 ring.

My CCW is honored in most states fortunately.

These states do not honor my Missouri CCW permit:

California
Connecticut
Hawaii
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Jersey
New York
Oregon
Rhode Island
Wisconsin
Illinois (They are the only state that does not allow some sort of CCW)

Eagleks

Some states are required to do "reciprocal" agreements, so if the other state won't recognize them or do a reciprocal agreement, or can't, then it's a no go.

Also depends a lot of your Atty General and how pro-active they are about it.

There are , I think at last count, seven states that recognize everyone's permits. Our state has a bill to join that group of states, and we'll see if it passes.

Rhode Island, refuses to recognize "any" other states licenses at all.

Then there are states that require a "gun permit" in their state, and won't issue one even temporarily to a non-resident. That is now being challenged in the courts.

Flopsweat

This site will give you a lot of info on state laws and reciprocity. http://handgunlaw.us/ My state is Shall Issue, so I just went in and applied, was fingerprinted and received it in the mail a few weeks later. Some cities seem to try to make things a little difficult - applications only accepted for a few hours one or two days a week in the middle of a weekday, waiting the entire 30 day maximum to issue the license, etc, but they don't go so far with it that I'd make an issue of it with them.

Spiderwire

NC CCW

There is an 8 hour class (videos, class instructor, story time with the local police spokesperson). I have to admit, it is an informative all day session.

The whole ordeal is finished up by a competency fire session at the range. Police instructor barks the orders of where to shoot and how many times.

If we pass we get a certificate, we pay the state (application), and wait for the little plastic card in the mail.

Depending which county you live in, the waiting period can be anywhere from 10 days to 90 days.

jmr40

No class in Georgia. Just fill out the paperwork, get fingerprinted, pay fees, and wait for the background check to clear every 5 years.

AH.74

New Mexico has the most stringent requirements to get and keep a license that I am aware of. It can be considered a PITA, but it is what it is and if you want the license you need to just grin and bear it.

15 hours minimum training, classroom and shooting included. 10 shots at 3 yards and 15 shots at 7 yards. I can't recall off the top of my head what the percentages are but it's something like 76 or 80. Your hits on the paper are counted. So to put multiple hits through the same hole counts as a negative (this happened to me)!

You must also qualify with both semi and revolver, if you want to be able to cc both. Also (too many also's, I know) you qualify by caliber- you can carry only the caliber you qualify with or below. So for example if you qualify with a .357 magnum revolver you cannot carry a .44. Same with semis.

At the 2 year mid-point you need to re-qualify with shooting. Technically this is supposed to also include some classroom time to review any changes to the law, for 2 hours total time. And then at the 4 year renewal point the same thing, but 4 hours total.

As I said, PITA. But necessary if you want to get and keep it.

chadstrickland

I just walked into the sheriff office and asked...although I do know the sheriff personally ( so do a bunch of other people)

Cost me 20 bucks :(...but oh well :)

pgdion

Which state are you in Sure shot? MN, WI, or MI?

I had to take a short class, about 5 hours. Covered mostly the legal aspects of carry with some basic hand gun info and basic safety (as there are always some in the class who have never shot a gun :confused:). Also had about 30 min of fun time for the range proficiency test. Cost is $90 for a new permit and $80 for renewal. Was overall a good class and taught by a couple of really good guys (one form the SWAT team). The permit to carry is then another $50 to the county if I remember correctly.

dajowi

A class is required. The class has to be taught by a NRA instructor. Anything from formal classroom instruction to just a couple of hours going over handgun basics and safety. Sometimes without actually firing any weapons.

The license is good for 4 years. Fees are $50 for the Sheriff's department plus
$15 to the State Police for the background check. Permits are usually received in two weeks or less.

In this state the process of getting all the paperwork and CLEO sign offs on a Form 4 for machine guns and suppressors is just as quick and easy.

Mello2u

The state of Georgia does not require any training class to issue a five (5) year carry license. Total cost $90.00.

It does put you through three steps:

Step 1: Carry License Application
PAY $70.00 CASH or local check.

Step 2: Back Ground Check Application
Fill out forms & pay $15.00 CASH or money order!

Step 3: Finger Prints
$5.00 CASH or money order, EXACT amount!

drail

No training class in Indiana. We have a LTCH (License to Carry Handgun) Good for four years. Or you can pay extra and get a Lifetime license. The State doesn't care if you carry open or concealed although most cops here mistakenly seem to believe you may only carry concealed on the license. Most of them will tell you you're wrong if you try to correct them.:D I feel that some sort of qualification skills test would probably be a good idea simply to weed out the REALLY stupid citizens but then you have to decide who is going to write it and if THEY arre qualified to do that. Of course they give a driver's license to anyone here. I think my Labrador could probably pass that test. (and score really high):D

Last edited:

shortwave

Twelve hour class (10hrs. class-time, 2hrs. range-time) conducted by an NRA or other State of Ohio approved certified instructor required in Ohio.

When class is finalized, a certificate of completion is issue'd. Cert. of completion is taken to LE where an application, including background check is performed. If license is granted, you must return to LE where your finger printed and photographed. Lic. issued with photo was good for 4yrs but I think is now good for 5yrs.

Hopefully Ohio will go to a 'life-time' license.

Last edited:

FlyFish

I recently relocated from MA to NH, so I'll give you a quick rundown on both states:

MA: I got my CCW long ago, so didn't have to jump through these hoops, but the current procedure is . . . First, be sure to live in a town where the LEO will actually issue CCWs; they have total discretion in MA and some simply don't issue them under any circumstances to "common" people. Then, figure out what the LEO wants from you; again, they have total discretion to make it up as they go along. Some (I think most now) require an approved training class, some want letters of reference, others require a range test, etc. Complete your application, get fingerprinted, pay your $100, and wait, and wait, and wait . . . Typically your permit (known as a "License to Carry") will come in in about 90 days. For first timers, many LEOs will restrict it to "Target and Hunting" so it's not really a CCW at all, and they have the ability to put whatever other restriction(s) they want. And that's just the Readers' Digest version - they don't call it the Peoples' Republic for nothing.

NH: Open carry requires no permit. For CCW, download simple one-page application, mail to LEO, get call in a couple days to come down and pick up permit. I read that the municipality can charge $10 to process the application, so I included a check. They handed it back to me when I picked up my permit, with a smile, saying "we don't charge." Damn, I love it here.