Just a fun pic that ya'll should appreciate

InigoMontoya

I assure you this is NOT a photoshop. I loaded the load myself and took the pics myself. Admittedly, there's more there than meets the eye, but it's a fun pic regardless.

PS: Don't try this at home. It was done as part of a laboratory experiment under tightly controlled conditions.

Attachments

• hotload.jpg
    hotload.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 1,180
Last edited:

Jector

:eek:

Are these the "pressure signs" that you watch for when working up a load? LOL

Glad your still here to show us the drama!

dozernomore

just one word,,,,,,,,WOW !!!!!,I have only been reloading for about a year now,,,I guess that is what you call HoT,,,LOL

amathis

Just curious as to how the bottom of the cases flattened out that much. Was that part of the experiment or did the hot load just compress the brass that much.

InigoMontoya

Obviously we knew we were going to be pushing the gun hard. The thought that brass would get STUCK in the breech was on our mind and somebody suggested a bevel on the back edge of the breech. The idea being that we would be able to grab the back of the brass with a pair of pliers to get it out.

As you can see, all that happened was the brass extruded to fill the bevel.

Tex S

What was the load? I can understand if you don't wanna post it here, and if thats the case please send me a pm.

Was the cartridge fired in your LGG?

Last edited:

InigoMontoya

Approximately 1 pound of 50 BMG. :D

(the .300 win mag is just used as a booster to get things going)

edit: No, Tex, it wasn't in the LGG, but the gun in question is obviously another laboratory tool.

Last edited:

m&p45acp10+1

Would you happen to be related to the late great Elmer Keith? LOL. He said he blew up a few working up loads. I guess you could say that those are sighns of a slight overcharge.

InigoMontoya

Mongoose, that particular gun is in regular usage. EVERY casing that comes out of it looks like that. Those just happened to be the first two casings (pic is actually a couple years old).

Ozzieman

Interesting photo and I am sure it was fun as long as no one got hurt but I would question "WHY"?
I understand that it’s a libratory tool but what was the reason for a load that appears to be so far over the max pressure that I would question if you could get enough powder in a 300 mag case to get that kind of over pressure.
TNT maybe but other wise it must have been a VERY VERY fast powder.
What ever you’re doing,,,,, I want your job.

Dilbert

So, for those of us not in the know, what's going on here? A full pound of 50BMG?

Last edited:

InigoMontoya

Not really much to say that hasn't already been implied...

A large gun.

Main charge is rougly 1 pound of 50 BMG.

A .300 win mag case (filled with a fast burning powder) is used to speed ignition of the main charge.

The .300 win mag case does not fare well.

InigoMontoya

We shoot saboted projectiles to very high velocities (Mach 6+) to answer questions regarding high speed impacts. Basically, the gun in question has a mission very similar to that of a 2-stage light gas gun, but the velocities are a bit lower so we can get away with a simple (albeit large) powder gun.